Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Vests....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Vests....

I live in Nor. Calif. and in the winter a vest is often comfortable as a primary outer layer. I have an assortment of older fleece vests that are looking tired. I would like a stylish merino or soft wool vest that does not look like I am going fishing or hunting. My default at this point is the Ibex Scout

0420_8125.jpg

Any other suggestions?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Vests....

Skip the fleece and go for a thin, solid-color down vest. You can wear it by itself, or you can wear it over or under a sport coat. You can even wear it over a suit.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the look and feel of a Merino vest ... the down is just to fluffy looking for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anything new in the land of vests? I'm tired of not having one. i wear one on the bike almost half of the year. i like stuff made with PrimaLoft. i don't like fleece, nor NorthFace. that Outlier is badass, but long gone.

leaning towards the standard Patagonia job.

anything else to check into? 3-season type of deal.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forget the Patagucci unless you mean one of the down vests. Look at the Rapha Transfer vest (in store or in season) or the Arcteryx Atom LT vest. You can always size up if your upper body is muscular or you're generously proportioned. Those two are the best active vests unless you have specific unmentioned needs that are more specialized.

Nods go to the Arcteryx for general outdoors use and the Rapha for more urbane pursuits. Both work very well outdoors in all weather but one is better company in tough conditions. I appreciate you likely understand this based on your assessment of The North Farce.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a big vest guy- they are good for layering, and keep the clutter away from my wrists.

I find vests fall into a couple of catagories for my general wear:
    - light sweater vest: good for layering over a shirt and adding just a touch of warmth to my core. Fall/ spring
    - wool waist coat: heavier fabric, warmer. I use these to both gather mid layers and to keep me warm when I want my sleeves free. This is generally a substitute for the sweater vest.
    - outerwear vest: I've been sporting a Mountain Khaki duck vest lately. This is essentially a sleeveless jacket, and can be worn under a coat if needed. It's an outerwear piece. Climate depending, one could sub a down vest here. If I'm cold enough for down, I'm usually cold enough for sleeves unless it's being worn as a mid layer.

Stuff like that Ibex are a sporty variant that can float all three categories.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that was quick.

Went to REI. They had a surprisingly large assortment. Patagonia Better Sweater vest to the Arcteryx. Tried them all on, different sizes, and walked out with an REI-branded Primaloft vest (forget the model). Fit good, light, tall collar, and the zipper didn't screw with me. I hate when I have to think about making sure the male end of the zipper is fully seated. Seems like a minuscule problem, but dang does that get annoying.

REI branded stuff has never let me down. I expect the same out of this. ($50 less than the Patagonia version)
    -Dustin