Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have vinyl and speakers...need the other stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I have vinyl and speakers...need the other stuff

I have a pair of the excellent Polk Audio bookshelf speakers, and I have a nice collection of vinyl that I'd like to play. What do the audio guys out there like for bang-for-buck integrated amps & turntables that fit the tenor of the speakers?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I have vinyl and speakers...need the other stuff

The Music Hall and Rega turntables give good performance for the money. You can get into crazy coin for the upper end on turntables, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I second the Rega suggestion it's impressive how good they sound. As far as amps go NAD and Rotel pretty much own the inexpensive end of the audio spectrum. If you haven't checked out Audiogon.com yet it may give you some ideas what kind of gear is out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These guys know what they're talking about. Audiogon is a fantastic site. I've used it to build up my stereo. Don't forget that you'll need a phono stage in order to use the turntable.

Personally, I like a tube pre-amp/phono for the front end. Seems appropriate if you're playing records, no?

Edit: You could do worse: http://app.audiogon.com/listings/tur...4-analog-32609. Just remember, if you've got a suspended floor mount the sucker on a wall rack (use lag bolts into the studs).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're getting good advice here.

Rega makes a wonderful budget TT. NAD makes lovely budget integrated amps.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not the highest of high-end, but I use an Ion TTUSB10 that I love - in the end, having a simple 1/8" audio jack for speakers like yours and a USB-out in addition to your standard audio output will come in handy, especially when you decide you have something on vinyl that you'd like to listen to on your computer, mp3 player, phone..etc. The sound quality is good, the drive is reliable, and the cost is quite reasonable. Ion makes nice products, and they will give you software with them to ensure you can get your conversion on, should you want to.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Octave View Post
    Not the highest of high-end, but I use an Ion TTUSB10 that I love - in the end, having a simple 1/8" audio jack for speakers like yours and a USB-out in addition to your standard audio output will come in handy, especially when you decide you have something on vinyl that you'd like to listen to on your computer, mp3 player, phone..etc. The sound quality is good, the drive is reliable, and the cost is quite reasonable. Ion makes nice products, and they will give you software with them to ensure you can get your conversion on, should you want to.
    I'm going to try to control my inner audiophile geek on this one. In general, those USB turntables, or any super budget minded TT, will damage your records. Lack of the ability to dial in tracking weight, vertical tracking angle, lateral tracking angle, etc can put a very small, very hard, stylus tip into strange angles in your record's grooves. Oh, and those adjustments also allow for dialing in the best possible fidelity.

With all that said, if a USB TT gets you what you want (i.e. listening to your music on the go), and you aren't concerned with the condition of your records, then all the power to you. If you discover new music or enjoy old music you wouldn't otherwise listen to then its a fantastic purchase.

I take a usb sound card, hook it up to the tape out of my integrated amp, and record my records losslessly with audacity software (its free!). For the price of the above USB TT you can buy a sound card and record your music with superior source electronics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Britishbane View Post
    I'm going to try to control my inner audiophile geek on this one...<snip>
    What components would you recommend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jsrieck View Post
    What components would you recommend?
    With regards to your OP or sound cards from the post you quoted?

If the former, follow the suggestions above. And for more detail:

Turntables from: Rega, Music Hall, VPI (lower end), or even KAB modified Technics 1200's are all great values. The Rega in my previous post even comes with a killer Denon cart (assuming its in good condition). Kinda like picking up a used Felt CX bike from last year and the guy/gal has sweet, but reasonable, DuraAce/Reflex/FMB wheels on it. BONUS! But, and we're getting really techy here, its a low output moving magnet cart-make sure your phono can handle it.

Separate/Integrated Amps from: NAD, Rotel, Jolida if you like tubes (made in china, akin to carbon bikes), or Bryston on the opposite end of the tube spectrum. If I were starting again I'd jump on the Unico posted above. WANT.

All the above suggestions are assuming you want quality, but not super spendy (for audio components - its relative).

Edit: If you want an all in one solution, make sure your integrated amp has a phono stage/board for your turntable. Phono carts have very low level output and cannot be run straight into your preamp without extra processing. You can always add on a separate though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd second the view above on VPI tables. The Scout Model is all you'll ever need. Not cheap, and not as cheap as the cheapest Rega (which I like too), but in the sweet spot right before you start becoming a weird audiophile dude. It can be hard to find amps with built in phono stages, so I'll recommend the EAR 824P phono stage. No longer made, these show up on Audiogon.com all the time. Used should be fine -- probably worst case is you'll need to replace the (inexpensive) tubes. You'll need a cartridge too, so I'll throw out the Shelter brand as good bang for buck at the lower end.

I'd add to mix of suggestions Musical Fidelity products. I've heard fancier stuff, but bang for buck is very good. Used amps are an excellent way to go, btw. Audiogon is your friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I kinda agree with the above although nothing wrong with silicon.

Get a new TT or preloved.

Used amp will be fine. Something with output protection is a safe bet if it's been done properly.

Lots of older amps have an MC/MM phono stage. Most of the MM's were good enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking of all things audio is fun, havent done this in a while.

HEJ is right, silicon is just fine. Naim Nait is a fracking nice integrated amp: Naim Audio Nait 5i Integrated Amp | Solid state | New York, New York 10028 | AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bo' Selecta!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bryston B60 + MM phono section (well made in canada eh!)

Pro-ject Debut TT with ortofon 2m cart

Kimber PBJ / tonik

enjoy

** For a lot less money than the Bryston one of the NAD integrateds or frankly a stereo receiver (e.g. two channels) like the H/K 3390 will sound pretty darn good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One more thing if you're going to spend any money on your system please get a decent pair of speaker stands. Relative to the money you can spend on an amp or table they're cheap and you'll be amazed how much better music sounds when loudspeakers aren't flopping around on milk crates or a shelf. So many tasty components have been recommended on this thread ie. Bryston and Naim that my trigger finger has gotten itchy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Britishbane View Post
    I'm going to try to control my inner audiophile geek on this one. In general, those USB turntables, or any super budget minded TT, will damage your records. Lack of the ability to dial in tracking weight, vertical tracking angle, lateral tracking angle, etc can put a very small, very hard, stylus tip into strange angles in your record's grooves. Oh, and those adjustments also allow for dialing in the best possible fidelity.

With all that said, if a USB TT gets you what you want (i.e. listening to your music on the go), and you aren't concerned with the condition of your records, then all the power to you. If you discover new music or enjoy old music you wouldn't otherwise listen to then its a fantastic purchase.

I take a usb sound card, hook it up to the tape out of my integrated amp, and record my records losslessly with audacity software (its free!). For the price of the above USB TT you can buy a sound card and record your music with superior source electronics.
    I cannot speak for the whole range of those products, but I bought a USB table a couple of years ago thinking that it would be great to digitize some of my old vinyl for portable listening, even if the table wasn't great. I had no sense at all how bad the thing could be. After a couple of days I returned it. Pain in the butt to get anything useful out of it and I was really concerned about my records.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by professerr View Post
    I'd second the view above on VPI tables. The Scout Model is all you'll ever need. Not cheap, and not as cheap as the cheapest Rega (which I like too), but in the sweet spot right before you start becoming a weird audiophile dude...
    Most people, even people who spend $5k on a bike, don't think of an $1,800 TT as affordable. It's a big step up in price from the lower-end Regas at $450-$900.

That said... A number of years ago I replaced my "new" AR turntable with a VPI HW-19 (which I think was their cheapest model at the time.) I expected to hear some subtle differences. I hooked it up, dropped the tonearm onto the record and wandered into the next room to fetch something. The music began and I froze dead in my tracks. It was as if a hazy, vague image in front of me - an image I had always thought was clear & firm - had snapped, sharply and perfectly, into focus. And this was from the next room! It was a magnificent moment.

A good turntable is worth it.

Oh, and get a Grado cartridge if you're not buying a 'packaged' TT. Made in Brooklyn since, like, forever.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how much money you wanna spend?

i sold my (kinda) expensive tube amp and preamp...just started using an old marantz 2220B i got off craigslist for $75
    i'm happy with it, i also have a real nice tube phono preamp though...and nice table and nice cartridge.
    for me the huge upgrade was the nice phono preamp.

i'd just look for a used turntable, maybe a technics 1200 or something.
    the AR's seem nice as do some of the older thorens and denon table...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    The Music Hall and Rega turntables give good performance for the money.
    ^^^Good call! Also, add Pro-Ject (distributed through Sumiko) to that list.

At least relative to the transducers (speakers & turntables/cartridges), electronics have so little impact on performance that nearly any reputible brand with a good warranty and sufficient power output will sound as good as it needs to. (How's that for a vague statement?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out Linn Audio. They have a fantastic turntable and at least 3 levels of receivers and amplifiers. Excellent equipment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast