Thread: Simple Bread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Simple Bread

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    TT..now I'm jonesing for a cream cheese and green olives (with pimento) on rye sandwich. Try and slash that top before baking, as the rye in the gluten structure is most likely holding the "skin" back from opening up during expansion. You'll get those nice, dark curly q's on the crust.

How to Slash Dough - Video - Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day
    On it. Thanks.

Joe, I will paste the basic recipe below. Above was doubled and substituted 20% of the 00 flour for rye.
    Key for me is the "letter fold" >>
    Also this @ 10:24 shows how to finish the bottom of the dough ball. >>
    ========

No Knead Bread Recipe

3 cups (381 g) bread flour 
    [I usually use 488 grams and heaping volumes of yeast and salt]

1/4 teaspoon instant yeast (most often sold as bread machine yeast - don’t use quick yeast)
    1 teaspoon fine table salt (or 3/4 tablespoon kosher salt)
    up to 2 cups warm water (45 seconds in microwave)

optional - 60 grams shredded cheese or ¼ cup raisins

Dutch oven or covered pot - five-quart or larger cast iron, Pyrex, ceramic, enamel...for a 450⁰ oven.

1. Mix dough: The night before, whisk dry ingredients in a big bowl. Mix water in with a large spoon until the dough just comes together. If flour remains dry, add and mix water slowly just until all flour is absorbed. It will be a shaggy, doughy mess. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let sit 12-20 hours on countertop. [I use a rubber band to secure the plastic wrap.]

2. Shape & preheat: The dough will now be wet, sticky and bubbly. With wet hands, dump the dough on a lightly floured surface. (Others suggest an oiled surface.) Flatten dough with your wet hands until it’s roughly an inch high. Fold in half. If using raisins or cheese, flatten again, and sprinkle them onto dough. Roll like a jelly roll.

Plump into a ballish shape and place onto a roughly 12” by 15” piece of parchment paper. Cover dough loosely with the plastic wrap you removed a few minutes ago.

3. Rest: Let it nap for two hours. At the 90-minute mark, put your pot and lid into the oven and preheat to 450F.

4. Bake: Your dough should have doubled in size. Remove plastic wrap. (Optional: cut a ½”-deep slit 6 inches across top.) If using cheese, sprinkle a small handful across the top of the dough.

Leaving pot in oven, drop parchment paper and dough into pot. Cover. Bake 30 minutes. Uncover, bake another 15-20 minutes or until the crust is beautifully golden and middle of loaf is 210F. Remove and let cool 2 hours on wire rack.

If not eating right away, you can re-crisp crust in 350F oven for 10 minutes.

Mostly from No Knead Bread Recipe | Steamy Kitchen. No Knead Bread Recipe is adapted from Mark Bittman of NY Times who got it from Sullivan Street Bakery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ken Forkish Saturday Bread on Thursday the 75% Whole Wheat version...

Some days start as open clear horizons and end up total chaos. Once again the 5 hour rise grew to 7 hours even though I had the preferred yeast and kept it in the oven with the just the light on and a touch of supplemental heat to keep it over 70 degrees. Ok divided the dough put each half back in the oven with just light on for the first 30 minutes of the prove while I dashed out to run a couple of miles. I got back pulled them from the oven to start the 475 degree preheat of the dutch oven. I did the finger test to check how far along they are, and see that they are looking just about proven, oy 45 minutes to kill before putting them in the oven so of the the coldest room of the house to try to slow things down... Then my SO declares a hunger emergency and wants me to start the fritotta while the bread bakes. And I got a phone call from my brother in there too... So these bits took some of my attention from the bake, which over cooked the loaf in the same time in which the white version was perfect last week. Hmmm... Still damn tasty though...

So after the fritatta cooks, I put the dutch oven back in and preheat again. This time I baked for 10 fewer minutes, top was lighter, but the bottom was still a touch over done. I feared it would be well over proved but it rose nicely despite somewhat denser crumb.

So i need to figure out if my oven temperature is off or if the whole wheat is just cooking faster...

But overall I'm thrilled with this result. Great crust with a nice chew, crumb is light and delicate, really hard to believe it is 75% WW.

80% Hydration and 3/4 tsp instant yeast for the curious...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd definitely eat that, Guy.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good grief 80% hydration how did you get such a nice shape?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    My opinion with limited science to back me up...I really believe that the autolyse process helps make higher hydration dough easier to deal with...other please chime in. Forkish uses this method as well.

Autolyse – What, Why & How | Baking Recipes and Advice
    Last edited by rwsaunders; 04-24-2020 at 01:26 PM.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy,
    I’m with RW, that bread is lust worthy.
    Toots, listen to RW inre the aotolyse method made a huge difference when I tried it. Only anecdotal though!
    I’m back at it in the AM. Teach me about pumpernickel/rye.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See the reference RW provided... Just following Ken Forkish's recipe. Other than the rise times his advice has been spot on.

WW flour is really thirsty. It just sucked that water right up and after the 30 minute rest was really easy to handle with a wet hand. After adding the salt and yeast and the initial fold and three rounds of pincer cuts/folds to mix the dough, it was just like any other and not loose at all.
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My opinion with limited science to back me up...I really believe that the autolyse process helps make higher hydration dough easier to deal with...other please chime in. Forkish uses this method as well.

Autolyse – What, Why & How | Baking Recipes and Advice
    OK that is helpful. Soooo with that high hydration you did add yeast and salt than let it sit for an hr. or so. I can do that. As long as I'm stuck in the cabin, so to speak, no effort to large for the goal of wonderful bread. Taking a knee.

Ken Forkish book inbound. You guys are the devil.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 04-24-2020 at 07:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just flour and water for 30 minutes...this is the autolyse. Then mix the salt and yeast together after the autolyse...mix those two ingredients together in the dough as Guy had mentioned. Rest and fold after 10-15 minutes, rest and fold after and hour, one more fold at 90 minutes and rise for another +/- 3.5 hours, then shape and place in the banneton. This is from memory but follow Ken’s instructions and video. I’ll post some pics.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just flour and water for 30 minutes...this is the autolyse. Then mix the salt and yeast together after the autolyse...mix those two ingredients together in the dough as Guy had mentioned. Rest and fold after 10-15 minutes, rest and fold after and hour, one more fold at 90 minutes and rise for another +/- 3.5 hours, then shape and place in the banneton. This is from memory but follow Ken’s instructions and video. I’ll post some pics.
    Actually, the muscle memory Cliff Notes are going to be accurate most of the time. The book won't arrive for a while and I'm keen to try this. (GASP) We only have half that 1kilo loaf of Rye remaining.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, the muscle memory Cliff Notes are going to be accurate most of the time. The book won't arrive for a while and I'm keen to try this. (GASP) We only have half that 1kilo loaf of Rye remaining.
    Check your email as I sent the instructions for Ken’s Saturday 75% Whole Wheat bread.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check your email as I sent the instructions for Ken’s Saturday 75% Whole Wheat bread.
    Got it. All I need is a bag of W.W.! Thanks, this really helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same process, different ingredients and proportions. Which bread are you looking to make as I can send that specific recipe as well?
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

8B4CC187-7C46-4B5A-BA44-484F935AE84E.jpg

I followed RW’s instructions (should we call him Yoda?) and this was the result. I am in need of another Dutch oven (on order) and some proofing baskets. One loaf went to a neighbor who brought us fresh picked blueberries and farm to table corn on the cob. Waiting for things to cool down before slicing. If it looks good I’ll post again.

Toots, Ken’s method really works with the autolyse.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same process, different ingredients and proportions. Which bread are you looking to make as I can send that specific recipe as well?
    I've got endless 00 and about 400 grams of rye. Pretty basic I know. I'll shop for whole wheat Monday or Tue.

Mike, I'm on it. Tomorrow I'll crack on with another Rye using Ken's method. LOL I had a "duh" moment after watching those videos, thanks R.W. When I realized I really didn't have to make a mess of multiple bowls and surfaces ;) Sheesh.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 04-25-2020 at 07:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From site super to super baker...Mike Noble.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    8B4CC187-7C46-4B5A-BA44-484F935AE84E.jpg

I followed RW’s instructions (should we call him Yoda?) and this was the result. I am in need of another Dutch oven (on order) and some proofing baskets. One loaf went to a neighbor who brought us fresh picked blueberries and farm to table corn on the cob. Waiting for things to cool down before slicing. If it looks good I’ll post again.

Toots, Ken’s method really works with the autolyse.

Mike
    Beautiful loves Mike!
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yoda sent me some clues. Lacking Whole Wheat I'm going to wing it using Rye. Since the lightbulb went off in my badly wired brain, thanks to Yoda and his video links, I'm not using any recipe just proportions and a wee bit of absorbed knowledge. What could go wrong?

This is the first hr. of same day 80% hydration 1000g Rye. So far I'm really digging the process and keeping all the mess inside the container.

If this comes out well we will have fresh bread to make dinner sandwiches.

cookbread1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Learned a few things. Ken's techniques work and I'm catching up. Since I'm winging it, this bread will be more perfect next time. It was a bit under cooked (475F / 30 mins. covered, 475F 20 mins. uncovered). I'm thinking 80% was ambitious with Rye BUT IT ALMOST WORKED ;)
    Taste is amazing, I'm not unhappy.
    *Yep, forgot to score it again. **Yep, that is 1000g of flour.

br1.jpg

br2.jpg
    Last edited by Too Tall; 04-26-2020 at 06:34 PM.