Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishin'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Fishin'

Funny story about an Arizonan and stocked fish. A couple years ago I took one of my wife's law school friends from Phoenix up to the Boundary Waters. We're laying into the northerns and smallmouths when he stops and turns around in the canoe with a confused look on his face.

"If the portages we took are the only way into this lake, how did they get all these fish in here?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cookietruck View Post
    figure i can pull all the blue gill i want out

doubt there will be any bass large enough to pull just yet
    Only makes the rest healthier

You would be surprised + see 1st line.

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Driving down a couple miles of logging road, paddling across three lakes, poling through a beaver pond, and portaging in between to get back into a tiny, inaccessible lake paid off yesterday afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post

Sweet LM but boy I love those crappie.......been way too long.

When I was just in WI we got into a back cove at sunset & a whole school of white bass were chasing minnows on the surface (so cool!) and we got 4-5 and one I got was a good 14" - beautiful fish, my 1st white bass, like a striper with a crappie head/mouth.
    Such perfect little minnow vaccums........easy to tear out a lure, best to net them.

At last light I pulled a SM bass out of the WB school.......

Jonesing for some fishin' - bad.
    - Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post

When I was just in WI we got into a back cove at sunset & a whole school of white bass were chasing minnows on the surface (so cool!) and we got 4-5 and one I got was a good 14" - beautiful fish, my 1st white bass, like a striper with a crappie head/mouth.
    Such perfect little minnow vaccums........easy to tear out a lure, best to net them.

- Garro.
    There's nothing like bass on the surface. Last night I was fishing with a small floating Rapala and the bass were taking it right off the surface before I'd get a chance to start my retrieve. Toward sunset the fish were hitting nearly every cast. Nothing really big, but fast and furious action. I was thinking about heading back with a float tube, fly rod, and a bunch of little poppers.

I've never eaten white bass. Are they any good? I used to fish with a buddy below the Ford Dam in St. Paul, and we caught piles of them. That's the only place I've ever caught them, and I assume it's the northern extent of their range. Fun fish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve - are you paddling an AEII or a Long Haul MKII in those pics? I had an AEII for a while, but swapped it on a Moots MTB about a year ago. Fantastic boats! I'm getting a rotomolded hardshell double to replace it though -- for local paddling and fishing with the kids, it's easier to just pull it off the roof and throw it in the water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post

I've never eaten white bass. Are they any good?
    Oh, they are!
    Fishy in a very good way, white, flaky, easy to fillet.
    One of the coolest fish I have caught in a while.
    - Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMG_1938.JPG
    Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    Steve - are you paddling an AEII or a Long Haul MKII in those pics? I had an AEII for a while, but swapped it on a Moots MTB about a year ago. Fantastic boats! I'm getting a rotomolded hardshell double to replace it though -- for local paddling and fishing with the kids, it's easier to just pull it off the roof and throw it in the water.
    Good eye!
    One of the finest items i own, my MKII - how do you know about them?

They are the creme de la creme of folders along with feathercraft - I have all the add-ons - it's so fun to use.
    I hear ya on the rotomolds, I'm up to:
    The MKII
    Michicraft 18' aluminum lake canoe
    Two Necky Zoar 14'ers sea kayaks, rotomold
    Old town 10' kayak, rotomold
    Two NRS tandem duckies.
    - Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grew up on the Baltic at our summer cottage in northern Sweden. We didn't have running water at the cottage until the nineties, so when I was a kid, my folks would send me across the bay to get water at the municipal dock. 10 years old maybe, driving a 17-foot wood clinker-built rowboat with a tiller-steer 1962 Gale Buccaneer 5hp. Memories like that never fade even a little, do they?

The boat was a real traditional Swedish "eka" rowboat - clinker build out of pine/fir and treated with an even mix of linseed oil, turpentine, and what we called "Roslags" tar. No idea what it's called in English. Gale was the Montomery Ward version of the OMC/Evinrude/Johnson outboards, and we still have that 5hp - never had the engine apart in 50 years. Just run it dry of fuel in a 55-gallon drum of fresh water at the end of the season...

I remember in about 1982 we got a Yamaha 8hp and put it on our plastic boat -- and it would plane! First boat I'd ever known that did that - I was blown away by the sheer speed... Seems funny now.

Anyway, with that background, about 10 years ago, I stumbled on Tom Yost's kayak pages (looking for a bike rack for my motorcycle), which led to the Ralph Diaz book, to Kleppers, and so on. Obviously, being a fan of wood boats, and seeing a Aerius without the skin... it didn't take long....

Anyway, here's my Chief Mate:

6256034282_cf8465b5ba_z.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't imagine how strong a 230lb ahi would be. Trivia: ahi is the Hawaiian word for fire. The fish got this name because they would pull so hard that there would be smoke at the interface of the fishing lines and the rails of the boats.

Ahi Tuna Capsizes Hawaiian Angler’s Boat, Drags Him Underwater | Fishing Articles & Stories

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of kayaks, my sister-in-law ordered a couple of these. Local NYC product evidently. I saw one on display at the end of my block a few hours ago. Looks pretty well thought out - strapping system, ribs, seat - even if it does not look like the quickest paddling craft I've seen. And I'd pack it full of float bags to maximize buoyancy. Not sure how it would be to fish out of them, but I like the idea of having one stashed in the car trunk just in case!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to joke with my wife when we lived in the City that when the excrement hit the fan and the National Guard were posted on the bridges, we'd sneak out of the City in our Klepper under cover of darkness. Just in case, as you say!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW roslag is a mix of boiled linseed oil and kiln-fired wood tar. Seems like the Swedes have been making it forever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got into a mess of black nose crappie thursday night. Those guys are fun to catch on light tackle, and i would say that they are about as good eating as any freshwater fish. Pulled 12 out in about 45 minutes, then turned off like a switch.

Taking my gals out in the RV for the weekend in a little bit. 125,000 acres, 80 miles of ATB trails, and plenty of gravel roads. The southern fork of the Cumberland River will have me in it before dark! Large, smalls, redeye/Kentucky, and hopefully some rainbows.

Camping, riding, fishing, eating. Who needs heaven in the sky, i got me some right here.. Spoiled, good days

- Garro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AndrewsLaker.jpg
    One happy camper.
    Beautiful fishin' day till the winds came in, and the wife was slaying the blueberries. So EVERYBODY had a good time

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

went fishing finally
    no weeds in the tank so threw a little jig and gave the lady a spoon to throw
    we caught about 7 fish in an hour and a half or so
    all bass, except one catfish that hit the spoon
    the spoon is what they liked, the lady caught more fish than me
    they were about 9-10" long, were fingerlings a year ago
    the catfish was a bit larger than all the bass, and it grunted at me when i took it off the hook

didn't keep any this time, will probably go back out there in a few months when it's a little cooler and keep some

funny, i talked to one of my uncles about fishing some of the more mature tanks, he says oh yeah, sure you can fish them
    are you keeping or throwing back
    my reply is oh i might want to keep one or two
    then all the sudden his story is oh, well the drought has hit all these tanks pretty hard these last few years and the populations are dwindling
    not sure you'll have much luck
    so we just hung out and he showed us around some of the land i haven't been to in years and years
    and he gave us some of the beef jerky he was cold smoking, was real tasty
    good time for a half day trip and i found out how large the fish are in the tank at this point

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My kids had a successful day at the pond. Starting with this 16" catfish:

My youngest snagged this 23" catfish:

Surprisingly, he also hooked a bullfrog:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ElvisMerckx View Post

Surprisingly, he also hooked a bullfrog:
    Those are amazingly easy to catch - they will grab anything that moves that will fit in it's mouth......
    Cooks up good, too!
    You know how to clean catfish?
    - Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just started fishing on Harbour Island SC. The water is muddy, and you can walk 1/2 mile in the ocean and still stand. The Kayak did not bring a single bite so I walked over to the inlet. Must have been 500 pelicans hanging out on the sandbar.
    Throwing a Gulp shrimp with the baitcaster I suddenly was looking at a reel that was emptying the 20 lbs braid.
    Must have been 30 minutes before I landed a stingray with the hook in his wing. That's why he was so strong I guess.
    Just this morning I was able to free up the drag that got stuck. Even if you don't believe on even hooking a crab; never enter the ocean without adjusting your drag. Biggest kick in surf spinning is staring at an emptying spool!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know how to clean catfish?
    - Garro.
    Yep. My method involves a hammer & nail, a 2x4, a razor blade, and skin pullers. Sound about right to you?