User Tag List

Page 52 of 68 FirstFirst ... 424344454647484950515253545556575859606162 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1345

Thread: NFS Chainlube & Race Grease: The wait is over

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New O.T. Use for NFS!

Pitching Race grease. The product they use is very similar to the gold standard I sought to improve when I was devising Race Grease. Think about it....there are only a few safe solid greases we trust right?
    Race Grease is a huge improvement on a product which probably did not need a replacement. Raising the bar means fewer problems with grease failure in extreme conditions, greater time to failure eg people fail to do any maintenance blah blah blah.

Tough sell
    Quote Originally Posted by bdaghisallo View Post
    Were you pitching for bearing grease or for the pawl lubricant, or both? And what were you proposing to use for the pawls? Curious if it's what I am doing.

I just put some Race Grease on my DT ratchets and we'll see how it goes. It has passed the workstand test with flying colors!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. Thanks Josh.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Pitching Race grease. The product they use is very similar to the gold standard I sought to improve when I was devising Race Grease. Think about it....there are only a few safe solid greases we trust right?
    Race Grease is a huge improvement on a product which probably did not need a replacement. Raising the bar means fewer problems with grease failure in extreme conditions, greater time to failure eg people fail to do any maintenance blah blah blah.

Tough sell

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Were you pitching for bearing grease or for the pawl lubricant, or both? And what were you proposing to use for the pawls? Curious if it's what I am doing.

I just put some Race Grease on my DT ratchets and we'll see how it goes. It has passed the workstand test with flying colors!
    Having put a few hours on my 240s hub with NFS Race Grease in it, I can report that it is working much better than the standard DT ratchet grease. Every DT hub I have owned has had the DT grease in there and they always make a wah wah wah sound as they freewheel, almost as if the grease is not getting distributed evenly inside the hub. With the Race Grease, the only sound you get is a long waaaaaaaaah and it rolls really well.

NFS - it just f*cking works!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right the eff on.
    Having put a few hours on my 240s hub with NFS Race Grease in it, I can report that it is working much better than the standard DT ratchet grease. Every DT hub I have owned has had the DT grease in there and they always make a wah wah wah sound as they freewheel, almost as if the grease is not getting distributed evenly inside the hub. With the Race Grease, the only sound you get is a long waaaaaaaaah and it rolls really well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feeling ready to taste the Kool-Aid. Do you have any distributors in Australia with a web store? The Xtreme cycle skate website is dead. I have a feeling the proprietor of said shop is lurking on here...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vandenberg View Post
    Feeling ready to taste the Kool-Aid. Do you have any distributors in Australia with a web store? The Xtreme cycle skate website is dead. I have a feeling the proprietor of said shop is lurking on here...
    That's your best shot for local. I do free shipping anywhere with a $30 min. purchase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another data point -
    Over the last year I have been using a set of Mavics that have their "new" freehub which is essentially the DT star system.
    A couple of weeks ago I was cleaning it for the first time in ~5,000 miles and put some NFS grease in.
    I don't know how sensitive the DT mechanisms are, but the Mavic version is very sensitive to too much grease. The freehub will not freewheel freely :)
    The test - Put the bike on a stand, crank up the back wheel, let go of the crank, watch the crank keep spinning. If you hold the crank while the wheel is spinning, the chain goes slack in a big way. If this happens you have too much grease in there.

A very small amount goes a long way and keep things spinning freely.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bewheels View Post
    Another data point -
    Over the last year I have been using a set of Mavics that have their "new" freehub which is essentially the DT star system.
    A couple of weeks ago I was cleaning it for the first time in ~5,000 miles and put some NFS grease in.
    I don't know how sensitive the DT mechanisms are, but the Mavic version is very sensitive to too much grease. The freehub will not freewheel freely :)
    The test - Put the bike on a stand, crank up the back wheel, let go of the crank, watch the crank keep spinning. If you hold the crank while the wheel is spinning, the chain goes slack in a big way. If this happens you have too much grease in there.

A very small amount goes a long way and keep things spinning freely.
    As a follow up to this. Brian subsequently lubed with NFS chainlube and it works great :) I DO recommend either NFS (perfect everytime regardless of how much you use) or Race Grease smeared on as a thin film (no visible globs). Both methods work, one requires a light touch.

Thank Brian, always good to hear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been really happy with NFS on my MTB. I moved last year and my previous method wasn't cutting it anymore in this new climate. I just got done cleaning my extremely dirty 29er but was impressed with the state of the drivetrain. Despite the rest of the bike being covered with dirt the cassette and chain were in very good condition.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I picked up a new set of wheels with 240 hubs last spring. My first experince with DT. Had to swap out the free hub for Campy. Didn't want to wait for the DT grease, so I installed the new freehub with a very light amount of NFS Race Grease. About 750 miles in, this is by far the quietest hub I've got, including Campy, Mavic, and Royce.

Like, stealthy quiet. Standard pawls.

Are all DT hubs like this?

I suspect that NFS has something to do with it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default i love me some NFS!

New bike. New build. Deserves the best.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: i love me some NFS!

Nice work Dave. You went wide with the wrap. That is how I like it. That gives me excellent contact with the bars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TTX1 View Post
    Like, stealthy quiet. Standard pawls.

Are all DT hubs like this?

I suspect that NFS has something to do with it...
    I'd venture to say it has everything to do with it. My 240s with 36t rings are noisy, those with 18t are less, and 18t with NFS is really nice. It's also nice to not have deep, echo-ey carbon rims that resonate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    I'd venture to say it has everything to do with it. My 240s with 36t rings are noisy, those with 18t are less, and 18t with NFS is really nice. It's also nice to not have deep, echo-ey carbon rims that resonate.
    If I could only convince White Industries of the same. I make a pitch every year. NFS + White Industries is a match made in heaven, they just don't know it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    My 240s with 36t rings are noisy
    Thread drift: That's odd, I have four sets of wheels with DT 240s hubs and they are all by far the quietest hubs in the house. (Compared to Cole, Mavic, or Shimano.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    Thread drift: That's odd, I have four sets of wheels with DT 240s hubs and they are all by far the quietest hubs in the house. (Compared to Cole, Mavic, or Shimano.)
    They are pretty quiet Bob.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I could only convince White Industries of the same. I make a pitch every year. NFS + White Industries is a match made in heaven, they just don't know it.
    Josh,

Ihave a new set of White T11 hubbed wheels awiating me at home when I get back from NY. I have another set of T11's that I stripped out the stock white grease from and re-lubed with NFS chain lube. On this new pair I am going to use the NFS grease and compare. I am anticipating the same great performance with a little less pawl noise. I will report my findings in due course.

Geoff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Josh,

Ihave a new set of White T11 hubbed wheels awiating me at home when I get back from NY. I have another set of T11's that I stripped out the stock white grease from and re-lubed with NFS chain lube. On this new pair I am going to use the NFS grease and compare. I am anticipating the same great performance with a little less pawl noise. I will report my findings in due course.

Geoff
    You are awesome and you know who to tell.

My intention is to improve their product and gain brand recognition.

Hey White Industries, happy birthday I'll GIVE you enough Race Grease to prove it is much better than what you are currently using.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tommy Barse @ Cutlass Velo is a Baltimore wheelbuilding maven AND his dad owns one of the best breweries on the planet win win right? I'm always impressed with Tommy's technical skills but it is his work ethic that really makes me sing his praises. Anywho, one of our tandem wheels split and Tommy is giving it the Midnight special. Clean and tune the AWESOME DT540 hub and rebuild with a Velocity Chukker and....Race Grease of course. Tommy removes factory grease from W.I. and DT hubs and replaces it with Race Grease when customers ask for the quietest possible setup. Putting a solid grease into spaces where pawls and ring drive must operate without sticking is no joke. Use the wrong stuff and you will have a bad day. Race Grease is going to give you alot of good days ;)

If you are local or just want to work with someone I like for building and wheel upgrades/conversions talk to Tommy:
    Cutlass Velo - Home | Facebook

PS - We have some insanely good wheelbuilders here on V and I'll will call you out by name. Go nuts, we are the lucky ones.

RG1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tommy Barse @ Cutlass Velo is a Baltimore wheelbuilding maven AND his dad owns one of the best breweries on the planet win win right? I'm always impressed with Tommy's technical skills but it is his work ethic that really makes me sing his praises. Anywho, one of our tandem wheels split and Tommy is giving it the Midnight special. Clean and tune the AWESOME DT540 hub and rebuild with a Velocity Chukker and....Race Grease of course. Tommy removes factory grease from W.I. and DT hubs and replaces it with Race Grease when customers ask for the quietest possible setup. Putting a solid grease into spaces where pawls and ring drive must operate without sticking is no joke. Use the wrong stuff and you will have a bad day. Race Grease is going to give you alot of good days ;)

If you are local or just want to work with someone I like for building and wheel upgrades/conversions talk to Tommy:
    Cutlass Velo - Home | Facebook

PS - We have some insanely good wheelbuilders here on V and I'll will call you out by name. Go nuts, we are the lucky ones.

RG1.jpg
    I am honored to be mentioned! Thanks, Josh! The experience I have with Race Grease is always good. I use it on loose ball set-ups as well. I overhauled a Record hub for a rebuild last week and it was butter. For the White Industries design I like to use a healthy drop where the pawl sits in the groove as well as where the leaf spring sits. Then I use my DualCo grease gun and put the Race Grease in all the right spots. Reduced drag never felt so good.