Thread: Simple Bread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Simple Bread

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Right on. Bittman suffers no fools and I can confirm that even a lowland ape like me can make crusty goodness using that method.
    The real problem is not eating an entire loaf in one sitting.
    Whats wrong with that?! We always bake 'em two at a time, one to eat now and one for the next several days...
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couple reflections after a few months making my own bread.

The no knead recipe is good, and it's even better if you give it a 24-30 hour rise. If you're on the ball, this is as good of a way of baking bread as I've found.

The speedy version of the no knead recipe isn't as good. I can't seem to get it to rise as high.

I have yet to find a single rise recipe I like. Most are overly dense. I'm still looking, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do a No Knead variation with a single rise, sometimes it gets folded. If you're up for mad scientist experiments try it with your own starter.

Starter recipe:

Cut up an apple, throw it in with a slurry of flour & water.
    Let is sit a few days, stirring occasionally and maybe adding more flour.
    Eventually you'll get some little bubbles. Apple should be getting a little gross.
    Fish out the apple.
    Take a bit of starter, mix with malted barley flour, all purpose, salt. Mix that dry, then add water.
    Cover, let sit in a sunny spot and let nature take its course; a lot of trial and error involved. Consult Tartine bread book for specifics.
    Both No Knead and Tartine use the same dutch oven technique for moisture retention.

Some dough proofing right now...
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm looking for a good bread cookbook. I read the reviews of my bread, but based on reviews, it is not what I'm looking for. I'd like something that has some good info on doing pizza crust, sourdough, baguettes, and most importantly, high temp recipes cooked on a stone. I want to do some on the grill on the pizza stone. Getting the inside oven up over 500 is pushing the limits of its capabilities, but easy to accomplish on the grill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jim Lahey "My Bread". Worth the read. This is about as little effort as you can and still have crusty goodness.
    My Bread: The Revolutionary No-Work, No-Knead Method: Jim Lahey, Rick Flaste: 9780393066302: Amazon.com: Books

Best book I ever bought... my girlfriend. ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jitahs View Post
    I do a No Knead variation with a single rise, sometimes it gets folded. If you're up for mad scientist experiments try it with your own starter.

Starter recipe:

Eventually you'll get some little bubbles. Apple should be getting a little gross.
    Fish out the apple.
    Take a bit of starter, mix with malted barley flour, all purpose, salt. Mix that dry, then add water.
    Cover, let sit in a sunny spot and let nature take its course; a lot of trial and error involved. Consult Tartine bread book for specifics.
    Both No Knead and Tartine use the same dutch oven technique for moisture retention.

I just picked up some apples to give this as try. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    I'm looking for a good bread cookbook. I read the reviews of my bread, but based on reviews, it is not what I'm looking for. I'd like something that has some good info on doing pizza crust, sourdough, baguettes, and most importantly, high temp recipes cooked on a stone. I want to do some on the grill on the pizza stone. Getting the inside oven up over 500 is pushing the limits of its capabilities, but easy to accomplish on the grill.
    "Flour, water, Salt, Yeast" by Ken Forkish. Pizzaiola and baker out of Portland. it's not just a recipe book, but how to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

after a thread i started on Persimmons, i bought a book recommended called: Beard on Bread (which in itself sounds gross) by James Beard. I have baked about 10 of the recipes, and boy howdy, this shit is off the chain.. Simple enough, but damn good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maunahaole, start a thread on grilled pizzas and try to keep me away. That is my hobby! I am in the process of building a wood fired oven, but damn the grill is hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    Maunahaole, start a thread on grilled pizzas and try to keep me away. That is my hobby! I am in the process of building a wood fired oven, but damn the grill is hard to beat.
    We really want to hear about that oven bro. Someone start a pizza thread yo. FWIIW I almost went down that road with pre-cast oven parts from a MN supplier. The only thing that stopped me was the time required to heat the oven. I'm hoping my lifestyle will someday support having the time to sit around the oven and get smashed on homebrew. Someday maybe.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 12-09-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did a test run over the weekend on a flatbread cooked on the pizza stone. Pretty much used our pizza crust recipe, but no toppings while cooking. We did two tries - the second was at higher heat. Both had liberal doses of fresh pesto on top. Our basil is still going gangbusters. Both were good and hold promise. The stone is a good call, as it makes the bottom crust really crunchy, but not burned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found a really nice, quick single rise hamburger bun recipe last night and thought I'd share: 40-Minute Hamburger Buns Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes

Dinner:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I found a really nice, quick single rise hamburger bun recipe last night and thought I'd share: 40-Minute Hamburger Buns Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes

Dinner:

Caleb, did you really only let them rise for 10 minutes? Seems a little short for winter here. Look nice though. Probably have to give them a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

simple bread that has been working well: Irish soda bread.

3 1/2 cups AP flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cup buttermilk.

get the oven going FIRST to 450. once there, then you can start working the dough.

mill all dry. make a well for the buttermilk.

flour your pan

flour your work surface. on the heavy side.

add the 1 1/2 buttermilk and mix. it'll be an absolute mess, not doing what dough should do. use your finger tips to get it roughly assembled.

dump out onto heavily floured surface. then, turn back over onto the baking sheet with the heavily floured side up.

cut a cross into the top for the "angels share"

15 minutes at 450, then lower to 400 for another 20-30. let it rest. get out the good Irish butter, slather on, repeat.

note: do NOT over-work the dough. that'll make it tough.

added dried basil to loaf #1 on st patty's day. not as good as loaf #2, with nothing added.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dorman View Post
    Caleb, did you really only let them rise for 10 minutes? Seems a little short for winter here. Look nice though. Probably have to give them a try.
    Yup, followed the recipe exactly. There's a ton of yeast in the dough and it rises scary-fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone tried a bread with farro flour?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firing this thread back up as I dusted off the old bread maker over the holidays and I forgot how easy and fun it is to play baker, especially when the machine does the kneading. Any personal favorite recipes out there for a 1.5 pound loaf maker?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does anyone have a decent gluten free recipe? the wife is GFree and i've been wanting to attempt this.
    Ethan Yotter
    former wrench

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jim Lahey "My Bread". Worth the read. This is about as little effort as you can and still have crusty goodness.
    Lahey is my shit.

If we're going to be posting youtube vids of people making Lahey's recipe and links to a feature in NYT, might as well post a link straight to the source.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jitahs View Post

Starter recipe:

Fish out the apple.

If I ever stop by I'm leaving with a handful of starter.