User Tag List

Page 34 of 68 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: NFS Chainlube & Race Grease: The wait is over

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default re: NFS Chainlube & Race Grease: The wait is over

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kellogg View Post
    I've shared a bit as well. I suspect that even though in the real world NFS outperforms all other lubes except in those somewhat rare velodrome or clear blue sky TT situations, PTFE based lubes will still get a lot of business. Granted, none of them hold up for beans, but they "test" well in the lab. Not much we can do in trying to convince folks who spend much of their day counting angels on the heads of pins.
    My bro used nfs in the cross fl mtb itt last weekend. 254 miles of water and dirt. It's the stuff for endurance mtb racing. Does that count as a lab?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Tollefson View Post
    But for people who spend their entire riding lives staring at a power meter, it ain't data... I suspect they'll remain unconvinced.
    Indeed it's by far the best wet lube I've ever used, but the explanation sounds like a scam

this thread is the only real product documentation, and it reads like a massive circlejerk

people bullshitting here about using it in dry dusty conditions, there's places for other lubes!

I've been unable to wipe NFS off a chain thoroughly enough to keep fine pumice from accumulating, which turns it into friction paste
    Fred Blasdel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It doesn't help that it looks and smells exactly like motor oil, with no explanation of what magic is making it penetrate better / last longer / run cleaner

NFS does actually do all those things, but your average weight loss infomercial does a better job of showing how the product works!

The only conversions I've made have been forcible ones:

It would help a lot if you could pull back the curtain on why it works better and/or get permission to republish an independent test
    Fred Blasdel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*** ALL CYBER Monday sales go to 2015 BallersRide and all shipping is $5 off use code: ballernfs ***
    WHAT IS BALLERSRIDE?:

Once a year we gather custom bicycle frame builders from around the universe. They converge to be with their own, ride bikes, drink a little moonshine and trade stories.

Each year NixFrixShun donates a portion of our profit so that invited custom bicycle frame builders do not have to pay for food and board. Thank you for your purchase. All proceeds from Cyber Monday as in 100% will go to pay for 2015 BallersRide.

Ballers Weekend is equal parts Navy Seals training, Outward Bound, and a Mensa meeting for the most vain of the vain, all coupled with some brutally hard riding and dining. At the very core of Ballers Weekend is the certainty that memories will be made – memories that will never be erased.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey all!

First post here on Velo Salon and let me tell you, it takes a while to read through the 664 posts before me. Let me say TooTall, your efforts (and success) at manufacturing a superior chain lube [we all know you just milk unicorns' tears for this stuff] are admirable! After going through far too much Chain-L and Boeshield on my rando and cross bikes, I'm ready to buy into this under-publicized miracle juice.

That being said, do you have any dealers in Seattle? I can think of a couple shops, including my team's sponsor shop, that could be persuaded to carry your fine lube. Samples a possibility? ;)

Regardless, thank you for all your hard work, I look forward to testing this out through the training winter and randonneuring spring.

Cheers,
    Wade

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Wade,
    No stockists in Seattle which is a shame since the stuff goes so well in rain.
    If you want to put any shops directly in touch with me just shoot me a PM with contact intel and I'll get it done.
    Order from here: NixFrixShun Ultimate Bicycle Chainlube
    Stockists: NixFrixShun Retail Stores
    *Visit my Facebook page and [x] like it. There is a shipping discount code still in play. >>> https://www.facebook.com/NixFrixShun

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, I've tried to get my old shop to stock this stuff. I even left a sample there, and routinely clean and lube chains at the group rides. But they so far don't seem interested. Pity for them.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've experienced the same apathy over lube in all the shops I've dropped samples off to here in Australia. A few mechanics have contacted me to get some lube for themselves but on the whole the shops seem reluctant. As you said, their loss.

"Even my farts smell like steel!" - Diel

"Make something with your hands. Not with your money." - Dario

Sean Doyle

www.devlincc.com

https://www.instagram.com/devlincustomcycles/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139142779@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No worries gents. Word spreads slowly. It's not like there is a shortage of chainlubes "out there". If you look at the VeloNews chainlube test the most popular chainlube on the market was dead last.

My next couple products will be just as hard to market and just as good. HAHA I've got a loooong road ahead of me ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Mexico...we brought a couple of MTBs down with us 3 months ago, not much road riding in our village but many kilometers of dirt roads, hardpack sandstone/sandy/dusty roads and trails. A bottle of NFS is in my toolbox which I use regularly, wiping the chains down after each ride, sparingly reapplying NFS and letting it dry over night. So far no issues and everything is running properly.

I recently bought a Polaris 500HO quad (quads are Mexican Cadillacs here) so I don't have to brutalize my car on those roads and on the beach. The Polaris was used and coupled with the humidity, salt air and beach sand, nuts and bolts corrode easily. I've removed all threaded fittings and applied NFS to them so none of them become permanently attached to each other, even the high-temp bolts on the exhaust and surrounding areas. NFS seems to be perfect for this application.

When I come back to the States in 3 months, I'll pack some more bottles of NFS to bring back down here. I seem to be acquiring the role of the LBM (local bike mechanic) and taking care of some of the resident beater bikes that live here.

I love NFS!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry Dave...I can't help but think of you as the Bicycle Repairman of Cabos...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Picked up a bottle of NFS from Maglia Rosa at the opening night, only just got around to using it (initially to re-lube my Mavic Ksyrium f/hub body).
    The smell reminds me of topping off the manual transmission on my old Subaru

I've given my chain a thorough degreasing (ie soaked in Park degreaser for a few hours then scrubbed) - should I do 1 drop per link with NFS or is that total overkill?
    Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Major overkill. If you completely degreased the chain as in squeaky clean it's going to take about 12 drops. If after running it in very well you think it needs a touch more add a few more drops. Buff your sideplates and you are good to go.

FWIIW I've changed the mix a weee bit and the smell is greatly reduced and it is still the same aweseome-sauce ;)

Check out the latest VeloNews Buyers guide. Hint, look for the new Silca 1/2 page advertisement with NixFrixShun. STOKED to be in such good company.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
    Picked up a bottle of NFS from Maglia Rosa at the opening night, only just got around to using it (initially to re-lube my Mavic Ksyrium f/hub body).
    The smell reminds me of topping off the manual transmission on my old Subaru

I've given my chain a thorough degreasing (ie soaked in Park degreaser for a few hours then scrubbed) - should I do 1 drop per link with NFS or is that total overkill?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    FWIIW I've changed the mix a weee bit and the smell is greatly reduced and it is still the same aweseome-sauce ;)
    But the smell is/was my favourite part...
    My name is Hung | Instagram | Website/portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NixFrixShun has been out'd by The Washing Machine Post : thewashingmachinepost :: velo club d'ardbeg :: robert millar :: societa colnago

WMP is a great read. They rarely give a what fashion or trend dictates. Claiming that NixFrixShun was born from necessity and use is the low down dirty truth. Thanks for the attention WMP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like you and The Queen are going to be working late nights. Get to it.
    Tom Kellogg
    Rides bikes, used to make 'em too.
    Spectrum-Cycles.com
    Butted Ti Road, Reynolds UL, Di2, QuarQ, Conour lite, SP Zero
    Steel Cross, X-7, Crank Bros, Concour Lite, Nemesis, Grifo
    Steel Piste, D-A Piste, PD-7400, Concour lite, Zipp 404
    http://kapelmuurindependent.be

Shortest TFC Member (5'6 3/4") & shrinking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep Tom we are up for it. Never turned away from hard work, hardly working just ain't me ;)

NixFrixShun SpeedGrease will get a new thread soon and after sales are rollingI am going full Walter White to begin work on a BA Embro. Using a formulation I created 15 years ago. TMI?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Yep Tom we are up for it. Never turned away from hard work, hardly working just ain't me ;)

NixFrixShun SpeedGrease will get a new thread soon and after sales are rollingI am going full Walter White to begin work on a BA Embro. Using a formulation I created 15 years ago. TMI?
    There's gotta be a chamois cream on the horizon. The branding is just too damn easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    There's gotta be a chamois cream on the horizon. The branding is just too damn easy.
    Now let me think on this one ... Chamois Cream ... let's see ... the point of the stuff is to help keep excess moisture out of the pores and to lubricate the bottom side. Hey, how about "Nix Frix Shun?" Do I win?
    Tom Kellogg
    Rides bikes, used to make 'em too.
    Spectrum-Cycles.com
    Butted Ti Road, Reynolds UL, Di2, QuarQ, Conour lite, SP Zero
    Steel Cross, X-7, Crank Bros, Concour Lite, Nemesis, Grifo
    Steel Piste, D-A Piste, PD-7400, Concour lite, Zipp 404
    http://kapelmuurindependent.be

Shortest TFC Member (5'6 3/4") & shrinking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ouch. Honestly, I don't get chamois creme butt I'll add that to the list. I'm 100% sure how I'd make it and it's 100% different route than what everyone else does.