Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple Bread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Simple Bread

Mike, I'm yeast challenged as well ;) Gettin' there though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    Report from the middle of Florida: I think I have a few things to correct. I’m not sure if I allowed the dough to rest long enough (12 hours) as it was really difficult to “fold” before putting it in the Dutch oven. I also think my Dutch oven was too large for the amount on dough as it didn’t rise as much as I expected and lastly, I didn’t leave it in the oven long enough as the dough inside was close to being done but could have used a extra ten minutes.

I will try again.

Mike
    Not a bad looking loaf! Great opening bid Mike!
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At 6’5” I am not vertically challenged but it seems my bread is. This is my second attempt of the NYT “no knead” bread. I let the dough rest for 16 hours and it seemed like it shrunk over might. It was never in a state that I could shape or “pick up” to put it in the Dutch oven. Wondering if the Dutch oven is too large, or is the dough supposed to bake away from the sides?

Crust was very good and center was full of gas holes.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At 6’5” I am not vertically challenged but it seems my bread is. This is my second attempt of the NYT “no knead” bread. I let the dough rest for 16 hours and it seemed like it shrunk over might. It was never in a state that I could shape or “pick up” to put it in the Dutch oven. Wondering if the Dutch oven is too large, or is the dough supposed to bake away from the sides?

Crust was very good and center was full of gas holes.

Mike
    Crust looks fantastic so you are not being too shy on baking time. Is that 16 hours in the fridge or on the counter? If it was the counter what temp do you keep the kitchen at?
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the counter. My wife loves a cold house and doesn’t see the electric bill! Temp is usually 73 to 76. Is this too warm?

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the counter. My wife loves a cold house and doesn’t see the electric bill! Temp is usually 73 to 76. Is this too warm?

Mike
    Well, based on what I have been reading, it sounds like at that temperature you are going past peak rise and loosing the lift/gas which is why it seems to be shrinking. It might be worth doing it when you can watch and see when it hit peak desired rise and bake it (or go to the next step) then... If that works better you have found your proper time. The recipes that use that much time all seem to be doing the rise in the fridge to keep it from going too fast and passing it's peak... As a reference point, the countertop 70 degree time for the recipe I'm working on seems to be 5 hours or so with another 1 hour proof.

I may be way off base here, I'm a beginner at this too. Just my 2c...
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another unqualifed WAG. How is your yeast game? I had a very similar result than bought new packs of Red Star and was back in business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just out of the oven. Mostly 00 flour + some rye. No knead 5 hr. rise, punch down/form, one hr. rest into a 450 dutch oven for 30 than lid off and a pan of water on the shelf. Couple things I tried were how to handle a pretty wet dough. I did not calculate the hydration however feels north of 65/70% (easy) so I folded and dusted until I had a good skin than move the dough onto parchment and a peel. Instead of making it upside down and smashing it into the dutch oven I was able to lower the dough using the parchment. That worked out real nice.

Gotta say, spectacular taste and result.

b1.jpgb2.jpgb3.jpgb4.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saturday Bread on Wednesday.

Did the FWSY method as described. Given the cold northern climate my rise was almost 7 hours to get to 3x. Proof took the normal 1 hour. Sloppy handling getting it out of the basket into the dutch oven gave it a slightly more kidney shape than desired.

Missed a shot at full rise... Next time...

50 minutes at 475 later:

Crust is amazingly good and the general flavor is awesome.

Thank you RW for recommending Ken's fantastic book!
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys are killing me. I’ve made a litany of mistakes, errors and just not following directions. Bought Bread Flour instead of APF because, well Bread flour. I read Dutch oven and thought “ I have one” (it’s a monster 8 quart), I read yeast and got dried instead of instant.

It’s time to go back and start over. I read parts of Ken’s book today so I’ve got a better idea of where to go now but I still have a few questions.

With dry yeast should I mix it in the warm water before adding to flour? I know amount changes. Ken says add water to flour first and then salt and yeast.

Can I use a smaller Pyrex glass casserole dish that has a cover?

My dough never seems to get to a consistency that I can shape, too much water? I use a scale.

My quest will continue.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mike...the autolyse phase that Ken talks about...mixing just water and flour and letting it rest for 30 minutes...really works. Then hand mixing in the salt and yeast, followed by 2-3 folds does the trick as well. The most difficult phase imho, is judging when the proof is finished and temperature (and patience) definitely plays a role here, as noted by Guy. I’ve found that if after shaping the dough ball and placing it in the banneton, that if it’s not proofed enough, it can be like jello when removing and hard to place in the Dutch oven. Sometimes an overnight proof in the refrigerator can do the trick in slowing things down and giving you time to relax. Too much yeast can extend the proofing time too and then the oven rise isn’t very good when the doughball is dumped in the oven. Ken’s finger test really works and I’ll add that I suck at being patient.

PS I want a slice of Guy’s bread.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mike -- I used active dry yeast for mine. I can't find instant anywhere. I just bumped the quantity from 1 to 1.25 tsp. and followed Ken's directions which may be a contributing factor to why mine took so long to get to target size. My SO who bakes more frequently suggests to hold back a bit of water from the autolyse to start the yeast in then mix that in before the salt. I may try that approach on the next one...

The big thing the dutch oven is doing is creating a supper hot sealed container to create and trap steam which is the magic for the crust. The glass container isn't going to do the voodoo... (runs the risk of shattering too which would mess up your day...)
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mike -- These guys have a wonderful reputation, have product and are shipping: Central Milling Home // Premium Flour & Grains for Professional Bakers

Shipping should keep FedEx profitable for the year but if the need is strong...
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These folks are local to me and they ship as well.

Organic Flours & Grass Fed Beef • Weatherbury Farm • SW of Pittsburgh
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now you guys tell me about these places to buy flour????

Guy, that bread. Oh my.

Here is my problem with the banneton. I'm not patient enough. If I can get this right you will hear the victory yell.

Regardless of my whinging here is my method >> Transferring bread dough | King Arthur Flour

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're still working on a limited capacity kitchen until our cooking/baking supplies arrive (someday?) here in OR. We did track down a fair chunk of flour from a local mill and had the foresight to dehydrate and vacuum seal our 9 year old sourdough culture and bring it over. Two weeks in and we've knocked out a couple of good loaves, plus started down the path of locally grown "ancient" grains - coming out of the oven in a few minutes is our first ever loaf with Khorasan wheat (aka Kamut). 60/40 WW/Kamut, ~75% hydration (using a 100% hydration starter desperately clinging to those Southern French yeasties), 16hr bulk ferment (overnight RT means 68F down to ~58F, we ain't running no central heat and the fire goes out at 22h00), 10hr fridge retard. 30min at 500F and 15min at 450, last 5 uncovered. Simple cooking over here but damn if it doesn't smell good.

Pics coming if it passes the sexy-cavitations test.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Octave Glad you made it to Oregon. It would be great to see photos of the new landscape/homestead as well, when you have time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post

Guy, that bread. Oh my.
    I just found it after talking to an old friend in the Bay Area.

I am digging through decades of rust on this stuff, so it's really nice it is coming back nicely. Next week the Saturday 75% Whole Wheat. Sooner than that and my SO will have my head...
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post

Guy, that bread. Oh my.

Here is my problem with the banneton. I'm not patient enough. If I can get this right you will hear the victory yell.

Regardless of my whinging here is my method >> Transferring bread dough | King Arthur Flour
    Banneton + a liner = easy peasy baby.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Banneton + a liner = easy peasy baby.
    I have not been using a liner. Will cheese cloth work? That I do have.