Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guitar Amp?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Guitar Amp?

So I have this mid-70s 135 watt Twin Reverb and I never use it cuz its a lil too loud. Dunno whose idea it was to boost the wattage for a few years but it doesn't make my neighbors happy.

I'm lookin for something more apartment friendly.

I'm interested in the Tech21 Trademark 30 anyone have any experience with it or suggestions?

Playing style has me stuck somewhere between Tom Morello, Billy Corgan, Blake Schwartzenbach and the band Hum (gotta love being a teenager in the mid-90s.) Previous amps were Marshall VS102R, late-70s 65watt MusicMan head and a 50watt Marshall JMD (i think). Plugging in a Fernandez Monterey.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Guitar Amp?

Quote Originally Posted by false_aesthetic View Post
    So I have this mid-70s 135 watt Twin Reverb and I never use it cuz its a lil too loud. Dunno whose idea it was to boost the wattage for a few years but it doesn't make my neighbors happy.

I'm interested in the Tech21 Trademark 30 anyone have any experience with it or suggestions?

Playing style has me stuck somewhere between Tom Morello, Billy Corgan, Blake Schwartzenbach and the band Hum (gotta love being a teenager in the mid-90s.) Previous amps were Marshall VS102R, late-70s 65watt MusicMan head and a 50watt Marshall JMD (i think). Plugging in a Fernandez Monterey.
    Ask 100 guitar players about amps, and you'll get 100 different answers. LOL

I have an old Fender Showman 200 w still in the basement. Heavy and loud...but mostly just heavy. LOL
    I've had several Marshalls over the years...from JCM 50's to the 30th anniv. full stack...louder and heavier.

Check out the Vox stuff or the Line 6 stuff...never owned either,but heard mixed feelings.
    You could always find a small old Mesaboogie. ;)
    That would be my choice if I was in the market.
    Small and warm...great for on stage if mic'd properly.

Good Luck,
    Luke
    “So this is how the world works, all energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet." - HST

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Ask 100 guitar players about amps, and you'll get 100 different answers.
    that's fo sho. There's just a lot of stuff that wasn't around last time I looked at buying an amp (circa 2000) and when I was buying I never wanted "less."

Funny how things change . . . the ringing in my ears is almost gone.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Tech21 isn't a bad choice...it'll never quite achieve that voluptuous rounded three-dimensional clean sound that your old, tube Twin does in spades, but I'm guessing that a Tom Morello/Billy Corgan fan isn't using his amp for clean sounds much. :)

I will opine that the Tech21 behaves more like a traditional guitar amp than the other modelling amps from Line6 or Johnson, which I consider an asset...but I'd still rather have a traditional all-tube amp. If I were buying a new one these days I'd look at the Fender Deluxe reissue first.

Yeah, ask 100 guitarists, get 300 opinions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new amp?

fender deluxe reissue (you will hate that master volume twin. twins over 85w don't have it)

vox ac-15

the new vox amps have cheesy cabinets, but the speakers kick ass so it all works. you can get a really nice tube amp these days for 600-800 bucks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by false_aesthetic View Post

I have no feedback on that amp, as my only rig is a 5150 combo, and that's definitely too much for a little apartment. I did, however, want to say that I'm listening to HUM in my office right now and that growing up in IL and going to school in Champaign in the 90s made me a pretty huge fan. On topic, I have heard great things about the little VOX but never played one. My local music store has some of the little Orange combos, and they're really sweet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kurto View Post
    I have no feedback on that amp, as my only rig is a 5150 combo, and that's definitely too much for a little apartment. I did, however, want to say that I'm listening to HUM in my office right now and that growing up in IL and going to school in Champaign in the 90s made me a pretty huge fan. On topic, I have heard great things about the little VOX but never played one. My local music store has some of the little Orange combos, and they're really sweet.
    I've played through a Tiny Terror, a Marshall Class 5, and I own a Vox AC4TV

They all do the same thing, and they all do it really well: terrific at getting dynamic, musical tube overdrive, and with the right guitar you can ride the volume control to go from clean to moderate overdrive (if you're looking for huge gain, look elsewhere). The Vox is a little boxy, but for $250, how are you going to complain? If I played more, I get the Marshall to go with it.

I run a '52 Vintage Series Tele and an Epiphone Dot through the Vox, and they both give some kick ass results. Fun amp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kurto View Post
    For a long long time the 5150 was my dream amp -- I wanted to be the dude playing indie jingles with a metal set-up (oh, I was so close to buying a warbird or a Jackson Roswell Rhoads alloy...)
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tech 21 stuff is good. I have used it for recording and it/they sounds good.

I prefer tubes. My favorite is my Fender Pro Junior. I also like the Vox ac 15. They are simple so if you want to distort them you have to crank them...neighbors won't like it. I run a variety of stomp boxes depending on what kind of mayhem, I am looking for.

A really cool not loud but fun and good sounding device are the smokey amps. Products | Smokey Amps

i have even run it through a cabinet.

Then there is the iPad.... I like the Amplitube app.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mumbleypeg View Post
    A really cool not loud but fun and good sounding device are the smokey amps. Products | Smokey Amps
    What the hell?!?! I am so buying one of those!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you live in an apt might as well just get a 15 watt tube amp
    nice clean tone and can get dirty and overdriven
    blues jr or a champ or ????? should be plenty of options
    used to have a blues jr but sold coz need a loud amp...the reverb tank broke on it so that was a bummer but i think they are only 35 bucks or so
    had a sovtek mig 50 had to sell coz not nearly loud enough
    now got an old acoustic head and 4x12 plenty loud

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never met a guitarist who thinks he's too loud.

My roommate Hasan plays at a reasonable volume through an old Vox. He gets a decent sound.

Everyone else I know uses old Fenders. They're pretty loud on 1-3. 4-10, there's no discernable difference.

Alicja plays through a vintage Earth amp. Don't get that unless your plan is to force the neighbors out.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Emery Sound Microbaby though a 10" cab. Bedroom delight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
    Emery Sound Microbaby though a 10" cab. Bedroom delight.
    Great googley moogley their amps look good!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a guitar player so I really don't know didley about these but have always thought they were a cool design.

Z.Vex Nano Head
    Front.jpg

"1/2 watt of raging tube power!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just bought a hand wired amp called Texotica, 15 watts with tremelo, sounds and looks great, check them out on the web. really nice work.
    amp.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are on a budget, some of the peavey stuff from around the year 2000 sound respectable. I stopped playing professionally around then so I have not kept up. I can ask my brother in law what he recommends as he still plays. I played bass, so I am out of the loop a bit. The mesa boogy stuff is nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post

want!!!! $500.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    I've never met a guitarist who thinks he's too loud.

I don't think I'm too loud but my neighbors do and we already have enough problems with the people that live next door.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought a smokey around 95 and it will drive a 4x12 cab. I have been very happy with my Mustang II it's not tube, but it does alot of things well. The software and online support alone is well worth the money. I think it would be perfect for apartment use.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    What the hell?!?! I am so buying one of those!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast