Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 23242526272829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: Simple Bread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Simple Bread

We had some friends over for a mid-week meal…Mrs. RW made the pasta and what she refers to as her “Summer sauce” and I fermented the yeast. Dustin…you, Frank and Curt are getting some serious oven spring on those boules.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that a round Staub Dutch Oven in the first photo? And what's going on in the second?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    Is that a round Staub Dutch Oven in the first photo? And what's going on in the second?
    Le Creuset brand for the Dutch oven, and the "fissure" is just a result of the oven spring, as I didn't score the dough when I placed it in the oven. I use a 78% hydration mix, so after proofing, sometimes it's tough to have a firm enough surface to get a clean score with a lame or knife when I remove the dough from the banneton. I don't refrigerate the dough while proofing (13 hours or so), but you can, which can help firm things up a bit. Nature takes its path of least resistance and cracks the surface when the dough expands at 475F, and scoring the surface essentially directs the cracking, similar to cutting control joints in concrete.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Le Creuset brand for the Dutch oven, and the "fissure" is just a result of the oven spring, as I didn't score the dough when I placed it in the oven. I use a 78% hydration mix, so after proofing, sometimes it's tough to have a firm enough surface to get a clean score with a lame or knife when I remove the dough from the banneton. I don't refrigerate the dough while proofing (13 hours or so), but you can, which can help firm things up a bit. Nature takes its path of least resistance and cracks the surface when the dough expands at 475F, and scoring the surface essentially directs the cracking, similar to cutting control joints in concrete.
    Example. The dough will open perpendicular to the score (cut)

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of simple bread. I used a Ken Forkish overnight white recipe and made a basic 500g loaf in a dutch over in a campfire. Boo Yah.

The process is nearly the same as at home. Use an IR heat gun to detect when internal oven temps are close to 400F than have a friend lift the lid and toss the dough in. Rotate the pot every 10 mins. until you smell bread. Don't peek.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How large is your Dutch oven?

We have one we use for braising and inside-oven cooking, but it's oval and 8 qts. I guess i'll need a round one at 3.5 or 5 qt for bread baking?

Also not sure if my wife would condone another Dutch oven in the house, if its main use is baking vessel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3.5 quart (+/- 8.5" diameter on the bottom) unit and any old brand will do. I cut (2) 8" diameter sheets of parchment paper (baking paper if you're from the UK) and line the bottom as well, since 475F can burn the bottom of the boule if you're not careful. That size Dutch oven is good for a 1/2 kilo boule, as I use 1/2 the ingredients from Forkish's recipes, which focus on 1 kilo of flour as a base. (i.e. 500g of flour and 370-390g of water depending on the recipe in my case) I know what you mean about extra vessels in the kitchen, as my wife makes me store my bread gear in the garage with the bikes and the beer.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3.5 quart (+/- 8.5" diameter on the bottom) unit and any old brand will do. I cut (2) 8" diameter sheets of parchment paper (baking paper if you're from the UK) and line the bottom as well, since 475F can burn the bottom of the boule if you're not careful. That size Dutch oven is good for a 1/2 kilo boule, as I use 1/2 the ingredients from Forkish's recipes, which focus on 1 kilo of flour as a base. (i.e. 500g of flour and 370-390g of water depending on the recipe in my case) I know what you mean about extra vessels in the kitchen, as my wife makes me store my bread gear in the garage with the bikes and the beer.
    We are just getting started on the home baking front, so still much to learn. I think I might look for a straight up cast iron one, without enameling, though I certainly won't say no to a good Staub or Le Creuset.

Our first project is actually something you might be familiar with: the humble pepperoni roll commonly found in SW PA and Northern WV. As the useless extra cook in the kitchen, I suggested whole wheat flour, and the resulting dough is really dense. Back to the traditional recipe before we get fancy.

That said, I can't believe your bread gear, which helps to churn out so many loaves a months, gets relegated to the garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There’s a store across the river from me named Rolling Pepperoni. Funny you mention the PA/WV connection, as the owner is from WV and she based her business on her family recipe and her experiences as a kid in Appalachia.

https://www.rollingpepperoni.com/stories
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have one we use for braising and inside-oven cooking, but it's oval and 8 qts. I guess i'll need a round one at 3.5 or 5 qt for bread baking?

Also not sure if my wife would condone another Dutch oven in the house, if its main use is baking vessel.
    This modest 5qt job does double duty, the lid is also a pan. Perfect size for a loaf and it's already black!
    https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L8DD3-C..._dp&th=1&psc=1

RW is the man for details. His bread is the business.

At home I use a very ancient somewhat broken enameled cast iron Dutch Oven that is twice the size of the 5 qt lodge. That one is used to make large loafs and it has seen a fire pit or two.

I'd be hesitant to chuck a lovely Staub onto a fire pit but that's just my aesthetic and selfish desire to have "nice things" in the house ;)
    Last edited by Too Tall; 06-30-2023 at 07:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only thing I know is that if I ever win the lottery I’m buying the house next door to Mr. RW!

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    This modest 5qt job does double duty, the lid is also a pan. Perfect size for a loaf and it's already black!
    https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L8DD3-C..._dp&th=1&psc=1

RW is the man for details. His bread is the business.

At home I use a very ancient somewhat broken enameled cast iron Dutch Oven that is twice the size of the 5 qt lodge. That one is used to make large loafs and it has seen a fire pit or two.

I'd be hesitant to chuck a lovely Staub onto a fire pit but that's just my aesthetic and selfish desire to have "nice things" in the house ;)
    Given how I ruined the seasoning on my Lodge cast iron pan, I'm hesitant about getting another only to ruin the seasoning again.

In contrast, if I can score one of those well-used but still in good condition enameled Staub/ Le Creuset... Well, a man can day-dream :) My current 8-qt is good for a lot of things, but I figure I might need another one once we have hungry cubs to feed.

Of course, the next project I have in mind (actually not a bad one for Fourth of July) is to apply heavy elbow grease, scrape down all the little flecks and bits, apply hydroxide, and re-season. But I'm not sure if I can get it do the way I'd like to see it.

But if my re-seasoning project goes well, then yeah, def getting the Lodge Cast Iron Dutch oven. My wife in particular likes how one can place charcoal on the lid.

There’s a store across the river from me named Rolling Pepperoni. Funny you mention the PA/WV connection, as the owner is from WV and she based her business on her family recipe and her experiences as a kid in Appalachia.

https://www.rollingpepperoni.com/stories
    My wife attended Pitt for two years of grad school, and she often mentions the pepperoni roll. We were pleasantly surprised to see them offered at a bakery nearby.

Despite having lived in Morgantown for 2.5 years in my childhood, I wasn't actually aware of it until my wife mentioned it.

The bakery to which you provided a link is quite fancy. So many different options :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... and line the bottom as well, since 475F can burn the bottom of the boule if you're not careful....
    Recently discovered a cure for this! Put a pan or pizza stone on a rack below the rack your dutch oven sits on. It'll buffer the direct heat from the heating coils and you'll get a more even crust, even on the bottom.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife attended Pitt for two years of grad school…
    Tell your bride H2P for me…my wife and I are both PITT grads…sailorboy who’s on VSalon too was allowed on campus for his degree as well.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a local bake off coming up in a few weekends, I'm going to defend my title as The People's Choice. Tried two loaves this week, did the 'pizza rosa' inspired loaf again and tried a new one, sundried tomato and mozzarella. The mozzarella came from a ball of fresh mozzarella that I grated (which doesn't work well), and you can't taste it at all in the loaf, so I'm going to try something a little different next week.

That said, the sundried tomatoes were awesome. That's the loaf I'm gonna do, just need to tweak it a touch.

Rosa boule - pistachio, rosemary, red onion, parmesan.

And the sundried tomato & mozzarella

^^Will definitely be upping my sundried tomato amount, and doing a better job of mixing them in next time haha.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the bake off has come and went, and - I won! No one was more surprised than me.

Long story shorter - I mixed up some loaves on Tuesday as a final practice run, with the intention of baking them on Thursday and then adjusting the recipe as needed and mixing up the bake off loaves on Thursday. Then all the plans I was juggling (a trip out of town for work, a work deadline, a vacation, and the bake off) got grenaded by my kid getting sick and I stayed home with her on Wednesday and realized I wasn't going to be able to mix up another pair for the bake off. So, the Tuesday (day 1) loaves became the bake off loaves, and I baked them Sunday afternoon (day 6) right before heading to the contest. I called it Six Day Sourdough. Sundried tomatoes and manchego cheese in the bread, and I made a spread with goats cheese and chives and sauteed garlic (which was off the chain good).

I've never left dough in the fridge that long and wasn't sure what to expect when I took the lid off the first one in the oven. They were a over proved I think and didn't rise as much as I wanted, but they didn't pancake out either and the flavor was good and they looked okay. I was the only person who brought bread to the bake off, everyone else had cookies or cakes, most with beautiful and intricate decorations that all take far more skill than making bread. I genuinely didn't expect to win, but I was pretty stoked to get picked. The runner up is a full time baker who was on a contest on Food Network earlier this year.

In the car on the way home, while still in the parking lot, still in disbelief I said "I can't believe I won" and from the backseat my five year old said "why are we still talking about this?" It's good to have people around that keep you humble LOL.

PICS.

Last edited by dgaddis; 07-31-2023 at 08:36 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too many fresh vegetables lurking in the kitchen right now and they are crying out for bread.

rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dropping off some bread and pesto to a freind.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ken's one day Wonder bread in a pinch when you forget to mix the magic ingredients the night before.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What happens when you wake up in the middle of the night and can’t sleep and then when you get coffee in the morning you notice the bowl on the counter and remember that even though you haven’t baked in forever you somehow thought of whole wheat in the wee hours…

« If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel