User Tag List

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2526272829303132333435

Thread: Simple Bread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bread bakers …. Any experiences with, or recipes for Rye Bread?

This one has come out pretty well for me although I have only made it about 4 times. I have tried using it as is and also substituting maple syrup (as Bien Cuit has in their Art of Bread book a maple rye that is nice but a PITA to make) and then used honey instead of the malt. Kinda think the honey was better. I have tried some others that are similar. One of the keys is that you need to mix white and rye…and then you can also go down a rabbit whole of dark rye/ white rye/ light rye….I find half and half of regular bread flour and a dark rye are best to my taste buds. Also, another thing I like in this is the half crushed caraway and half not crushed. I think in that way the caraway-ness gets better disbursed in the bread. And, to me, the caraway is more of what I think of as the signature of rye bread than the rye itself.

Oh, and the reason you want a mix of white and rye flour is because rye flour has less gluten so you need the other and the half/half seems the right ratio for rise etc.

https://thebakersguide.com/deli-rye-bread-2
    Last edited by htwoopup; 02-05-2024 at 01:04 PM. Reason: To add about gluten
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    This one has come out pretty well for me although I have only made it about 4 times. I have tried using it as is and also substituting maple syrup (as Bien Cuit has in their Art of Bread book a maple rye that is nice but a PITA to make) and then used honey instead of the malt. Kinda think the honey was better. I have tried some others that are similar. One of the keys is that you need to mix white and rye…and then you can also go down a rabbit whole of dark rye/ white rye/ light rye….I find half and half of regular bread flour and a dark rye are best to my taste buds. Also, another thing I like in this is the half crushed caraway and half not crushed. I think in that way the caraway-ness gets better disbursed in the bread. And, to me, the caraway is more of what I think of as the signature of rye bread than the rye itself.

Oh, and the reason you want a mix of white and rye flour is because rye flour has less gluten so you need the other and the half/half seems the right ratio for rise etc.

https://thebakersguide.com/deli-rye-bread-2
    Thank you for that. Yes, I often end up adding Vital Wheat Gluten to rye bread mixes simply to deal with the Gluten issue.

I am in Arizona at present, and always surprised at how hard it is to find flour here, especially Rye flour. On a whim yesterday I thought I wonder if Amazon would have it? My Rye flour is being delivered today …..

At home in BC there is an independent mill up the road from me that grinds its own rye flour so always easy to get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMB View Post
    Thank you for that. Yes, I often end up adding Vital Wheat Gluten to rye bread mixes simply to deal with the Gluten issue.

I am in Arizona at present, and always surprised at how hard it is to find flour here, especially Rye flour. On a whim yesterday I thought I wonder if Amazon would have it? My Rye flour is being delivered today …..

At home in BC there is an independent mill up the road from me that grinds its own rye flour so always easy to get.
    King Arthur does good flour. https://shop.kingarthurbaking.com/flours/bread
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Simple Bread

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Ken Forkish is my go to guy...perhaps Jorn can move the conversation to the bread thread, if he's off his new tractor for a bit.

http://bakingartisanbread.blogspot.c...d-blend-2.html
    Tractor parked.

Makes sense. Done.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stuff recommendations:

Recently got one of these for my starter. It's great. I'm using the wooden lid, the gasket has two breather holes so it's not 100% air tight :: https://a.co/d/iNWn63o

Also picked up these, they work great for mixing starter and scraping the sides of the jar clean. They're stiff enough to really stir hard. :: https://a.co/d/gsYkvfS
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Used the clay baker for the first time. I did a "cold bake" as I was worried about cracking it if I preheated it. Dough rose beautifully, and I like the longer skinner shape, as well as how light and easy to handle the baker is. Two problems though:

1 - I should have baked it a full hour with the lid on, not 45mins, would have been better with a bit more moisture driven out.
    2 - I will line it with parchment paper next time, it stuck like a mofo on the bottom. Not looking forward to scraping it out later.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My better half gave me a cloche for Christmas. I've been using the Forkish method with a pre-heated dutch oven (Saturday while wheat mostly).

Last two loaves have been using a cold cloche rather than the dutch oven (added 10 minutes to the bake time), and doing the 2nd raise on the cloche base instead of in a banneton. Very comparable result, with the loaf being not as dark and moister.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2nd bake w/the oblong clay baker = great success. Parchment paper solved the sticking issue. Mixed this up Friday, baked it Weds morning. Killer.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wife asked me to make scones for the kiddos birthday later this month, did a trial run today. Chocolate chip on the left, cranberries and pineapple on the right. Put a little kosher salt on top of the chocolate ones. Haven’t had the pineapple/cranberry yet but the chocolate is CRAZY good!! I’ve never had scones I liked until today.

Recipe here :: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/scones-recipe

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update on the scones:

Pineapple is too mild a flavor and just disappears. Orange zest + cranberry next time I think.

They start drying out pretty quick, definitely best the day they come out of the oven.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The King’s recipe is good, but it’s hard to beat Fishers scone mix.

https://fisherscones.com/recipes/
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last of the Bob’s Red Mill flour and it was ok. Nothing that would make me buy it over King Arthur though, other than the store was out of the King and I needed AP flour at the time. This batch was 2/3 BRM and 1/3 KA and the crusty had a nice, smoky taste to it if that makes sense. It was dipped in EVO with dinner and Mrs. RW made her penne vodka sauce from scratch for dinner on this wintry March evening. Trying to stay awake as I sit in front of a nice, warm fire right now…
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Trying to stay awake as I sit in front of a nice, warm fire right now…
    Why stay awake?
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dropping this off at my friend's house, as he's laid up for a while with a TKR. Started off as the world, then morphed into the three rivers...local joke.
    rw saunders