User Tag List

Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple Bread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Simple Bread

Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    Since yeast or baking powder -not that flour is in good supply either!- has become very hard to find in London, had to make without.
    The yeast-free Soda bread is an interesting type of bread, and is terrific when you're short in time: no kneading, just mix as little as possible, no raising time but toss it in the oven right away.

This is a version with no buttermilk, but using soy milk and vinegar. It works wonders with the soda bicarbonate.
    And even better with one spoon of olive oil, a spoon of turmeric and some seeds.
    If you want this super-easy recipe, just ask

Those look like fun! Pumpkin poppy and sesame seeds on top?
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Room temp is now 71 degrees. Saturday White 72% hydration, 21g salt, 1tsp instant yeast.

It hit 3x in 6 hours, but it was over proved in 45 minutes... Hmmmm...

Look pretty on the outside and taste fabulous. The first one seemed a bit tender so I gave the second loaf and extra 4 minutes for crust development...

Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks real good Guy. Not overcooked fer sher.
    I'm scheming to bake over a campfire using our old Dutch Oven. I've baked pies before where the "oven" temps are bang on 400 to 425 F so I think this will work. LOL we shall see ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    Those look like fun! Pumpkin poppy and sesame seeds on top?
    Yeah, it's great when you don't have any yeast and are very short in time.
    Soda bread actually works better with the less you mix it, two minutes are more than enough and NO kneading unless you want to kill it.

This was done with turmeric powder and black pepper in the mix, plus some pumpkin and sunflower seeds I had kicking around. A spoon of olive oil is ok, too.
    And it also works very well with non dairy products: 210-220gr flour with a spoon of soda bicarbonate, 200gr of Soy milk with a spoon of white vinegar mixed in it (and let stand for a few minutes), mix, toss in a tin and 50-55 minutes in the oven Mk4.
    That's all, you have bread from raw ingredients to table in just over one hour.
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    Yeah, it's great when you don't have any yeast and are very short in time.
    Soda bread actually works better with the less you mix it, two minutes are more than enough and NO kneading unless you want to kill it.

This was done with turmeric powder and black pepper in the mix, plus some pumpkin and sunflower seeds I had kicking around. A spoon of olive oil is ok, too.
    And it also works very well with non dairy products: 210-220gr flour with a spoon of soda bicarbonate, 200gr of Soy milk with a spoon of white vinegar mixed in it (and let stand for a few minutes), mix, toss in a tin and 50-55 minutes in the oven Mk4.
    That's all, you have bread from raw ingredients to table in just over one hour.
    Thanks! But for those of us on this side of the pond, what does oven Mk4 translate to in degrees C/F?
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The google is my friend:
    Mk4 350 °F 180 °C
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to like pan breads just for slicing fun. This is a modified version of the Tartine 75% hydration, but 100% whole wheat (50% red fife and 50% appalachian white) off of a rye starter. Tasted amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sashae that's really nice looking bread. Offhand I'd say your yeast game is a 10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that a Pullman pan? Nicely done!
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More adventures in bread making... As the cold front approached the kitchen temp slowly descended from 69 to 67 degrees. Today i split the difference between the saturday white and the 75% whole wheat and did a 50% mix with 760g 90 degree water, 21g salt and 1tsp instant yeast.

This time I went straight 5 hours rise and 3 very gentle folds. After 50 minutes of proving the finger test showed only the slightest return... Oy...

475 degrees, 30 min covered and 13 minutes gave me a slightly burned base so I scaled it back a couple minutes uncovered for the second loaf.

Thin but tasty crust. Dense crumb with more depth of flavor than the pure white... But I'd really like to figure out how to to get more lift into these things...

The proving baskets are 9" and a newer 10" and the 10" loaf is still showing the extra flour settling into cover...

Ideas from the brain trust?
    Last edited by guido; 05-23-2020 at 08:22 PM.
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now for something completely different. A couple years ago I baked a perfect pecan pie over our campfire. It took one disaster figure out how to hit ~400F but once I got the coals/distance thing squared away it was off to the races.

Since every swinging (cough) male in America is baking bread I had to take it up a notch to supplant my weak brand ;) I'm kidding. Seriously, why not cook the same dutch oven bread we all are working well but do it over a campfire? Whatthehe!!

First thing was prep. a 500 gram loaf of bread the usual way using a 10 hrs. rise. Sitting the clear tupperware container in the sunshine and it hit almost 80F. Anywho, cut to the chase it was a smashing success.

The "secret" if there is any is to place the cast iron close to the coals but not on or touching the coals of a well developed fire (mostly coals). Without much adjusting this achieved a steady 360 to 400F internal (using a IR heat probe). I won't need the heat probe next time 'cause my method is SOP at this point.

The parchment paper was not necessary, call it a precaution. Cook time was 1.5 hrs. with the lid on the entire time. At about 40 mins. I peeked and saw a cloud of steam...eeek...don't peek next time! At 1 hr. and 10 I peeked again and saw nice crust forming so I pushed the pot closer to the coals (just barely touching) and finished it at 1 hrs. 30 mins. *note I did rotate the pot 180 every 15 mins. or so.

br1.jpg

br2.jpg

br3.jpg

br4.jpg
    Last edited by Too Tall; 05-24-2020 at 08:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ John Smith and Pochahontas would be proud!
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Friends that we haven’t seen since Christmas are coming over for a cookout this evening. Our kids are all the same ages and when they moved to CT 15 years ago or so, it was a bummer as we only were able to together over the holidays and beach vacations. They recently moved back after retirement and as their youngest daughter just virtually graduated from college and with no family in the area, we are proud to be surrogates this evening for a mini-celebration. Our youngest is home too so when the kids asked if Bob was making bread, I was much obliged to do so, ma’am. Overnight country white....paired with all day Rose...should be good.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is happening here! I thought this was a cycling forum! :D
    i_am_bread.jpg

I should really make some more... but my wife is pregnant and cannot stand the smell at the moment... I'll have to wait a couple of weeks and get back in the bread game ;)
    BetterShifting.com - Di2 help and guides

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TerryDi2C View Post
    What is happening here! I thought this was a cycling forum! :D
    i_am_bread.jpg

I should really make some more... but my wife is pregnant and cannot stand the smell at the moment... I'll have to wait a couple of weeks and get back in the bread game ;)
    Nice! What is in the bread to make it dark?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Nice! What is in the bread to make it dark?
    It's 50% dutch whole wheat / 50% dutch unbleached white flour and a rye starter, baked in... a dutch oven ;-}}.
    At first I thought all my breads were this dark, but then I looked at some photos from 2018 and those were considerably less dark... but back then I didn't buy flour at the mill, so maybe that helps ;)

(used to only bake bread during the winter months, but now that we're stuck at home anyway..)
    BetterShifting.com - Di2 help and guides

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TerryDi2C View Post
    It's 50% dutch whole wheat / 50% dutch unbleached white flour and a rye starter, baked in... a dutch oven ;-}}.
    At first I thought all my breads were this dark, but then I looked at some photos from 2018 and those were considerably less dark... but back then I didn't buy flour at the mill, so maybe that helps ;)

(used to only bake bread during the winter months, but now that we're stuck at home anyway..)
    Interesting. LOL well don't feel common, every idyl yahoo in America just learned to bake bread ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post

Friends that we haven’t seen since Christmas are coming over for a cookout this evening. Our kids are all the same ages and when they moved to CT 15 years ago or so, it was a bummer as we only were able to together over the holidays and beach vacations. They recently moved back after retirement and as their youngest daughter just virtually graduated from college and with no family in the area, we are proud to be surrogates this evening for a mini-celebration. Our youngest is home too so when the kids asked if Bob was making bread, I was much obliged to do so, ma’am. Overnight country white....paired with all day Rose...should be good.
    One day, if all the stars are in line, I will produce a loaf like this.

I will try again today.

Mike.
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mike...simplest KA recipe...if I can do it, so can anybody. The key is to let it proof in the fridge overnight after it rises 2 hours at room temperature...8-10 hours...and I bake it on the morning that we are having a dinner party. I also do 1-2 folds while in the fridge and I make 60% of the recipe so that it isn't crunched in my Dutch oven when I transfer it...nowhere to rise but up. It's my go to bread when we are having guests and there is never any left over.

No-Knead Crusty White Bread | King Arthur Flour
    Last edited by rwsaunders; 05-26-2020 at 12:52 PM.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydesteel View Post
    Is that a Pullman pan? Nicely done!
    It is. I'm doing a version of the Tartine recipe (though varying the flours) but prefer to bake it into a sandwich loaf. It's been a lot of fun, and the bread is /excellent/.

I broke my Kitchenaid over the weekend attempting to knead a double batch of Hokkaido milk bread, so sticking to hand kneading til I can find a replacement...