User Tag List

Page 35 of 59 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: 44 Bikes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Yep, another week, another dose of...

SICK 6 SATURDAYS

And No. 6 : This pile of tubes is one of the big reasons why I am not at NAHBS : To Be Continued

Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Yep, another week, another dose of...

This has me intrigued......

"Even my farts smell like steel!" - Diel

"Make something with your hands. Not with your money." - Dario

Sean Doyle

www.devlincc.com

https://www.instagram.com/devlincustomcycles/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139142779@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Yep, another week, another dose of...

Ti?....
    Bill Fernance
    Bicycle Shop Owner
    Part Time Framebuilder
    Bicycle Tragic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Huntsman Taking Shape

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Yep...

SICK 6 SATURDAYS

There's that pile again...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Like so...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default WHY Taper Matters

This recent discussion had me thinking about my own opinion and reasons for the switch from O.S. threads steerers (1.125" / 28.6mm) to tapered 1.5" / 44mm steerers and the accompanying 44mm head tube standard. It's FAR from just being that the numbers match. IMO: Tapered steerers are perhaps one of the single most important new standards to come to the modern mountain bike, and the modern CUSTOM mountain bike for that matter, in a long, long time. This standard is one of those rare occasions that no we didn't ask for it, but god damn is it a much needed improvement for improved handling in tech and aggressive mountain biking.

Here's my thoughts via the 44HQ Blog.

That's WHY Taper Matters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: WHY Taper Matters

Quote Originally Posted by fortyfour View Post
    This recent discussion had me thinking about my own opinion and reasons for the switch from O.S. threads steerers (1.125" / 28.6mm) to tapered 1.5" / 44mm steerers and the accompanying 44mm head tube standard. It's FAR from just being that the numbers match. IMO: Tapered steerers are perhaps one of the single most important new standards to come to the modern mountain bike, and the modern CUSTOM mountain bike for that matter, in a long, long time. This standard is one of those rare occasions that no we didn't ask for it, but god damn is it a much needed improvement for improved handling in tech and aggressive mountain biking.

Here's my thoughts via the 44HQ Blog.

That's WHY Taper Matters.

KH- thank you so much for the follow up email/PM (you rock!)...I love your insight and I agree that the OS standard makes a difference...and I think it looks better.
    What I am making now:7 sugars.
    Instagram: 7 sugars.

"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination.... Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic."
    — Jim Jarmusch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default It's like this...

...till the next episode.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: It's like this...

Hi Kris,

What is you take on the new tapered head tubes being used by some. Head tubes that go from 34mm ID For a standard external 1 1/8" headset top cup an tapering out to 44mm ID for an external 1.5" headset, kind of a slim line tapered head tube. Would you think this would offer the same benefits as the straight 44mm head tubes running semi integrated headset top cups?

There is a picture of it on this site which may help better explain my poor description. the Product of COTIC cycles : Soul 26
    Russell Macnamara
    Aberdeen, Scotland.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: It's like this...

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Mac View Post
    Hi Kris,

What is you take on the new tapered head tubes being used by some. Head tubes that go from 34mm ID For a standard external 1 1/8" headset top cup an tapering out to 44mm ID for an external 1.5" headset, kind of a slim line tapered head tube. Would you think this would offer the same benefits as the straight 44mm head tubes running semi integrated headset top cups?

There is a picture of it on this site which may help better explain my poor description. the Product of COTIC cycles : Soul 26
    I actually prefer the looks and function of a matching top/bottom O.D. for the head tube. That bell shape does not appeal to me visually, in addition to having to do extra leg work to the miter if that bell shape has some curves to it. And I don't care how much anyone says that it's 5 minutes with a file. That's extra work when a straight up cope / miter with a precision hole saw gets you on point in one shot. Functionally, you're adding some stack to the upper assembly since it cannot be internal (internal where there is still a cup, not one that is integrated - that's not approved by me either). IMO: That is creating a solution that a simple straight tube solves. I might add that Paragon's head tubes or ones similar integrate really smoothly with both Cane Creek's 44IC/EC offerings and Chris King's I7 headsets. The transition of that upper assembly is really nicely done when mated to a Paragon head tube in steel or titanium.

If we're talking weight, then yes, a drawn or swaged part that is bell shaped will win that battle perhaps. But honestly, I see no functional need other than to save weight. I'm running 1.375" O.D. TT's and 1.5" O.D. DT's on most of my mountain bikes. They match nicely and create a pretty stiff/resilient structure with Paragon's 44mm head tubes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Let's roll up our sleeves for...

SICK 6 SATURDAYS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Made in NH

I've been attempting to get my top mount decal art sorted. The one piece that had me a bit stumped was the "Made in NH" art. I've been working on and off for a few months now when inspiration hits me, but this one seemed to be evading me for some reason. Nothing felt right. A good majority of the time, when I create graphics like this I have good direction, inspiration and things come together. For whatever reason, things were just not clicking for me on such a simple piece (and maybe that was the problem?). But like all things I do, it has to have meaning. Nothing I do can't for some reason, and perhaps that is my attention to detail oriented personality. Here's two finalists I've sat on over the weekend:

I was working on this again this past week, again getting no where fast when it occurred to me the parallels between artifacts and bicycles. Both are tools, purpose built with specific intention. Where I grew up, if you know where to look, Native American artifacts abound. I was lucky enough to have a father who at a young age, took an interest in all this and began arrowhead hunting in the fields surrounding his house. This habit of his carried through to adulthood and as a kid, he would take me out to specific sites/farmers fields to hunt arrowheads. He taught me about the materials used, what to look for in a potential site, where in the site to look, and "how" to look. One of my first points I found was the Perkiomen Broad Point, a specific piece to my region where I grew up that has a distinctive shape. Those in the know, it's kind of a right of passage to find one I think. So thinking on this, I had some direction. I know my home is in New Hampshire now, but I can't help but think about where my heart will always remain and that's outside in those fields and woods of the Upper Perkiomen Valley. I have fond memories of exploring those hills just outside of town both with my Father, his best friend Marshall and later on my own as a young teen either by myself or with my best buddy. So that's what this little piece is all about. Made in NH. But the "X" marks the spot where my heart is. The arrowhead / artifact at the bottom is a nod to where my heart is but also to all those times exploring which now ties into the creation of bicycles as tools. That's the story and once printed, these will adorn each frame at the base of the down tube just above the bottom bracket. Kind of the heart of the bike, so a fitting location for this little simple graphic:

Here is the finalized top mount decal art. These will be printed in Black, White, metallic Silver, Metallic Gold, a pantone match to Chris King anodized blue, red and perhaps green...:

For the record, here is the Perkiomen Broad Point in question. It measures 10cm in length and a touch over 7.5cm in diameter. I believe this one is jasper although it does not bear resemblance to other jasper points I have, but none the less I think that is the material based on other points from my fathers massive collection. You can see how the very tip has been knocked off. This was a field find just above where the old Perkiomen stream bed would have traced, on a rise. Kind of an ideal spot actually and little wonder why it was chosen. If I have my dates correct, this is approximately 4000-5000 BP. It's old however you spin it. And what stories it could tell...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Made in NH

The arrowhead kills!
    I like the Est. 08 myslef, it might be a bit taller, but it ties in the X for me.
    I would like to see no slant too. I see where it provides some movement and interest- ala flag unfurling action, but how does it work on a tube though?
    Hinmaton Hisler

Making like it's going out of style __________________________________________________ ___________________________ SMOKED OUT

Stijl Cycles
    LocoMachine
    Tektonics Design Group
    Fern & Roby

LocoMachine
    Stijl Cycles
    Tektonics
    Fern & Roby

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stijl Cycles View Post
    The arrowhead kills!
    Thank you.

I like the Est. 08 myslef, it might be a bit taller, but it ties in the X for me.
    I actually agree with you, but upon reflection, I haven't been around long enough to warrant the history of an "EST." moniker. Maybe at 20 or 25 years I'll update the art. But for now, the X is akin to "X Marks the Spot" with a little nod to the Straight Edge movement of the 90's too.

I would like to see no slant too. I see where it provides some movement and interest- ala flag unfurling action, but how does it work on a tube though?
    I tried this, it looks good but had too much of a blocky feel visually. The slant calms down a bit when wrapped depending on the Tube O.D. which was a conscious decision to add a little movement and rise to the letter forms. Here is the finished graphic larger:

I had SO many completely different versions though. Some simple, most complicated or just had too much information. Letting it sit for a while and settling on something simple seemed to be best. Heck, at the last minute I may add something. But for the foreseeable future until they go off to print, that is the finalized graphic to be paired up with the DT graphic. I may create a "Made to Shred" motto for the inside of the chain stays too. I have that letterform all worked out...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fortyfour View Post

I actually agree with you, but upon reflection, I haven't been around long enough to warrant the history of an "EST." moniker. Maybe at 20 or 25 years I'll update the art. But for now, the X is akin to "X Marks the Spot" with a little nod to the Straight Edge movement of the 90's too.
    I don't see anything wrong with including an established date at this point. If it was last year, maybe not, but 7 years in, I think you've earned it.

I like the logo either way, but I prefer it with the date.

Just my two cents. I'll be happy to have either on my new bike!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default YO!

SICK 6 SATURDAYS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Now THIS is Fat Fools...

The HOT New Sh!t

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Now THIS is Fat Fools...

Needs ape hangers, then it would be pretty sweet.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Now THIS is Fat Fools...

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Needs ape hangers, then it would be pretty sweet.
    NAH. These are stock ENVE Sweeps that have been cut down to 12". To get between tight trees, you know? *WINK