Thread: I have vinyl and speakers...need the other stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I have vinyl and speakers...need the other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Most people, even people who spend $5k on a bike, don't think of an $1,800 TT as affordable. It's a big step up in price from the lower-end Regas at $450-$900.
    I didn't realize they wer $1800 bucks now. They do sound sweet, though. Maybe look for a local used one -- unless abused, TT’s last forever. I didn't know Regas were as “cheap” as $450 either, which would suit me fine too. I like them.

My experience with vinyl is that unless you spend a fair amount on your kit, it sounds like crap -- with the cheap kit, the stuff that sucks about vinyl sucks more and the stuff that is sweet about vinyl just isn't there. There’s an inflection point where the sweet/crap ratio is high enough to justify vinyl. The Scout is slightly to the right of that point. The Regas I’ve heard are right on it.

But laying out a bunch of coin on hi fi gear can be kind of senseless. Owning the finest things rarely leads to satisfaction. Making them sometimes can, and there’s a sort of sly, progressive beauty to that.

Same thing when it comes to bikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JTC33 View Post
    Check out Linn Audio. They have a fantastic turntable and at least 3 levels of receivers and amplifiers. Excellent equipment.
    Linn is quality, no doubt, but I believe their TT is sprung. I've heard that getting the suspension properly set is something only wizards can accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by professerr View Post
    My experience with vinyl is that unless you spend a fair amount on your kit, it sounds like crap -- with the cheap kit, the stuff that sucks about vinyl sucks more and the stuff that is sweet about vinyl just isn't there. There’s an inflection point where the sweet/crap ratio is high enough to justify vinyl. The Scout is slightly to the right of that point. The Regas I’ve heard are right on it.
    Superb vinyl sound can be had for a smart shopper at about $500 bucks for a turntable and phono stage. My own introduction to analog sound began right around that price point. It was a profound experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by professerr View Post

But laying out a bunch of coin on hi fi gear can be kind of senseless. Owning the finest things rarely leads to satisfaction. Making them sometimes can, and there’s a sort of sly, progressive beauty to that.

Same thing when it comes to bikes.
    My "ah ha!" moment, the one that made me an audiophile, was with two turntables running through the same amps & speakers. One Thorens, one Technics, the same record back-to-back. The difference was night & day - it rocked my little world. Up to that moment I was in the "if the HiFi magazines can't measure it, it's inaudible" camp. After that I wouldn't trust anything but my ears.

And, yeah, I chased audio nirvana for a number of years, never happy with what I owned. And then, pretty abruptly, I was satisfied. Since then I've listened to music, not equipment. I'll still buy the occasional component (the Oppo BDP-93 is pretty damn nice) but then I forget about its inherent quality and get back to the music.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Britishbane View Post
    Superb vinyl sound can be had for a smart shopper at about $500 bucks for a turntable and phono stage.
    I'm sure the OP would like you to name names, and I'm curious too. I sold most of my stuff when I moved out the the country years ago. Now I have a modest digital only set up and for whatever reason, I'm less drawn to listen than when I had an analog set up. I kept the 824P phono stage, though, so it would be great to be clued in to a cheap nice sounding TT. You know, sort of the Surly Pacer of TTs (though hopefully less in absolute $$).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Since then I've listened to music, not equipment.

This.

Once you hit a certain point of goodness, you start asking questions in the realm of: Can I really hear that? Do I care? Do this plug type actually matter?

Put me in the Audio Cheapskate category. Which I think is a pretty cool bin to be in. Current system: B60 + Rega Planet + Phast EST speakers. There is better. There is LOTs better. But to get there would require a bunch more money. I'd rather buy music and concert tickets.

Mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12