User Tag List

Page 26 of 68 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: NFS Chainlube & Race Grease: The wait is over

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default re: NFS Chainlube & Race Grease: The wait is over

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    It seems to be working well for C.K. and DT-Swiss I can't speak for traditional pawl-type hubs where I've always used a light coating of Phil Wood solid grease or Outer Space Green Shimano Grease.
    Hmm... so you're using NFS instead of grease on the DT swiss hubs? Is there anything on the bike that you're not using NFS for these days? Seriously.

I'm sure that I'm overdue with servicing a 240 or two so I'll give it a go. I guess my only question would be the staying power of NFS compared to a tackier grease. The DT red stuff that I'm using now is pretty sticky.

I definitely need to service a mavic wheel, so I'll test it out and report back. It can't hurt, right?

I'm also waiting for an ordered part to come in at Shirk's before I drop off the sample you sent - in case you plan to follow up with them.
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer oil in the pawls as it keeps flowing around where as grease in my experience just ends up getting pushed out of the contact areas. I'm not putting heaps in there. Maybe 10 drops.

"Even my farts smell like steel!" - Diel

"Make something with your hands. Not with your money." - Dario

Sean Doyle

www.devlincc.com

https://www.instagram.com/devlincustomcycles/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139142779@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shimano hubs like your method, I think it is because they are so wickedly well sealed...but yeah bottom-line I'm using NFS for a lot of stuff on the bike. Assembly grease has no replacement of course.
    Hey, let's chat about this in the Tech forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by devlin View Post
    I prefer oil in the pawls as it keeps flowing around where as grease in my experience just ends up getting pushed out of the contact areas. I'm not putting heaps in there. Maybe 10 drops.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
    I'm obviously a huge NFS fan, but I would recommend trying DuMonde Tech's Freehub Oil (not their grease) in your Mavic freehub. It works really well, IME-slash-ATMO.
    nm - will discuss in Tech Forum as TT has asked....
    Last edited by Brandon White; 04-16-2014 at 01:28 PM. Reason: not relevant really.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    No sir not in Boston...yet. Are you anywhere near the IF factory? They have a huge box of NFS.
    I was going to head over to the IF store tomorrow...I live pretty close and have not been yet...do you know if they have the NFS there, or is it tucked away in the factory somewhere?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Call ahead. They tend to hoard the good stuff ;) KIdding. Do call ahead. If their supply is gone shoot me a note and I'll hook you up. Thanks for your persistence, someday NFS will be more available...someday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewheels View Post
    I was going to head over to the IF store tomorrow...I live pretty close and have not been yet...do you know if they have the NFS there, or is it tucked away in the factory somewhere?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Called ahead to the IF factory yesterday and spoke to a very nice guy - Ryan - who went and found the box and set a bottle aside for me. He said it "was on his boss's desk" so there was a perhaps a hoard attempt averted.

Stopped by the factory today to pick my very own bottle of NFS!!

Being a recent transplant to New Hampshire, it was the first time I have been in the IF store/factory. They have a great set up. Ryan was kind enough to give me the full tour, got to check out the IF show bikes in person, see the products they carry in the store...all in all a great way to spend part of my day off.

Now on to cleaning up the drive chain and lightly applying the NFS as per directed on the other pages.

Too Tall - thanks for letting on that IF had some.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for going the extra mile. The IF factory is pretty spectacular isn't it? Hope you had time to notice BaileyWorks too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewheels View Post
    Called ahead to the IF factory yesterday and spoke to a very nice guy - Ryan - who went and found the box and set a bottle aside for me. He said it "was on his boss's desk" so there was a perhaps a hoard attempt averted.

Stopped by the factory today to pick my very own bottle of NFS!!

Being a recent transplant to New Hampshire, it was the first time I have been in the IF store/factory. They have a great set up. Ryan was kind enough to give me the full tour, got to check out the IF show bikes in person, see the products they carry in the store...all in all a great way to spend part of my day off.

Now on to cleaning up the drive chain and lightly applying the NFS as per directed on the other pages.

Too Tall - thanks for letting on that IF had some.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

POEM FOR A LUBE

After today's little spin my ears hurt. Lo, I'll setup an N.F.S. lube stand by the MUP.

If dudes can stop racefacing each other for a sec, they can get some help.

With their drivetrains what sound like a draw fulla forks and spoons.
    Zuzu’s pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been using NFS for a month... truly amazing chain lube.
    On the very first ride the absence of any sound from drive train made me grin like a little kid.
    The next thing I've noticed is that drive trains of everyone around me are so super loud. Not only quiet but NFS lube is also very clean. I've been using Boeshild T-9 for years before because it was the cleanest lube I could find, surprisingly NFS lube is even cleaner and it lasts far longer.

Instructions about applying are spot on, very few drops are all you need. I started with 6 drops and I use rug to clean it after each ride. I ride for a few hundreds of km before applying additional 4 drops... not because it needs it, but it's just me having hard time accepting a fact that I haven't applied any lube for a long time. I am extending the time before re-applying and I am yet to find out how long will it go before I could hear any signs of chain being under-lubed.

Clean, quiet and lasts forever... I think you have an amazing product here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good report thank you sir. As you say proper application results in very good and consistent results. I spent many months measuring my own chains to find some evidence that the stuff was lacking.

Well, I'm off for a long ride. Hoping for 120 miles today. It's truly spring, at last.

Quote Originally Posted by kaaos View Post
    I've been using NFS for a month... truly amazing chain lube.
    On the very first ride the absence of any sound from drive train made me grin like a little kid.
    The next thing I've noticed is that drive trains of everyone around me are so super loud. Not only quiet but NFS lube is also very clean. I've been using Boeshild T-9 for years before because it was the cleanest lube I could find, surprisingly NFS lube is even cleaner and it lasts far longer.

Instructions about applying are spot on, very few drops are all you need. I started with 6 drops and I use rug to clean it after each ride. I ride for a few hundreds of km before applying additional 4 drops... not because it needs it, but it's just me having hard time accepting a fact that I haven't applied any lube for a long time. I am extending the time before re-applying and I am yet to find out how long will it go before I could hear any signs of chain being under-lubed.

Clean, quiet and lasts forever... I think you have an amazing product here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Tollefson View Post
    Nice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Start the bottling machinery!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Start the bottling machinery!
    We are slammed. BR is amazing. Found: Nix Frix Shun Bicycle Chain Lube, Made for Real Ballers
    Wish the new graphics were in place. Matt did such a wonderful job on both the orig. stickers and the new ones...compare :
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matt Moore "District Cycle Works" in Georgetown, DC is doing great things. Beautiful location, crack mechanic and he loves NFS :) We love this guy, he rides his bike, ferrets out great food trucks and swerve baaaby. Go visit his facebook page or the shop located on P street. DCW stocks NFS. https://www.facebook.com/districtcycleworks/page_map image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need the updated 'FRANKIE SAY RELAX' ad artwork...
    4d 61 72 6b 20 43 68 61 6e 64 6c 65 72

GRAVELBIKE.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comparing NFS to ProLink/ProGold is absurd. I can't get through a 15-mile dirt ride on a PL/PG-lubed chain. NFS, on the other hand, just keeps working.

GRAVELBIKE.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe on MTB. On the road I find NFS quieter than Prolink but in my case it is not really lasting longer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Maybe on MTB. On the road I find NFS quieter than Prolink but in my case it is not really lasting longer.
    That's interesting. I can't get through a week of paved-road riding with ProLink here in Colorado.

GRAVELBIKE.com