Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Thoughts on Suit supply?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thoughts on Suit supply?

So, the DC location of Suit Supply opened today. A very nice store, and looked like a good product. To my mildly trained eye, seemed pretty on par for what you can get for ~$500 at other places (thinking Brooks on sale, the ubiquitous Hickey Freeman at Nordstrom Rack). All half canvas. Custom starting at $800ish, which is full canvas. I know it's been in NYC for a while, and wanted to see what others (ChaseA, christian, and you too!) thought about the product.

Most of my stuff is too big now, so I'm looking to get something in that price range ($500ish) that would be good for a little while, since I'll hopefully end up losing enough weight to where this one won't fit anymore, too.

TIA, ya'll

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Thoughts on Suit supply?

I think my next suit will be from Suit Supply. I was turned on to them by this WSJ article a while back, and their suits seem to compare favorably for the price:

A Hard-Working Suit - WSJ.com
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zetroc View Post
    I think my next suit will be from Suit Supply. I was turned on to them by this WSJ article a while back, and their suits seem to compare favorably for the price:

A Hard-Working Suit - WSJ.com
    Some good stuff on Put This On, too.

EDIT: Expanding on my first post, the staff seemed more knowledgable than most, and with four or fiveish fits and every size there, you can at least find the right fit in the store, if not the exact fabric. The guy wasn't scared to tell me that the DB suit I tried on looked like shit (it fit, but it did). I liked that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm like the most boring suit in the world: I have one BB Fitz in medium gray (half canvassed, but Southwick made in US) and two Paul Stuarts (Samuelsohn, full canvas) but every other suit I own is Martin Greenfield for J. Press. I followed Jay Walter to Press when he left BB. All 3-roll-2, flat front trousers, 1 3/4" cuff. Booooooooooooooooooooring!

But those articles certainly make it look interesting. I'll go check them out. $800 for a full-canvas suit is a good price if the fabric and construction is good, though I'm generally leery of MTM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    I'm like the most boring suit in the world: I have one BB Fitz in medium gray (half canvassed, but Southwick made in US) and two Paul Stuarts (Samuelsohn, full canvas) but every other suit I own is Martin Greenfield for J. Press. I followed Jay Walter to Press when he left BB. All 3-roll-2, flat front trousers, 1 3/4" cuff. Booooooooooooooooooooring!

But those articles certainly make it look interesting. I'll go check them out. $800 for a full-canvas suit is a good price if the fabric and construction is good, though I'm generally leery of MTM.
    I go in Press quite often, since it is a block from my office here in D.C., but can't ever find any suits I really like there. I'm wide, so the sack does me no favors.

With regards to MTM, I found this:

Quote Originally Posted by styleforum
    I recently had a suit made from them (personal tailoring-Suit-up). A navy pinstripe, notch lapel 2 button SB jacket, double vents, with flap pockets. Fully canvassed (stitched, not glued).

I had my measurements taken in Amsterdam, but had the suit delivered in London (I move around a lot) at no extra cost.
    It is made to measure, but they do not take your measurements directly. Instead, the measurement/fitting process is as follows:

first you are shown three or four jacket "styles/models" to choose from (many people complain about their high button stance, and I agree with them. Fortunately they also have models with lower button stance). After that, you put on a jacket of the style you have chosen that is about your right size (shoulder-wise) and define with you all the "changes" that should be made, pinning them down with pins, so you can actually see the effect. If I recall correctly I had "changes" in at least 25 different points of the jacket. The same goes for the trousers (my choice was trousers without belt loops and side tabs). The process takes around 40 minutes, and the service is really good. The guy who measured me suggested every single adjustment, explaining why he would do it, and making me choose when more than a matter of fit it was a matter of style choice (eg. the width of the trousers at the ankle, the closeness of the fit on the shoulders).
    After that, I was given swatches of cloth to choose from, as well as swatches for the lining and buttons.

The suit arrived after a month. I had a fitting in the london store, and we decided to shorten the trouser length. The rest of the fit was quite good in my opinion. You also have the option of wearing the suit for one or two weeks and then come back to make any adjustments you deem necessary. In my case, after some daysg I noticed that even though the fit of the jacket was quite good, after some movements the jacket would move backward a little, i.e. the jacket collar would move away from the shirt collar, just a tiny bit. I went back to the shop and they agreed with me. They explained that the top part of the back of the jacket (just below the collar) had been made a bit too short, and thus even though this gave me a nicer fit in the lower back, it created the problem with the collar. Since this could not be adjusted, they offered to take my measurements again and order another jacket with the new corrections, free of charge (in the meanwhile I will keep the current jacket). They also gave me a discount on a second pair of trousers.
    So, it's somewhere between heavy tailoring and MTM it seems. Takes 8 weeks to get a suit right now. I'll likely get something OTR from them if I have to go to Japan in November. I'd like my weight to stabilize before i do anything MTMish.