Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishin'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Fishin'

If this gets moved to the Tunes thread I won't object but I think a song that mentions using a girlfriend's earring as a lure belongs in the Fishin' thread. Plus you get to see a sweet LeCar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    That's exactly right. You'd be amazed how many Minnesotans and Cheeseheads don't know how to fillet northerns and so throw them back because they're convinced that they're "too boney." Filleted right (boneless), they're one of the best eating fish with fine texture, firm flesh, and mild flavor.
    I is Swedish and Northern Pike are one of our most prevalent fish. But I never really ate them because of those horrible, awful y-bones. Seriously, that might be the post from which I've gained the most on v-salon. Thanks!

Took my son fishing on Saturday and mountain biking on Sunday. Good weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fishing report.: Brought back 2 coolers full!! Went fishing inland on Bon Secour bay and Arnica bay, just outside of Fort Morgan. Man, what an awesome couple of days. Speckled trout, redfish, flounder and Cobia. I was totally unfamiliar with cobia, but that was some fun shit. Nothing huge, but quantity was off the chain.

I was so excited i told my wife to look for a house down there. I could really get into some of that. I got smart on the way home and told we would just buy another RV, one to pull a boat with.

I haven't gotten that excited in a long time.. It has gotten me excited to do a lot more fishing here at home. We have some great rivers.

I took a bunch of photos, and i am now going to try and figure out how to post them..

If you live on the beach and need someone to hang out with, hit me up. I am an excellent house guest, will buy gas and beer and am very tidy. I can also repair just about anything. Let me Know!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    Fishing report.: Brought back 2 coolers full!! Went fishing inland on Bon Secour bay and Arnica bay, just outside of Fort Morgan. Man, what an awesome couple of days. Speckled trout, redfish, flounder and Cobia. I was totally unfamiliar with cobia, but that was some fun shit. Nothing huge, but quantity was off the chain.

I was so excited i told my wife to look for a house down there. I could really get into some of that. I got smart on the way home and told we would just buy another RV, one to pull a boat with.

I haven't gotten that excited in a long time.. It has gotten me excited to do a lot more fishing here at home. We have some great rivers.

I took a bunch of photos, and i am now going to try and figure out how to post them..

If you live on the beach and need someone to hang out with, hit me up. I am an excellent house guest, will buy gas and beer and am very tidy. I can also repair just about anything. Let me Know!!
    I'm going to Baja for almost a month in Nov/Dec.
    I am SO stoked.
    - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assume this is an invitation?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assume this is an invitation?
    Nope!
    Sorry.........
    I only travel with a select group all of whom have tons of Latin American travel experience, have all their own gear, drive trucks they can fix, and can converse & order food in Spanish.
    Go - it's amazing.......
    http://coconinocycles.blogspot.com/2...k-to-work.html
    - Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

damnit! on the wrong side of the mighty Mississippi for me anyway..

I went to baja for a couple of weeks about 15 years ago. It was glorious, i want to take my wife sometime.

By the way, i am 3 out of the 4, with exception of the Latin travelling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ft. Morgan rocks...rigs, beach, bay...everything right handy. my last salty trip was out there. other fave is Indian Pass-over next to Apalachicola.

Cobia are usually called "Ling" in our Gulf (by the locals), and are highly-targeted gamefish, they get big and eat good. I've not hooked up with one yet. 40" Kings is my biggest yet*. Learning more about salt all the time.

*which is plenty (oh and a 4' blacktip) but we have fished for tarpon and they're monsters, and will do that again. no baby tarpon up here, just the adults which start about 120# and go to 200 real fast, and jump like smallmouth and billfish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roadtrip! Just bought a small rv today, let me know when..

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post
    Ft. Morgan rocks...rigs, beach, bay...everything right handy. my last salty trip was out there. other fave is Indian Pass-over next to Apalachicola.

Cobia are usually called "Ling" in our Gulf (by the locals), and are highly-targeted gamefish, they get big and eat good. I've not hooked up with one yet. 40" Kings is my biggest yet*. Learning more about salt all the time.

*which is plenty (oh and a 4' blacktip) but we have fished for tarpon and they're monsters, and will do that again. no baby tarpon up here, just the adults which start about 120# and go to 200 real fast, and jump like smallmouth and billfish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

18-25lb cobia, but 60-70 are common. Wasn't looking for big dogs, just eaters. I wouldn't be saying this if I caught a biggun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roadtrip! Just bought a small rv today, let me know when..
    get a 'yak too! October is a choice month for GM atwo. But I has a "bigger fish" to fry that month-in TX. I don't recall any RV parks at Ft. Morgan, but Indian Pass certainly does, or even St. Andrews SP(PCB).

The 'yak in salt thing is "viral". They're doing seminars and tourneys all around-INTeresting tournaments that is, see: PFCS #1It aint no use if it aint chartreuse | Paddle-Fishing.com where only one color of lure was allowed and bonus fishes were "trash" fish and other "thinkin' man" features. Plus-the money is nominal, so less cheater attraction. They ran another tourney where your lures were given to you at the starting point. Of course i'm primarily going to catch live bait and fish that-but if i was there and there was a tourney...

As much as i like to be away from the maddening crowds, there is safety in numbers of itty bitty boats when going BTB (beyond the breakers), PLUS you really want a local with a pal (or at least a marine VHF) when something big drags you a few extra miles out -for a motor tow back if necessary.

Anyhoo, the rivers have about settled here-so i'll be back in them soon enough. I hear summer is coming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PLUS you really want a local with a pal (or at least a marine VHF) when something big drags you a few extra miles out

I have had this twice & both times never saw the fish.
    We were in a 17' tandem kayak and I was bumping a one ounce-ish Swedish Pimple (Yep, that's it's name http://www.swedishpimple.com/HTML/swedishpimple/n.html ) off the bottom on sand in Sonora, Mexico and something grabbed it and started peeling line..........I tightened down the drag and it pulled both of us in the tandem into the wind & 2' chop for 20min in circles before it stuck to the bottom for good.
    I grabbed the line and pulled really hard & to my surprise my lure came back up!
    Best guess is a big ass Cortez Halibut but a big ray was not out of the question, although I have never caught a ray on anything but bait.
    - Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell us about your tackle for salty outings Steve. What's your heavy rod setup?

Drifting, anchor, drift sock, tied up?

With a good hookup-and the boat being a functional part of the "drag" system, silly big fishes do get "boated"-mostly CPR, but "Shark Bait"/Henry brought in a 49" ling and split it 3 or 4 ways with his fishing bros (i forget i've seen many vids).

details:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell us about your tackle for salty outings Steve. What's your heavy rod setup?

Drifting, anchor, drift sock, tied up?

With a good hookup-and the boat being a functional part of the "drag" system, silly big fishes do get "boated"-mostly CPR, but "Shark Bait"/Henry brought in a 49" ling and split it 3 or 4 ways with his fishing bros (i forget i've seen many vids).
    For kayaking I am damn wary - there are big fish down there - have a pinche vest knife and a PFD on!

I run line I can break - 15-12lb with a tie-able stainless leader - "Toothy Critter" brand with a barrel swivel at the tline/leader.

I don't want to go Cap'n Ahab with the vile beast........

I rock a 6.5' cabela's saltwater rod (I have four matching) that's heavy/med with a big saltwater spinning reel, plenty of line.

I like kayak trolling - 4-5.5" jointed rebels or rapalas - big bass plugs, basically - what you would catch pike on, something that dives 20-30' with a big lip, and troll the edges where the water falls from shallow to deep & changes color.

Hard to fuck up if the bite is on.......in the ocean the fish travel in waves with the bait & eggs.

I used to like surfcasting but I can't run from the waves anymore!

Check out the 100% required book "Baja Catch" - you need it to find out what you caught on some days.
    Ocean? Look what they caught in the little river in my backyard......http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...caught-arizona

- Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Nope!
    Sorry.........
    I only travel with a select group all of whom have tons of Latin American travel experience, have all their own gear, drive trucks they can fix, and can converse & order food in Spanish.
    Go - it's amazing.......
    coconino cycles custom bicycles 928 774 7747 www.coconinocycles.com: Back from Baja, back to work.
    - Garro.
    Amazing looks like an understatement. Those whales look really curious about who is in the boat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Amazing looks like an understatement. Those whales look really curious about who is in the boat.
    Life changing.
    Go.
    Feb/March
    If you need details ask.
    - Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet on the flathead (yellow, opelousas, etc), yes that's my favorite way-the-hell Inshore target species. TN record is 85-ish. They're top tier predators, not to be confused with the mud-sucking channel and other cats. Excellent eating at any size-every single ounce of it.

Also, for the record, our state has a "one per day over 34 inches" big cat reg. Haven't used the rule yet, but then i do like returning genuine trophy fish to the water-given that chance!

nothing like baiting with a 2 pound carp:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so i used to fish all the time out at the farm when i was a kid.
    kinda got out of it, my dad got some land and part of clearing it he needed to have a pond (we always called them tanks for some reason) built.
    he had the choice of a smaller one or a pretty large one based on the way the land is there...he had the large one built.

excited to get out there and start fishing again

he stocked lots of minnows and whatever the bait fish are
    then bluegill and redear bream in feb. 2012
    then more bluegill and bream in june of 2012 along with bass and channel catfish...

i need to get out there and see what i can pull out at this point. i'm guessing i might get some ok size bluegill and bream. no keeper bass or catfish yet.
    need to get with one of my uncles that goes out there often and find out where all the other tanks i can fish are located...pretty sure there are quite a few of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cookietruck View Post
    so i used to fish all the time out at the farm when i was a kid.
    kinda got out of it, my dad got some land and part of clearing it he needed to have a pond (we always called them tanks for some reason) built.
    he had the choice of a smaller one or a pretty large one based on the way the land is there...he had the large one built.

excited to get out there and start fishing again

he stocked lots of minnows and whatever the bait fish are
    then bluegill and redear bream in feb. 2012
    then more bluegill and bream in june of 2012 along with bass and channel catfish...

i need to get out there and see what i can pull out at this point. i'm guessing i might get some ok size bluegill and bream. no keeper bass or catfish yet.
    need to get with one of my uncles that goes out there often and find out where all the other tanks i can fish are located...pretty sure there are quite a few of them.
    Where did you grow up?
    Man-made ponds are "tanks" in AZ too, and meadows are "parks"
    You should chuck one nice carp in there for weed control......
    I'd be all over that - I'll fish for anything, anywhere.
    - Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)