Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I have vinyl and speakers...need the other stuff

I have a pair of the excellent Polk Audio bookshelf speakers, and I have a nice collection of vinyl that I'd like to play. What do the audio guys out there like for bang-for-buck integrated amps & turntables that fit the tenor of the speakers?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I have vinyl and speakers...need the other stuff

The Music Hall and Rega turntables give good performance for the money. You can get into crazy coin for the upper end on turntables, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I second the Rega suggestion it's impressive how good they sound. As far as amps go NAD and Rotel pretty much own the inexpensive end of the audio spectrum. If you haven't checked out Audiogon.com yet it may give you some ideas what kind of gear is out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These guys know what they're talking about. Audiogon is a fantastic site. I've used it to build up my stereo. Don't forget that you'll need a phono stage in order to use the turntable.

Personally, I like a tube pre-amp/phono for the front end. Seems appropriate if you're playing records, no?

Edit: You could do worse: http://app.audiogon.com/listings/tur...4-analog-32609. Just remember, if you've got a suspended floor mount the sucker on a wall rack (use lag bolts into the studs).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're getting good advice here.

Rega makes a wonderful budget TT. NAD makes lovely budget integrated amps.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not the highest of high-end, but I use an Ion TTUSB10 that I love - in the end, having a simple 1/8" audio jack for speakers like yours and a USB-out in addition to your standard audio output will come in handy, especially when you decide you have something on vinyl that you'd like to listen to on your computer, mp3 player, phone..etc. The sound quality is good, the drive is reliable, and the cost is quite reasonable. Ion makes nice products, and they will give you software with them to ensure you can get your conversion on, should you want to.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    The Music Hall and Rega turntables give good performance for the money.
    ^^^Good call! Also, add Pro-Ject (distributed through Sumiko) to that list.

At least relative to the transducers (speakers & turntables/cartridges), electronics have so little impact on performance that nearly any reputible brand with a good warranty and sufficient power output will sound as good as it needs to. (How's that for a vague statement?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out Linn Audio. They have a fantastic turntable and at least 3 levels of receivers and amplifiers. Excellent equipment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Most people, even people who spend $5k on a bike, don't think of an $1,800 TT as affordable. It's a big step up in price from the lower-end Regas at $450-$900.
    I didn't realize they wer $1800 bucks now. They do sound sweet, though. Maybe look for a local used one -- unless abused, TT’s last forever. I didn't know Regas were as “cheap” as $450 either, which would suit me fine too. I like them.

My experience with vinyl is that unless you spend a fair amount on your kit, it sounds like crap -- with the cheap kit, the stuff that sucks about vinyl sucks more and the stuff that is sweet about vinyl just isn't there. There’s an inflection point where the sweet/crap ratio is high enough to justify vinyl. The Scout is slightly to the right of that point. The Regas I’ve heard are right on it.

But laying out a bunch of coin on hi fi gear can be kind of senseless. Owning the finest things rarely leads to satisfaction. Making them sometimes can, and there’s a sort of sly, progressive beauty to that.

Same thing when it comes to bikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JTC33 View Post
    Check out Linn Audio. They have a fantastic turntable and at least 3 levels of receivers and amplifiers. Excellent equipment.
    Linn is quality, no doubt, but I believe their TT is sprung. I've heard that getting the suspension properly set is something only wizards can accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by professerr View Post
    My experience with vinyl is that unless you spend a fair amount on your kit, it sounds like crap -- with the cheap kit, the stuff that sucks about vinyl sucks more and the stuff that is sweet about vinyl just isn't there. There’s an inflection point where the sweet/crap ratio is high enough to justify vinyl. The Scout is slightly to the right of that point. The Regas I’ve heard are right on it.
    Superb vinyl sound can be had for a smart shopper at about $500 bucks for a turntable and phono stage. My own introduction to analog sound began right around that price point. It was a profound experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by professerr View Post

But laying out a bunch of coin on hi fi gear can be kind of senseless. Owning the finest things rarely leads to satisfaction. Making them sometimes can, and there’s a sort of sly, progressive beauty to that.

Same thing when it comes to bikes.
    My "ah ha!" moment, the one that made me an audiophile, was with two turntables running through the same amps & speakers. One Thorens, one Technics, the same record back-to-back. The difference was night & day - it rocked my little world. Up to that moment I was in the "if the HiFi magazines can't measure it, it's inaudible" camp. After that I wouldn't trust anything but my ears.

And, yeah, I chased audio nirvana for a number of years, never happy with what I owned. And then, pretty abruptly, I was satisfied. Since then I've listened to music, not equipment. I'll still buy the occasional component (the Oppo BDP-93 is pretty damn nice) but then I forget about its inherent quality and get back to the music.
    GO!