[IMG][/IMG]

Kurzerker!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by timdude View Post
    Spent election day installing my new old toy in it's new home. I should have painted it a nice Democrat blue.

vices and other pics - a set on Flickr
    Nice!
    I just moved into a new shop and inherited a huge Reed very similar to Tim's that was painted orange some time ago. It was mounted on top of of a big steel table that came from a WW2 shipyard in northern CA. Pretty used but still going! Too much vise for me honestly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Whit Johnson
    meriwethercycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Vices

Very cool, nice table and shop. Welcome to club Reed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the Hollands in my little workshop at home. Apparently the original owner was the UASAF. The leadscrew is a little shotski resulting in about half a turn of backlash, but it works.

[IMG][/IMG]

Did I say little. Maybe cozy would be a better word.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fattic View Post
    Attachment 45226
    I'm proud to be the caretaker of this English vise. It is the primary one I use in my shop. It was previously owned by Johnny Berry in Manchester, England. I consider him to be the best of the best classic English builders. He died in 1974 and I acquired much of his shop equipment when I was apprenticing at Ellis-Briggs in Shipley, West Yorkshire in 1975. I assume it was made prior to WWII. Hopefully when I have died – or at minimum in a vegetive or demented state – my wife will make sure it goes to a worthy builder like Herbie Helm. You can see the quick release lever by the handle that allows me to slide the jaws in and out quickly.

The frame in the vise was made by a student in my latest 3 week framebuilding class. We put on the final clear coat today.

I truly love working on a good vise. I bought a modest Chinese one for our frame shop in Ukraine. It worked but not nearly as well as the ones I'm used to in my own shop and was glad it broke. I went to the bazaar in Kiev and got a Wilton (to my surprise they were sold there). If I was starting over again my 1st choice would be an English Record vise with 5 1/4" jaws.
    Snap! I was lucky enough to get this vice as part of my new shop. I have 2 non-QR records which are great but the QR is the icing on the cake.

I've broken a few cheap welded vices in general bike shop use, a big lump of cast iron is unbeatable

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AndyA- I don't know, A lump of cast iron is a good thing to beat on... :) Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345