User Tag List

Thread: Say I were driving up to New Hampshire/Vermont for 4 days... (rides, hiking, etc...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Say I were driving up to New Hampshire/Vermont for 4 days... (rides, hiking, etc...)

Alright folks, I know nothing about northern New England but it is a long weekend and I can spend Friday to Monday up there. If there was one place you could go for a weekend of riding, where would it be? I'd realistically like to do one or two long rides.

Preference would probably go to stupid long climbs and nice scenery. Dirt roads are not necessary but I never get to ride them down here so bring it on (25mm friendly, please). I was thinking that I should tick Mt. Washington off the list. Is there something more appropriate?

The rest of the time will probably be spent eating and enjoying fresh air while moving as little as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Say I were driving up to New Hampshire/Vermont for 4 days... (rides, hiking, etc.

Ride some of the gaps in VT.

Midd/Brandon is a classic along with Lincoln/App Gap/Midd/Brandon, or get more dirt on Moretown/Roxbury.

Color should be kicking this upcoming weekend - although the weather is a bit iffy.

PM me if you make it up to Northern VT.
    Start slow, then taper off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Say I were driving up to New Hampshire/Vermont for 4 days... (rides, hiking, etc.

Hike Franconia Ridge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

base yourself near sugarbush or stowe and do the six gap ride. ~110 miles and 8000+ ft of climbing.

you could also stop in southern VT or northern MA on either end of the trip and ride some nice smaller, though still plenty steep pitches.

you can't ride mt washington but you could drive/hike it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aw man, I thought Mt. Washington was open barring crazy weather. Lame lame lame. I thought about the gaps and that may be the only sensible option. Anything with more elevation gain in one go? I might just give up on hills and park myself somewhere in coastal Maine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    base yourself near sugarbush or stowe and do the six gap ride. ~110 miles and 8000+ ft of climbing.
    Huh? Are you doing a shortened version? The "standard" route I believe is 132 miles and 15,000 ft., no? I rode it in July and it was 134 door to door given the extra mile from the house to Roxbury and back.

Lucasz ditto VT. Aside from the gaps, there are some pretty amazing roads littered about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nope, you're right, i underestimated:

6 gap ride in Warren, VT | cycling Map | MapMyRIDE

if you are extra epic (or get lost), the rapha version is apparently 143 miles:

Ride Description | Rapha

if you are tackling 6 gaps, my main piece of advice would be to start as early as you can, no later than 8:30. it's a looong day, especially if you have mechanicals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure six gaps is in my future this weekend, partially due to weather and partially because it would require more planning than I've done. For example, I think I need to take my CX bike rather than my road bike, and if I take my road bike I'd be riding tubulars. I bet I wouldn't flat but if I did that would suck the fun out of whatever amount of descending I'd have left.

Currently convincing the girlfriend to head toward coastal Maine because if I can't have a long steady climb I will at least have the ocean and possibly Cadillac mountain, which seems like the NE USA version of my favorite spot in France. And the weather there looks beter this weekend than VT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I stayed in Williston VT this summer and did a 2-gap ride - Lincoln and App gap. 70 miles round trip, two gaps, dirt roads (I rode 23 C tires).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All good suggestions. You might consider going to the Conway/Mt. Washington area where there are many many long rides with good climbs. You can;t ride up Mt. Washington, but you certainly can hike.

Some possibilities:
    Ones I've done
    FPBK White Mountain Century in North Woodstock, NH | cycling Map | MapMyRIDE
    Viewing Imported File Route (07/16/2012) | MapMyRIDE
    FCK Century in North Woodstock, NH | cycling Map | MapMyRIDE

From Hill Junkies Blog:Northeastcycling.com - White Mountains West Loop
    Northeastcycling.com - White Mountains West Loop

Hurricane Mountain Road is quite a challenge.

I am going up this weekend and doing 2 shortish road rides (56 and 35) but also going to Attitash and renting downhill bikes (first time for me).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The area around Wolfeboro NH is pretty nice. Mind you, it has been 30 years since I have been there. Nice rolling terrain on the north side on the big lake - which is close to Conway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobqzz View Post
    All good suggestions. You might consider going to the Conway/Mt. Washington area where there are many many long rides with good climbs. You can;t ride up Mt. Washington, but you certainly can hike.

Some possibilities:
    Ones I've done
    FPBK White Mountain Century in North Woodstock, NH | cycling Map | MapMyRIDE
    Viewing Imported File Route (07/16/2012) | MapMyRIDE
    FCK Century in North Woodstock, NH | cycling Map | MapMyRIDE

From Hill Junkies Blog:Northeastcycling.com - White Mountains West Loop
    Northeastcycling.com - White Mountains West Loop

Hurricane Mountain Road is quite a challenge.

I am going up this weekend and doing 2 shortish road rides (56 and 35) but also going to Attitash and renting downhill bikes (first time for me).
    Thanks man. This is great info! Getting me excited for the trip no matter where I end up.

I still wish I had my road bike available not my 47mm rake cross bike, arrrrgh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bumping this thread because I'm driving up to Vermont tonight.

Anyone have a route with a ton of dirt roads, ~100+ ft per mile of climbing and one or two gaps (preferences are in that order. If I don't hit any gaps but get dirt and climbing I'll be happy)? The plan is to camp, and the closer to Burlington a start the better. I know I'm talking as if only Southern Vermont exists. How's the riding northeast of Burlington?

So far I found this:

VT - Long Dirt Road Ride - A bike ride in Washington County, VT

Oh and good beer/coffee!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Lukasz,

I think you will be spoilt for choice with ride options. If you are camping near Burlington, driving all the way back to Warren for the Lincoln Gap seems like too much car time. I suggest you just stop by some local bike shops in Burlington and ask for some route recommendations. Local knowledge is always better. If you are camping in Mad River Valley area, by all means do the 6 Gap, 4 Gap or 2 Gap. Even a short day of Lincoln/App gap followed by some hiking on the long trail is a good day.

Douglas

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I'm sitting on top of upper notch road stealing WiFi trying to let my campmate know I forgot my pump. Lincoln gap next. This should be fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lincoln and Middlebury gaps, two dirt road climbs that were gap-like, and two road closures (one hike in lieu of a bridge). No flats. Who needs a pump? Thanks for the help, everyone.

I found some pretty deep mud here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if anyone else needs Vermont advice, here's my own contribution of two rides that I did mapped out. I was getting picked up places because that's how timing needed to work out but you could turn these into loops. Also if you need to start your rides in the afternoon because you got out of work and then drove for 5 hours until 3 AM to get up there these are good routes too.

camping to shaw's - A bike ride in Addison County, VT

National Forest and App Gap - A bike ride in Addison County, VT

I definitely found the dirt and elevation I was seeking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually the second map isn't completely accurate as I made a minor detour to Geary Rd N and then connected Orchard Rd and Robinson Rd off Lincoln Gap Rd with some minor trespassing and hunting trails to make life a little more interesting. I predict a few minutes of hike a bike if this is attempted on a roadie and/or it rains a lot before the ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very cool the way the Mad River trails and lifts show up on the second map. What type of tires did you use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had my 650b bike with Hetres. I'd ride everything but the hunting trail/Robinson Rd on 25s though. Those might be fine too if it is packed/dry. There is bit there that is not recognized as road by Google and will put you in someone's yard (between Orchard Rd S and N) that you will be walking with road tires though.

This part, fine on any tire:

This part, not so much:

And there was stuff like this too: