Thread: Fishin'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Fishin'

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    In the Pyrenees there are supposed to be some nice trout streams near the mountains and I've heard there's good brown trout streams near Girona.
    Have you considered a Tenkara?

Man.......I was dicking around the other day with one, a couple minutes and you'll think "Yeah, I need this"

https://www.tenkarausa.com

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=steve garro;811006]Have you considered a Tenkara?

Man.......I was dicking around the other day with one, a couple minutes and you'll think "Yeah, I need this"

Tenkara are a blast, until you hook a real fish... i much prefer the sage ultralights like the 0wt or 000wt for toying around in that sort of fashion.
    But for fishing,God has yet to invent a better rod than the Sage ZXL 8ft 2wt or 8'6" 3wt. I have one of each and would buy one more of each, they are that good. a rod with mad soul. not a horrible beast pig rod for bass that they call a trout rod. no man should be aiming at 12inch average sized fish with 5wt fast action rods, unless maybe fishing windy conditions out of a boat or on stillwaters. or if the average sized trout is like in NZ, huge, not 12 inches. that is like hunting chickens with AR assault rifles, just overkill and not sporting at all. or maybe like commuting on a speedvagen, just too much

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Have you considered a Tenkara?<snip>[/url]
    My favorite part of fly fishing is casting it's like when you wail a golf ball you play over and over to do it again and I don't play golf, but I love casting and moving the fly to different parts of the water until I snag a tree or backcast into the tallest bushes in the world of course.

KAYAK QUESTION

Just took a look at the Jackson kayaks and they look great. We've been looking for something to get out on the water in summer. My family spends most of August in Galicia in a river channel that feeds the Atlantic, brackish water but definitely salt.

I'm looking for something to get out on the water with my kids. The problem is we don't have anywhere to store a boat but it's a small town and I can figure something out.

What are some classic timeless options to look for? Another problem is there's no way to purchase and bring a kayak or canoe over from the US so I may be limited to what I've seen here though I don't like what I've seen at our local Dick's Sporting Goods (Decathlon) but I haven't looked beyond that into specialty stores, fishing shops, etc.

I'm curious are there are any canoes that people take into what I would call a light ocean environment? Most of the stuff we would paddle around would be river inlets that feed into the ocean but it's quite big water just not crashing waves or anything like that.

I love the Jackson fishing kayaks but we would probably just fish from a recreational kayak or canoe, maybe not though

Just thought I'd ask as boats are always a fun topic - the challenge is always weight, transport, and cost so ideally something that I can manage on my own for my kids (4 and 6) would be great until my son's old enough to help out

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favorite part of fly fishing is casting it's like when you wail a golf ball you play over and over to do it again and I don't play golf, but I love casting and moving the fly to different parts of the water until I snag a tree or backcast into the tallest bushes in the world of course.

KAYAK QUESTION

Just took a look at the Jackson kayaks and they look great. We've been looking for something to get out on the water in summer. My family spends most of August in Galicia in a river channel that feeds the Atlantic, brackish water but definitely salt.

I'm looking for something to get out on the water with my kids. The problem is we don't have anywhere to store a boat but it's a small town and I can figure something out.

What are some classic timeless options to look for? Another problem is there's no way to purchase and bring a kayak or canoe over from the US so I may be limited to what I've seen here though I don't like what I've seen at our local Dick's Sporting Goods (Decathlon) but I haven't looked beyond that into specialty stores, fishing shops, etc.

I'm curious are there are any canoes that people take into what I would call a light ocean environment? Most of the stuff we would paddle around would be river inlets that feed into the ocean but it's quite big water just not crashing waves or anything like that.

I love the Jackson fishing kayaks but we would probably just fish from a recreational kayak or canoe, maybe not though

Just thought I'd ask as boats are always a fun topic - the challenge is always weight, transport, and cost so ideally something that I can manage on my own for my kids (4 and 6) would be great until my son's old enough to help out
    OK

You have two options, both of which I have allot of experience with.

* Inflatable
    Rafting > Inflatables > Inflatable Kayaks at nrs.com

* Folding

Folbot Folding Kayaks - Unfold New Adventures

I bet these are the most common in Europe, although I think Pouch is back in biz

I have two NRS "duckies" - Maverick II's = everything from fishing to running the Grand Canyon to thin creek boating, and I own A Longhaul folding tandem that's been all over = it's BOMBER.

I have a Mark II

Long Haul Folding Kayaks Mark 2

I think I have nine boats currently?

- Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about the next step up is that something like this?

I almost feel like why not have a motor to give you some options though I don't have water experience so I don't know how smart this is

This is where we spend summer - the inland stuff (Ria de Arousa) is big water but fairly gentle - we would never go beyond the tip which is the Atlantic and big water - we would mostly just play along the shore line I think; maybe try to fish somewhere

Ribeira

Ribeira is full of these wooden boats called dornas but they're very heavy so most people just keep them by the shore - as they're made of wood I would imagine it's expensive to repair them as well

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about the next step up is that something like this?

I almost feel like why not have a motor to give you some options though I don't have water experience so I don't know how smart this is

Ribeira is full of these wooden boats called dornas but they're very heavy so most people just keep them by the shore - as they're made of wood I would imagine it's expensive to repair them as well
    Ewww...............!

(My dos centavos)

You gotta figure if a boat is the common variety for the area, then it must be good for there - that Dorma looks damn near unsinkable!

- Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=mzilliox;811009]
    Have you considered a Tenkara?

Tenkara are a blast, until you hook a real fish... i much prefer the sage ultralights like the 0wt or 000wt for toying around in that sort of fashion.
    But for fishing,God has yet to invent a better rod than the Sage ZXL 8ft 2wt or 8'6" 3wt. I have one of each and would buy one more of each, they are that good. a rod with mad soul. not a horrible beast pig rod for bass that they call a trout rod. no man should be aiming at 12inch average sized fish with 5wt fast action rods, unless maybe fishing windy conditions out of a boat or on stillwaters. or if the average sized trout is like in NZ, huge, not 12 inches. that is like hunting chickens with AR assault rifles, just overkill and not sporting at all. or maybe like commuting on a speedvagen, just too much
    Was just in Japan. Everyone we saw fishing on the rivers through Kyoto was using a Tenkara-type fishing setup. Most of them were as long as radio antennas - like 12-15'. I watched one guy use one to work a fairly wide and challenging riffle that he would have otherwise needed to do some sketchy wading in and he caught a couple 2-3 lbs bass-type fish. Sort of looked like a bass/walleye mix. Not sure what they were. Japanese species. Pretty cool. Rods collapsed into themselves to about (guessing) 4'. Did seem to require some patience and traveling up and down the bank to land the fish.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Tenkara the flyfishing equivalent to single speed mountain or cross bikes? Moving back to Montana some of the streams I see on the mtb make me think a Tenkara rig is in my future. Ride the bike up , try and slay a few fish, let em go and roll all the way downhill home. Did I mention, I may need a growler carrier to help out? Thanks for the posts guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    Is Tenkara the flyfishing equivalent to single speed mountain or cross bikes? Moving back to Montana some of the streams I see on the mtb make me think a Tenkara rig is in my future. Ride the bike up , try and slay a few fish, let em go and roll all the way downhill home. Did I mention, I may need a growler carrier to help out? Thanks for the posts guys.
    Find out whoever's setup this is

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Find out whoever's setup this is
    Looks like a Tenkara judging by the line, or, he's using a Tenkara line - they come with tubular case that would fit on most MTB top tubes.

[QUOTE=j44ke;811309]
    Quote Originally Posted by mzilliox View Post
    2-3 lbs bass.
    Could have been LM bass - current world record is from Lake Biwa:

World Record Bass Watch: The Latest on Japan's Giant Largemouth | Field & Stream

- Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is what I was thinking on my Coconino Mr. Garo. It's TT is plenty long enough. Would be interesting to see if your cruiser middle tube would work Hmmmmm?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is what I was thinking on my Coconino Mr. Garo. It's TT is plenty long enough. Would be interesting to see if your cruiser middle tube would work Hmmmmm?
    Unlikely - but.......

20" / 3.2 OUNCES:

https://www.tenkararodco.com/product...iant=314551451

- Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, had a great fishing trip to Baja, boated my biggest fish in my kayak yet, and had amazing times with the Whale Sharks!

- Garro.

IMG_3604.JPGIMG_3611.JPG
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Friggin' awesome, Steve.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw the video on Facebook. Too cool. I'd need some new undies after that. I loved how Osa was ready to jump in.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need to rig up a lanyard for that sweet homemade gaff. A little 550 cord will do the trick. Ask me how I know that's a good idea...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    Need to rig up a lanyard for that sweet homemade gaff. A little 550 cord will do the trick. Ask me how I know that's a good idea...
    Had to swim down & get it once.........notice lanyard on pole holder..........installed after 3 people diving for it - it cost me a cold beer to the finder = scared of flipping the boat & getting the gaff caught in me tied to the boat - I got entangled once with just my face barely above water in 45* H2O temps - I actually have a net float found a sea to attach to achieve neutral buoyancy

- Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Tenkara the flyfishing equivalent to single speed mountain or cross bikes?
    I don't think it's Tenkara: fishing::singlespeed: MTB.

I got started on Tenkara but pretty quickly switched to a traditional setup in order to fish more of the river. Traditional flyfishing is still pretty simple in and of itself even with a reel and that's the diff between singlespeed and MTB in my estimation. I won't be kicking Tenkara out of bed because the appeal of Tenkara is exactly like you describe, though: putting a fishing rod in a backpack or on your handlebars and taking off!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMG_4121.JPGIMG_4204.JPG

A couple of cool native AZ fish - roundtail chub & sonoran sucker
    - Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DSC01754.jpgDSC01758.jpgFirst trout fishing this year and the first day I have felt like going fishing because of the weather. I fish when the weather suits me not when the weather suits catching fish.