Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where do you compromise?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default where do you compromise?

I am wondering. This subforum is filled with literally the best of the best.

the finest crafted shoes, suits, boots, belts, jeans, underwear etc. Each thread is filled with beautifully crafted pieces, each lustworthy in their own regard. whenever an opinion is sought, world class items are recommended.

the question is: for those of you with limited discretionary funds available - what are the items you use and wear that are "good enough".

the recent thread on belts strikes a chord for me. i dont think i've ever spent more than 30-40 bucks on a belt, and never thought much about them, other than the fact that they hold my pants up.

so - for those of you who cant afford to have the best of the best of every item you use, what do you compromise on, you know there is something better out there, but you just dont care??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: where do you compromise?

I'm not someone of much money, I work in the bike industry, am married with two children and my wife is a stay at home mom and I live in the one of the most expensive zip codes in the country.

I just buy good items, less of them and plan my purchases. Usually I buy a pair of pants in the fall, shorts in the spring. The jackets and big stuff lasts for so long when taken care of. I usually need to buy a few things a year. About every other month I end up getting something, a belt, some socks, some tees, etc. I just research and plan each purchase to make sure I spend my (limited) money correctly. As for buying some of the more expensive items, jacket, boots I end up saving planning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've made my opinions known, and managed to embarrass myself
    here:
    http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum...cks-20214.html
    and here:
    http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum...ity-22163.html
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ride clinchers, and (rarely) drive a car from 1995.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    I am wondering. This subforum is filled with literally the best of the best.

the finest crafted shoes, suits, boots, belts, jeans, underwear etc. Each thread is filled with beautifully crafted pieces, each lustworthy in their own regard. whenever an opinion is sought, world class items are recommended.

the question is: for those of you with limited discretionary funds available - what are the items you use and wear that are "good enough".

the recent thread on belts strikes a chord for me. i dont think i've ever spent more than 30-40 bucks on a belt, and never thought much about them, other than the fact that they hold my pants up.

so - for those of you who cant afford to have the best of the best of every item you use, what do you compromise on, you know there is something better out there, but you just dont care??
    There is no "line" to cross or quality level to achieve.
    You ride clinchers right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    You ride clinchers right?
    guilty as charged.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it says Made in China, I know I'm paying too much. Now I have to search for Made in Vietnam, Philippines and Sri Lanka. I hope Rapha makes the switch soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When it comes to spending money I compromise just about everywhere, always making calculations about what I can afford and what is good value.

The only exceptions have been two bike frames - from Zank and from Pegoretti - and my daughter's education.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think everyone here is a bit more particular and idiosyncratic than the average joe.

I spend more on things that I know are going to last a long time - shoes, suits, jackets, etc.

The other stuff just has to fit. $25 Wranglers are the only thing that fit over my ass and quads, so thats what I buy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like SignatureJustin, I'm a man of modest means. I buy quality, infrequently. In an interview I happened to catch last spring, Yvon Chouinard, founder of Patagonia, responded to a question about the value proposition of Patagonia clothing this way:

Picture4.png

I drive a car from 1997 with 323,000 miles on it. When it's no longer worth fixing I'll probably buy another car coming off of lease and drive that for ten or fifteen years.

I haven't bought a bike in a couple years, and there isn't another one on the horizon.

Some recreational equipment at least partially pays for itself. Bikes and running shoes keep me healthier and make me more productive.

In general though I think lots of the people here who like nice stuff aren't buying something new every day, or week, or even every month. I think that's a reality that can be obscured by the quantity of interactions we now have every day - it seems like everyone is always doing extraordinary activities, going on awesome vacations, or buying shiny objects we'd like to own, too. Of the thousands of people on VSalon, someone always has a cool new object to show off. But one of us buying something new every day is very different than everyone buying something new each day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also buy quality for the long haul, keeping in mind that we will likely see significant inflation in the near future. Right now, I'm wearing a 22-year old shell cordovan belt. That averages out to less than $10 a year, without considering the current (inflated) replacement cost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Great question! I would fit in the limited means category but I appreciate quality, so I often buy used, gently worn, previously owned products. If talking about items I buy new, I buy the best I can afford and refuse to pay retail most of the time. For custom bike frames, I save for long periods then bite the bullet and lay out the cash. Parts are a mix of used and new, generally of Ultegra-level quality and up. I also keep stuff for a long time. While it may not look up-to-date (or nice, even), it is still of good quality and a pleasure to use. For clothes, ebay is great if you know what you want.

None of this applies to food and drink. I don't scrimp there (except on Scotch, where I have to have limits) and I don't buy used, either.
    Harth Huffman
    www.wabiwoolens.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I buy secondhand quite a bit, and don't really feel the need to spend a ton of cash on chinos/denim. Uniqlo works for me for the time being.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My spouse is the CFO of a local small clothing chain. I win.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soupless View Post
    I buy secondhand quite a bit, and don't really feel the need to spend a ton of cash on chinos/denim. Uniqlo works for me for the time being.
    Ditto hear, the hunt is half the fun. One of my current favorite searches is Alden on ebay. Figure out how your foot fits in the different Alden lasts, and then watch for the poor soul who mail ordered a size 9.5B LHS thinking that it will fit like a 9.5B rather than 10D. One day of wear and knock 50% off retail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dorman View Post
    My spouse is the CFO of a local small clothing chain. I win.
    I'm interested. Do tell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I'm interested. Do tell.
    Heartbreaker. Mostly female stuff, but carry men's in the Uptown store (lake and hennepin) as well as the Shorewood store. Not getting cool custom stuff on the cheap, but I live in Levi's and t-shirts for the most part anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MPLS, ehhh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been thinking about this for a few days. I have gone the path of buy nice, buy seldom over the last 5 years. I don't have to buy work clothes or commute and waste money on gas - so I guess that gives me some benefit. But we have two nice safe cars, our son goes to a nice school (be it pre-k, he'll continue there probably through 8th grade unless we move), and I only have one nice bike (ducking). I spend where I think it's appropriate to splurge and spend reasonably for other things (that must be the compromises).
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    and I only have one nice bike (ducking).
    We'll have to work on that.

For me, I'd say it comes down to spending in the areas that I really care about, and saving where I don't. I'm not that into cars, and though I drive a nice car, it's a long term investment and I'll get many years out of it. I spend on bikes because I love it and I don't want to compromise. Clothes, gadgets, etc. don't mean that much to me, so I save as much as I can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast