User Tag List

Page 17 of 59 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: 44 Bikes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Ok... One more to keep us all warm at night.

Absolutely Beautiful! Well played sir!
    Toby Gallagher
    Toad Custom Cycles
    West Berkshire, UK
    Instagram - Twitter - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very impressive Kris. Love the paint and permanent logos.

Quick question re: the levers. Are these hydro levers with mech discs? Are there differences in hydro vs mech levers on the new sram 22 kit?

I seem to remember reading somewhere about a flat bar in the original spec request. If so, what happened with this?

Keep it coming with the good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fortyfour View Post
    In the future, when the empire is over and the citadels are in flames, we will all ride bikes like this.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nelo784 View Post

Quick question re: the levers. Are these hydro levers with mech discs? Are there differences in hydro vs mech levers on the new sram 22 kit?

I seem to remember reading somewhere about a flat bar in the original spec request. If so, what happened with this?

Keep it coming with the good stuff.
    My recollection is that we changed some specs once I could no longer keep it (the order) a surprise. I thought TLD would like a modern version of what she had. When I revealed the secret, she said she'd rather have a bicycle more like her RS that we sold after she had shoulder surgery some 8 years ago. We're both excited seeing the pics that have been circulating atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy smokes Kris, that thing is a 12 out of 10! Modern elegance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That fukcer might even fit me in a pinch atmo.
    Yes!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    That fukcer might even fit me in a pinch atmo.
    Yes!
    Mr. Sachs reveals his true motives...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Britishbane View Post
    Mr. Sachs reveals his true motives...
    Men with two first names are hot atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    I thought TLD would like a modern version of what she had.
    That's funny, because when I saw this bike (which I love), I thought, "Wait, I thought he was building a 4tl4ntis?" and this looked a lot sportier than that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well done man. That is a perfect machine. Will be a fun bike for damn sure.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.

- John Muir

The name is Guy Fazzio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thanks for the kind words. I worked with Jay at Circle A Cycles on the paint work. I gave him a drawing, we spoke via phone about what I was looking for but I gave him creative license to work his eye on balancing everything out which he appreciated. I'm particular but also like to give other's that freedom so they can make decisions that "feel" right to them. Love how everything turned out and I'll be sending them more work when it comes through my doors.

Regarding the disc brakes: Road levers vs mountain bike levers have different pull ratios to my knowledge (Cable actuated mechanical disc brakes - same thing goes for canti's vs "V" brakes). I spec'd Avid's Road SL mech's for this build which are compatible with Sram's Force 22 levers (non-hydro). They don't have quite the modulation of hydro's but they work well (IMO). You can adjust the pad's independently to each other however only the exterior facing pad is the one that gets pulled when applying the brakes. TRP's Spyer's pull both pads at the same time, but I felt as though they were a bit clunky for my taste. Road hydro's are not quite there yet, and for ease of maintenance and setup, Avid's cable actuated offerings are a decent choice. I do not know if the lever itself regarding the shape is the same or different from the cable actuated Force 22 vs the Hydro Force 22. I'm going to assume it is the same, but I might be wrong.

Regarding the original request vs what was built: The original email turned into a phone call in 5 minutes. Literally. I just happened to be in the studio and Richard called when I responded to his email. So we got down to business quickly talking about the spec and build he wanted to outfit Deb. Originally it was requested a flat bar type setup. Kind of a "commuter" style setup was what I was hearing. Originally, I was thinking about a smaller diamond frame with 1.8 or 1.9 29er tires, kind of built like a mountain bike, but rigid and really tight looking so no suspension correction etc. But since she is smaller, and was running 26" wheels, I was hesitant to move towards that big of a wheel (every millimeter counts) for that setup, and was mentally starting to head in the 650b realm - but choices in terms of tires/wheels are more mountain oriented from my knowledge, so it would have ended up being way more bike than she really required. What really changed the conversation was when I asked him HOW he perceived Deb using her bike - this is when I felt she should be included in the conversation. Once the shroud of secrecy was lifted and Deb was in on the conversation (which was good since it was going to be her bike), I realized they were looking for a "road" bike - and I put road in quotes on purpose. It's not in the traditional sense of the word where racing bicycle comes to mind. But one with versatility in mind. All seasons. All conditions. A "Do Everything Bicycle". That's what a 44 Bikes Huntsman is all about - Richard definitely called the right guy IMO.

The "road" bikes I've been building to date which I've dubbed "The Huntsman" fit this bill to the last letter. In first creating that bike, I was always never quite satisfied with what traditional road bikes had to offer. I'm primarily a mountain biker, and enjoy my fair share of dirt and 6th class roads. I rarely hit pavement as there is just so many dirt road networks here in NH. I needed a mountain bikers road bike and that is just what I built for myself a few years ago. Clients have seemed to gravitate to that versatility that this bike offers. It can take skinnies, but if you want to run larger tires, no problem. Tapered head tube. O.S. tubing. Carbon fork to smooth out the chatter / tapered steerer to stiffen the front end under heavy braking so you stay in control of the wheel. Disc brakes, 135mm rear spacing. 11spd double. That's where this build headed once Deb announced she really wanted a bike to replace her crashed R.S. And to balance all that, I also had to think about what Richard was asking for too. Fun project to say the least and Richard was a joy to work with. He definitely "Get's it". And I'm very honored that Richard put his full trust in my capabilities and thoughts considering he is committed to 1" steerers, builds with lugs AND pins them to boot. So breaking from that perceived mold I'm sure took a big leap and I'm very much honored he put his trust in me to see that work come to fruition.

Very excited to get this bike to them. A few more glory pics and we'll be done.
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

While we are on the subject of versatility, here's an earlier build some may recall that really fits this question of "Do Everything Bike" quite well. This was an order for a client in D.C. who wanted a bike that was easily converted from a commuter dropbar setup, with rack, room for fenders into a fast sporty road bike and if the bug should bite, cross beast. Client specifically wanted a 1x setup, but this same bike could have easily been built with a front derailleur. I removed the shifter pod from the left lever to make things really clean looking.

Time to make the donuts Commuter Mode :

It's hot out so I need to bring a change of clothes for work and pick up groceries after Haul Mode (with and without custom bag):

My buddy called, let's go for a group ride mode:

It's cross season ATMODE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A "Do Everything Bicycle". That's what a 44 Bikes Huntsman is all about - Richard definitely called the right guy IMO.
    Er - a 44 Bikes Huntswoman atmo...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kris, I've seen you using a couple of different rear disc dropouts. Do you prefer the threaded direct mount style or do you like the "traditional" threaded IS mounts that require an adapter on the brake caliper? What drives you to choose one or the other?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I crazy or was there a rack for the DEB at some point? Or was that another bike being built around the same time? I haven't had a chance to check out the process booklet yet, but will when I have some time!
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    Kris, I've seen you using a couple of different rear disc dropouts. Do you prefer the threaded direct mount style or do you like the "traditional" threaded IS mounts that require an adapter on the brake caliper? What drives you to choose one or the other?
    For all intense purposes, for a steel bicycle using a rear disc brake, the traditional ISO mount is still the lightest, most cost efficient "it's not broken" solution. Post mount does indeed remove the need for an adapter, but that's if you build it starting at 160mm. If you build it at 160, and then the client chooses to run something bigger like a 180, you still need to run an adapter. I built my own personal Huntsman with a post mount setup just to see what it would be like building with that standard and the part I used was considerably heavier than it's ISO counter part (both Paragon Machine Works parts btw). I also found working with the part a bit cumbersome as to fit the part, you need to constantly be making checks as you dial in the fit. So you or rather I need to remove it from the tool a few times as I found the quickest way to deal with disc brake mounts is to do it by hand. If I'm building with sliders, then I think the post mount dropout all in one makes sense. But for lightest weight and simplicity, I really only recommend ISO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Am I crazy or was there a rack for the DEB at some point? Or was that another bike being built around the same time? I haven't had a chance to check out the process booklet yet, but will when I have some time!
    There is a rack - finishing up something for it this afternoon and if light/time allow, I will take some shots of the bike with it's rack today. If not, then tomorrow. But there was another bike just after Deb's that is almost identical but just a bit bigger and sports a powder coat finish vs Deb's liquid. That's this bike:

Here they both are overlapping:

You can observe some of the similarities and differences. I hope you enjoy the process book. Expect a few others like that - I've been planning on doing these for a while but finally took the time to make one as Deb's bike was a great candidate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seeing as how 99.9% of my riding is on pavement I would have no need for one of those, but I have to tell you that bike looks like an absolute blast to ride. I may want one anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Seeing as how 99.9% of my riding is on pavement I would have no need for one of those, but I have to tell you that bike looks like an absolute blast to ride. I may want one anyway.
    We have pavement here too. Unknown to popular belief, New Hampshire is quite civilized. However, we have a good deal of dirt. Which is one of the many reasons New Hampshire rules. We could tune yours for pavement too. The bike I pictured above that is for the client in D.C. is primarily pavement. I had to grow the stays a tad due to the fender requirement and balancing the wish for room for 32c tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have pavement here too. Unknown to popular belief, New Hampshire is quite civilized. However, we have a good deal of dirt. Which is one of the many reasons New Hampshire rules. We could tune yours for pavement too. The bike I pictured above that is for the client in D.C. is primarily pavement. I had to grow the stays a tad due to the fender requirement and balancing the wish for room for 32c tires.
    I'll believe it if I see a photo of a Huntsman on legit pavement. I've never been to New Hampshire, so my knowledge of the place is based solely on your photos of bikes in the woods.

If I start commuting again, I may have to give you a call.