User Tag List

Page 41 of 68 FirstFirst ... 313233343536373839404142434445464748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: NFS Chainlube & Race Grease: The wait is over

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: NFS Chainlube & Race Grease: The wait is over

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    Olive oil?
    I tried this ONCE. I wasn't impressed.

In regards to biodegradable......I'm curious and hesitant. My experience with a previous bio-degradable product was bad (I still have the bottle and relegated it to cutting fluid). How would this potential new bio-degradable product separate itself?
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How would it separate itself? Good question. In field testing using 10 of my most reliable people who were used for the orig. testing of NFS everyone reported back same or similar findings. The Bio "stuff" worked about 90% as well as NFS which is way way better than I expected. The other aspect is that it is eco-friendly, it breaks down safely in water or soil. ALSO it is colorless and nearly odorless satisfying yet another niche' requirement for some folks.

At some point in the future I'll make a limited run of this and test market. Likely scenario is that this happens after I come out with the new product I'm working on...no timeline for that....it is a complicated product and is going to take me at least another year.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Neide View Post
    I tried this ONCE. I wasn't impressed.

In regards to biodegradable......I'm curious and hesitant. My experience with a previous bio-degradable product was bad (I still have the bottle and relegated it to cutting fluid). How would this potential new bio-degradable product separate itself?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are such a tease Josh.

"Even my farts smell like steel!" - Diel

"Make something with your hands. Not with your money." - Dario

Sean Doyle

www.devlincc.com

https://www.instagram.com/devlincustomcycles/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139142779@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    How would it separate itself? Good question. In field testing using 10 of my most reliable people who were used for the orig. testing of NFS everyone reported back same or similar findings. The Bio "stuff" worked about 90% as well as NFS which is way way better than I expected. The other aspect is that it is eco-friendly, it breaks down safely in water or soil. ALSO it is colorless and nearly odorless satisfying yet another niche' requirement for some folks.

At some point in the future I'll make a limited run of this and test market. Likely scenario is that this happens after I come out with the new product I'm working on...no timeline for that....it is a complicated product and is going to take me at least another year.
    Sounds good. Can't wait to try both products. 90% performance of NFS without the smell might be appealing. I don't think NFS has a strong odor, but I used it on my kids bikes which I usually travel with the kids bikes in the van. On vacation last week, my wife hops in the van and is like "What's that smell?" (it wasn't me) and there was a hint of chain lube odor. Her senses are a bit sensitive since she's pregnant. Didn't bother me or my kids.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@NixFrixShun we do special things for the good ones. I'll make up a bottle just for you. LMK if the wife approves. Do a good pre-clean of the kiddo's bike chain with WD-40 first.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Neide View Post
    Sounds good. Can't wait to try both products. 90% performance of NFS without the smell might be appealing. I don't think NFS has a strong odor, but I used it on my kids bikes which I usually travel with the kids bikes in the van. On vacation last week, my wife hops in the van and is like "What's that smell?" (it wasn't me) and there was a hint of chain lube odor. Her senses are a bit sensitive since she's pregnant. Didn't bother me or my kids.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@NixFrixShun we do special things for the good ones. I'll make up a bottle just for you. LMK if the wife approves. Do a good pre-clean of the kiddo's bike chain with WD-40 first.
    You're awesome! Will keep you updated on wife approval.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bewheels View Post
    TT - sounds like you need to have a line of different aromas.

This should help you get started...
    Attachment 83228
    If Patchouli NFS makes it to market I'm quitting bikes. I'm helping others do the same if it is biodegradable and vegan friendly.

A boutique seasonal variety could be interesting though. Early Spring rides with a light nose of lavender or maybe the pleasantly near visceral taste of scorched wood from fruit bearing trees for the Fall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heh, that's pretty funny. Yup, scented petroleum products smell pretty strange. Don't wait by the phone for Hippy NFS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heh, that's pretty funny. Yup, scented petroleum products smell pretty strange. Don't wait by the phone for Hippy NFS.
    I love the smell. For me it reminds me of working on farm equipment in West Texas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(Whistling)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Say what? If that has no adhesive backing, I might be persuaded to defect from my one-and-only love of Benotto bike ribbon. Too cool.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(Aheem) THE bartape is going up for sale this week @ NixFrixShun Bicycle Speed Shop Watch my facebook page for a discount code for early adopters.

I've been piling on the miles to give my best take on this stuff. Installation is hands down the best of anything I've ever used. It is extra wide, strong as @ so you can stretch it or lay it down with narrow wraps for a forgiving cushion. The amt. of tape per/roll is ridiculous. I suspect you could wrap two small bars with it. Comes with endplugs and the only finishing tape I have ever NOT thrown in the garbage.

The feel is lovely, nice and grippy on sweaty hands and never clammy. We went with a black / white theme to satisfy the most people 'cause all bartape should be black or white yeah? wink wink.

Don't wait, it's going to sell FAST. Priced to beat the socks off other premium bartape.

Get sum @ NixFrixShun Bicycle Speed Shop (beginning this week).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Count me in. I've never tried extra wide tape, but it seems like it would give a nice ability to dial in the thickness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Count me in. I've never tried extra wide tape, but it seems like it would give a nice ability to dial in the thickness.
    Ding ding ding. In the picture I've got it wrapped tight and wide to get as connected as possible to the bars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps it's been said already somewhere in this thread, but what's so special about the Race Grease? What sort of soap is it in?

I tend to ask questions BEFORE buying the stuff, but whatevs...
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good questions Chik. Race Grease is designed to be freehub / pawl safe. It is a lithium and synthetic blend using very high quality components. traditionally there have only been a few greases that bicycle mechanics trusted for this use. Those greases all are good stuff however they are also old formulas that could stand an update...we did that in spades. Race Grease was specifically designed for use in a soon to be released high tech hum that claims very low friction....read between the lines ;).

Race grease is very useful for general purpose and has very low runout properties (stays where you put it) and survives moisture extrememly well.

We did not have to make it, so we made it too good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    Perhaps it's been said already somewhere in this thread, but what's so special about the Race Grease? What sort of soap is it in?

I tend to ask questions BEFORE buying the stuff, but whatevs...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, TT.

On the bit about staying put and being resistant to moisture, how does it compare / contrast with a typical marine grease? (I realise that there are many different formulations for marine grease, but hey, let me generalise here...)

The answer probably relates to the bit about being safe for pawls / freehubs?

Which leads me to... Some manufacturers, like Chris King, want you to use a lubricant that is more like motor oil rather than grease for the free hub / pawls, which I think is related to what you're saying in the first part. I assume that it has something to do with soap residues getting clogged over time. If that is correct, then am I correct in saying that the Race Grease ends up with minimal to no residue build-up?
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welllll Chik you have two great questions. First, it it not a marine grease however Race Grease did pass an international standard which would make it very acceptable in wet environments...I'm generalizing too ;) Second, lubrication of pawls and ring drives requires hands on experience eg. we know what works and that is what the mfg. recommends. If you decide to use something else you are well advised to follow the lead of pro mechanics who are up to their elbows every day. My personal experience and is that of others for C.K. is that NFS chainlube is working really nicely and I would not recommend Race Grease for C.K. ringdrives.

Helps?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, TT.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I have found over the years is finer machinations and closer tolerances need a lube that can move around a little. Like an oil. Once grease is pushed out of the way by pressure it stays out of the way where as the oil can move back to where it's needed. YMMV.

"Even my farts smell like steel!" - Diel

"Make something with your hands. Not with your money." - Dario

Sean Doyle

www.devlincc.com

https://www.instagram.com/devlincustomcycles/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139142779@N05/