Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Fishin'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Fishin'

Wow. Back when you were first talking about it I thought boy, wouldn't that be fun to do so I read up on it. I quickly realized it was waaaayyyy beyond my skills. That is so cool.

This weekend I happened to be wandering around an antique shop that was heavily into fishing gear - many antique outboard motors, a barrel full of fishing rods, reels of every type and description but what surprised me the most were the spoons made out of mother of pearl. I bet they were deadly.
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still have enough cane left over for about another 14 rods.
    That is a good plan for the winter months...
    Last edited by guido; 09-24-2021 at 10:17 AM.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Wow. Back when you were first talking about it I thought boy, wouldn't that be fun to do so I read up on it. I quickly realized it was waaaayyyy beyond my skills. That is so cool.

This weekend I happened to be wandering around an antique shop that was heavily into fishing gear - many antique outboard motors, a barrel full of fishing rods, reels of every type and description but what surprised me the most were the spoons made out of mother of pearl. I bet they were deadly.
    Thank you!

I have been reading up on it since 1966. I have more than 10 books on the subject without counting all the information I have gleaned from the internet. When I eventually got started, the cane work all went according to plan. I made a number of spare strips and ended up using none of them so they will go into another rod.

The rod casts as well as I could wish and has caught fish. My cosmetics and finishing skills are adequate but well short of those of past or present top rod makers so that is what I need to work on.

I used to build bike frames but fishing rods require less storage space.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent Paul! Nothing like a well balanced cane rod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just back from a week in Montana. Fishing wasn't as good as usual but we did catch a handful of these.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice fish! It looks slightly bigger than my lifetime best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've got a few places where 20"+ browns are not unusual. Last year we landed over 60 in 4 days; this year it was a hand full. But, it was time in beautiful country with a dear friend, perfect weather and fly rods in hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
    We've got a few places where 20"+ browns are not unusual. Last year we landed over 60 in 4 days; this year it was a hand full. But, it was time in beautiful country with a dear friend, perfect weather and fly rods in hand.
    Summer of 2020, we were fishing the Shoshone on the way to Yellowstone. Standing in knee deep water with my fly rod, breeze through the trees, and even with no strikes or rises, I was completely at peace just standing there. My wife gets impatient, she's the real fisherman, I'm just happy to sling a fly in a beautiful spot, the fish are a bonus.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    Summer of 2020, we were fishing the Shoshone on the way to Yellowstone. Standing in knee deep water with my fly rod, breeze through the trees, and even with no strikes or rises, I was completely at peace just standing there. My wife gets impatient, she's the real fisherman, I'm just happy to sling a fly in a beautiful spot, the fish are a bonus.
    You are so right. If fishing was only about catching fish we would not be using fly rods, we would be using nets or dynamite. Last time I was at my local stream I spent more time watching a pair of kingfishers than swinging my rod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting ready for pike season...
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amur pike in Mongolia, on a fly. We needed to change the leader after landing this fish.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
    Amur pike in Mongolia, on a fly. We needed to change the leader after landing this fish.
    A couple of weeks ago I had a Northern Pike cut through 20lb fluorocarbon like it was a spider web... Fortunately I had wire leaders with me, and I caught her an hour later after finding the popper floating on the surface with 4 inches of cut off leader attached...
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A guide my grandfather used to hire up in Lake of the Woods (Kenora was nearest town) would take a cork and push a hook's eye through the center so it was basically a popper, then toss it into a reed bed and catch a pike. Usually the cork ended up pushed several inches up the line or chewed to pieces. Same trip I was casting with a new baitcast reel off the dock and learning how NOT to create a bird's nest of the line. Lure sank to the bottom while I untangled a bunch of knots and when I was finally done, I reeled in and found I was stuck on the bottom. I spent some time trying to unstick the lure until it slowly began to come up. I figured it was a water-logged branch, so I slowly guided it towards the shore end of the dock. Then all heck broke loose and by the end of it I had a 12lbs northern pike. Not a water logged branch.
    Last edited by j44ke; 10-19-2021 at 08:44 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going on a 4-day fly fishing trip tomorrow. The town is a village of 50 residents about an hour 15 minute drive from Barcelona. I've never fished in October so I'm nervous as the temp is dipping to around 6C as a low although the high will be just over 20. I sleep in a hostel for fishermen: I pay the mayor a tenner a night and have it to myself. There's probably 6 bunk beds, 3-4 showers, a kitchen, and wifi. I'm nervous about the fishing because I feel like I can throw out what I know about the river and start over with less vegetation and water plus motivated, smart trout. I'm going to fish mostly streamers with my 7 wt. I'm told that big browns are out in full force to spawn and it's the best time of year to target while they're feeding aggressively. I'll also have my dry fly rod for terrestrials and nymphs. I'm hoping my legs stay warm. I've got a pair of Capilene Patagonia long john bottoms and a cheap pair of fleece pants that I just bought at Decathlon. Worst case I'll wear them together. I have two weights of Simms winter socks so I'm not too worried about my feet. Hope to report back with a trophy or two. I'm really looking forward to getting out in the fall. I had a trip planned last year that was cancelled coming out of lockdown.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    Going on a 4-day fly fishing trip tomorrow. The town is a village of 50 residents about an hour 15 minute drive from Barcelona. I've never fished in October so I'm nervous as the temp is dipping to around 6C as a low although the high will be just over 20. I sleep in a hostel for fishermen: I pay the mayor a tenner a night and have it to myself. There's probably 6 bunk beds, 3-4 showers, a kitchen, and wifi. I'm nervous about the fishing because I feel like I can throw out what I know about the river and start over with less vegetation and water plus motivated, smart trout. I'm going to fish mostly streamers with my 7 wt. I'm told that big browns are out in full force to spawn and it's the best time of year to target while they're feeding aggressively. I'll also have my dry fly rod for terrestrials and nymphs. I'm hoping my legs stay warm. I've got a pair of Capilene Patagonia long john bottoms and a cheap pair of fleece pants that I just bought at Decathlon. Worst case I'll wear them together. I have two weights of Simms winter socks so I'm not too worried about my feet. Hope to report back with a trophy or two. I'm really looking forward to getting out in the fall. I had a trip planned last year that was cancelled coming out of lockdown.
    Great trip. I've never fished in fall before. I was worried about the water and being cold but other than freezing fingertips fishing in fog in the am and a bit cool about a half hour before sunset it was fine. My right foot was soaking wet as I took my waders off the last day. I was admiring how dry both feet were the previous days. I baby my waders but might have a leak which I may have to get looked at; hopefully Patagonia Europe can help in that regard.

Two summers ago (August 2020) I went to the same river, Spain's trophy trout river, the Segre, and caught two trophy rainbows > 65 centimeters. I hooked a third tank but lost him within sight about a foot from my net. I became obsessed with this run and fished it relentlessly. Everyone tells me fishing for browns in October is the best month so I was expecting fireworks but I found the fishing slower than summer and this was contrary to logic i.e. warm water versus cooler water. I've never seen trophies out and about before and to hook three in the same stretch of river was eye opening. So, this time I went directly to the beat where I caught the trophies but it didn't produce anything for me over 4 days. I never gave up and fished it at least once every day but nothing. I finally caught 3 solid browns and hooked 2 more but lost them as I was brining them to net. It was gorgeous fishing in fall.

As I was walking to the car I tripped and landed flat on my face about ten feet from my rental. My rod went flying through the air which pretty much sums up fishing. A 5 year-old kid was standing by his parents on the far bank watching me in awe. I waved enthusiastically and he waved back. Along with a 24" brown that made my trip: I hope the kid returns serve to inspire the next generation one day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    Great trip. I've never fished in fall before. I was worried about the water and being cold but other than freezing fingertips fishing in fog in the am and a bit cool about a half hour before sunset it was fine. My right foot was soaking wet as I took my waders off the last day. I was admiring how dry both feet were the previous days. I baby my waders but might have a leak which I may have to get looked at; hopefully Patagonia Europe can help in that regard.

Two summers ago (August 2020) I went to the same river, Spain's trophy trout river, the Segre, and caught two trophy rainbows > 65 centimeters. I hooked a third tank but lost him within sight about a foot from my net. I became obsessed with this run and fished it relentlessly. Everyone tells me fishing for browns in October is the best month so I was expecting fireworks but I found the fishing slower than summer and this was contrary to logic i.e. warm water versus cooler water. I've never seen trophies out and about before and to hook three in the same stretch of river was eye opening. So, this time I went directly to the beat where I caught the trophies but it didn't produce anything for me over 4 days. I never gave up and fished it at least once every day but nothing. I finally caught 3 solid browns and hooked 2 more but lost them as I was brining them to net. It was gorgeous fishing in fall.

As I was walking to the car I tripped and landed flat on my face about ten feet from my rental. My rod went flying through the air which pretty much sums up fishing. A 5 year-old kid was standing by his parents on the far bank watching me in awe. I waved enthusiastically and he waved back. Along with a 24" brown that made my trip: I hope the kid returns serve to inspire the next generation one day.
    Sounds like a great trip. Sorry to hear about the waders and the faceplant…

On the waders, learning how to repair them myself has saved me from wet feet on a couple trips out into the middle of nowhere. It’s not hard and if you can practice at home and know how to do it, it can be handy… here are links to Patagonia and Simms instructions - both basically the same theory. Hope that helps. Aquaseal UV cure is super handy for lots of things if you’re into camping and fishing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had an off summer but trying to get back int he swing of fall Kayak Fishing. No trophies yet but plenty of table Fare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver