Default Re: Fishin'

Idaho and Montana this summer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like your waders. I have some similar. They never leak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trophy brown in Spain yesterday. I'm guessing 26-28" but she ran twice and bird nested my reel despite strong drag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'll share this over here too. I caught a few browns including one really nice one. My wife caught more. Medicine Lodge Creek inside the State Park, Hyattville, WY.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

314870091_678673177249023_8157936027876373484_n.jpg3A74FE1F-90EF-4852-8FBF-9AFA713ED7C5.jpgC53128D5-4FE0-4A96-806E-7E41851AF8F2.jpg1755C41A-96A2-4814-96DC-C88856BE760B.jpg18E0D08E-1195-4E39-8C3F-7F7B55E45810.jpg314870091_678673177249023_8157936027876373484_n.jpg315996890_1164091070884345_152350212500413579_n.jpgF4396F97-AE5F-498A-950E-154DDA40B3FB.jpgFEB96119-897D-464C-B010-ABC853F5919C.jpg08ABEBEC-553A-4E88-B297-B61A26205FAB.jpgC9CCF724-EC75-41DF-9E18-9306083E12A7.jpg978EC177-B041-424A-A76F-716992C81466.jpgBack from a 3.5 week adventure - man, the fishing was sick - few species, but some as big as they get - tried to attach more, maybe later it'll let me
    - Garro.
    Last edited by steve garro; 11-20-2022 at 01:42 PM.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve, the variety down there is just astounding. A+ on that lure. That brings back fond memories.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

222AABB0-F70B-44A8-A8C5-5A8FE4BC7790.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Steve, the variety down there is just astounding. A+ on that lure. That brings back fond memories.
    Over 900 species in the gulf alone and I only fish for a small # of them but I got 3 new "lifers" this trip.

That model Rebel has the record for both salt & freshwater striped bass of which one is 89lbs so you know this guy was a train wrecker and it's still just a baby - adults got well over 150lbs !

- Garro.
    Last edited by steve garro; 11-26-2022 at 11:16 AM.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good trip down south, cold temps (50's at night, 60's during the day but those are Pacific coast 60's) caught these guys until I was sore - turtles & dolphins going off as well, great times were had
    - Garro.

342646675_4132959016929280_8880655574976570877_n.jpg
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve, what's the day like down there? How early are you on the water? Does the wind come up in the afternoon, "forcing" a siesta? Always enjoy your pics and stories.
    Last edited by 72gmc; 05-09-2023 at 12:23 PM.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Steve, what's the day like down there? How early are you on the water? Does the wind come up in the afternoon, "forcing" a siesta? Always enjoy your pics and stories.
    I have seen almost every condition imaginable but April into May was cool nights, heavy dew, up with the sun, on the water by 7AM, off it by 1PM as then 25-30MPH winds hit hard from the W but at least it sure keeps the flies down, come back, eat a big meal, relax, fix shit.........then right at dark the wind would stop.
    Repeat

We were the only kayakers we saw out in 10 days on the water - here's D & Osa, we are about a mile out from shore.

- Garro.IMG_3086.jpg
    Last edited by steve garro; 05-09-2023 at 03:38 PM.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We'll be in Wyoming by the weekend. I think we'll have to wait until June to get any good fly fishing due to all the runoff.

We will fish Yellowstone several times this summer. There have been some interesting studies of the invasive Lake Trout in Yellowstone Lake. The decline in the elk population has been linked back to the Lake Trout decimation of the Cutthroat population. Grizzly Bears depended on the spawning Cutthroats for protein, but with the dwindling numbers, the bears are preying on elk calves. Several efforts are being used to control and hopefully eliminate the Lake Trout.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/natur...od%20resources.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I going to start a mad experiment stocking our creek with 2" brown trout. They will undoubtedly 1.) all get eaten 2.) die if not eaten 3.) if not eaten or dead will swim down to the main stream (Roeliff Jansen Kill) where they will hopefully survive. I'm going to do this twice a year (2" in spring, 4+" in fall) for 5 years and see what happens. None of them will take up residence in our stream as it usually doesn't have enough flow in August to support fish. But it has enough flow further down stream to support spawning and nurturing of fry. And the main stream has browns in it. I figure I can at least put the bio-print of our stream into the genetics of a few fish to help the rebuilding process of the Roeliff Jansen Kill. It has some patches of nice trout water, but overall is still in tough shape so could use the help.

Eh, we'll see.
    Last edited by j44ke; 05-10-2023 at 08:26 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I going to start a mad experiment stocking our creek with 2" brown trout. They will undoubtedly 1.) all get eaten 2.) die if not eaten 3.) if not eaten or dead will swim down to the main stream (Roeliff Jansen Kill) where they will hopefully survive. I'm going to do this twice a year (2" in spring, 4+" in fall) for 5 years and see what happens. None of them will take up residence in our stream as it usually doesn't have enough flow in August to support fish. But it has enough flow further down stream to support spawning and nurturing of fry. And the main stream has browns in it. I figure I can at least put the bio-print of our stream into the genetics of a few fish to help the rebuilding process of the Roeliff Jansen Kill. It has some patches of nice trout water, but overall is still in tough shape so could use the help.

Eh, we'll see.
    Ummmmm......
    I'd contact your local game & fish, if it's a green light they may possible even help you - I see you are in NY, here are the rules concerning it:

https://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/25026.html

- Garro.
    Last edited by steve garro; 05-10-2023 at 10:19 AM.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If you like brown trout and want to make a vacation pay, head to Lee's Ferry, AZ. It's a beautiful location, even if you don't catch any fish. You might even catch a glimpse of a couple fishing from kayaks, one of which will have a dog.

https://www.nps.gov/glca/planyourvis...ut-harvest.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Ummmmm......
    I'd contact your local game & fish, if it's a green light they may possible even help you - I see you are in NY, here are the rules concerning it:

https://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/25026.html

- Garro.
    Yes, already have my stocking permit* from DEC and am working with the fisheries department at SUNY Cobleskill. And that's where I'll get my fish.

*On the advice of the hatchery manager at Cobleskill I put down brook, rainbow and brown for stocking, and the DEC crossed brook and rainbow off but approved brown for Roeliff Jansen watershed. Had I tried for one species and not picked the one DEC would approve, I would have to re-apply for the one DEC would approve. They won't tell you in advance. I'd never pick rainbow, but I was thinking brook trout would be the DEC's preference. However, they like brown trout in streams that have sections of warmer temps and sediment from agricultural erosion.
    Last edited by j44ke; 05-10-2023 at 03:26 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Yes, already have my stocking permit* from DEC and am working with the fisheries department at SUNY Cobleskill. And that's where I'll get my fish.

*On the advice of the hatchery manager at Cobleskill I put down brook, rainbow and brown for stocking, and the DEC crossed brook and rainbow off but approved brown for Roeliff Jansen watershed. Had I tried for one species and not picked the one DEC would approve, I would have to re-apply for the one DEC would approve. They won't tell you in advance. I'd never pick rainbow, but I was thinking brook trout would be the DEC's preference. However, they like brown trout in streams that have sections of warmer temps and sediment from agricultural erosion.
    Yep, makes sense - Browns definitely run hotter than the other two species, a shame you couldn't do native brookies!

- Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have just finished making myself a copy of my pre 1964, Leonard 38, 7ft, 3/4 weight rod. The original has a small reel seat which requires a tiny "Fairy" reel. By adding 2mm to the length of the reel seat, the copy will now take most of my small Hardy and Orvis reels. I made the reel seat and ferrule out of titanium alloy. The original Leonard has nickel silver.

I may get to try it later this week if the flood in my local stream subsides.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jacobs View Post
    I have just finished making myself a copy of my pre 1964, Leonard 38, 7ft, 3/4 weight rod. The original has a small reel seat which requires a tiny "Fairy" reel. By adding 2mm to the length of the reel seat, the copy will now take most of my small Hardy and Orvis reels. I made the reel seat and ferrule out of titanium alloy. The original Leonard has nickel silver.

I may get to try it later this week if the flood in my local stream subsides.

Do tell - what did you make it from?
    - Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Do tell - what did you make it from?
    - Garro.
    From bamboo, which got to England from China via Montana. The way I do it is to segment the culm (the bamboo pole), then split it, glue the chopstics back together then plane six tapered strips with triangular cross section. These are glued back together to make the hexagonal sections of the finished rod. The individual strips of bamboo are quite fine by the time they reach the rod tip.