Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fork Jig REV 1

Hello all,
    I am just finishing up Frame #1 and I decided to build my own Fork. I was looking into buying the Bringheli or buying the 80-20 kit from Alex Wetmore, but after a lot of research and thought, I decided to take the plunge and make my own. It's build on a 40mm square rigid extrusion profile from MiSUMi. All in all I think it turned out pretty nice! It cost me around $145.00 plus about 6 hours of my time. I also had to buy a 1/2" Ball End mill to make the dummy axle holder. One thing that saved me a ton of time is this site Automation Materials.com | MiSUMi | METAL > Plates. It's a website also buy MiSUMi which allows you to spec 6 sided milled material block to 0.1mm spec which means you can hit almost all inch and metric measurements you need. I ordered the big V-block this way so I wouldn't have to worry about flatness and I could just tap of with my edge finder and go. The chunk of aluminum milled six sides was only $38.00. I don't know how they do it!

Anyways here are the pictures.

I am going to be adding pointers and scales as soon as they come in. It's designed to hold an Anvil Dummy Axle, which should hopefully be here this weekend. If anybody wants design drawings and a parts list, I'd be happy to share. I can whip up some solid prints in Solidworks.

Thanks, and happy building!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Fork Jig REV 1

Well done! I would certainly be interested in attempting a build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PM me your email, and I can send you some stuff next week! I'll send drawings parts and price lists for everything. I would recommend going to a local aluminum supplier and buying REMS that are close to the part sizes. I forgot to mention the $145 does not include the Anvil Dummy Axle which was $35+Shipping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I put together a site covering homemade jigs here - The Open Source Bicycle Frame Jig Project and this fork jig looks perfect. Can we talk about adding instructions and drawings for your jig to the site?

Thanks,

Pete
    Pete Ruckelshaus * Teacher, Fat Guy on a Bike * Collegeville, PA

pruckelshaus' flickr
    Framejig.wordpress.com effort to collect DIY framebuilding jig designs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pete,
    Of course! I'd be more than happy to do that for you! I left off a bunch of dimensions of things I already knew like hole sizes, Radii, etc. So I am going to work on finishing completed prints and compiling the build list. What's the best way to get this information to you?
    Thank you,
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Email me at pruckelshaus at gmail dot com

You are the man.

Now all I need to find is the equivalent in a reasonably full-featured homebuilt frame jig.
    Pete Ruckelshaus * Teacher, Fat Guy on a Bike * Collegeville, PA

pruckelshaus' flickr
    Framejig.wordpress.com effort to collect DIY framebuilding jig designs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool website idea by the way! I am doing a ton of mods to my Bringheli jig over the next few weeks I wouldn't mind sending over to you as well. I know it's a commercial jig, but it gave me an excellent base foundation, and maybe you could talk Joe into selling just the S portion of the Jig. I'm basically redoing the whole jig except for that part. Here is the front end so far, I'm gonna make a few changes. I'm starting this early next week. Also, if you need anything modeled or a drawing, I have a seat of Solidworks 2013. I'm pretty busy but can probably squeeze it in here and there!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a chance to use the fork jig last night, and it worked quite well! There are a few things I am not fully satisfied with just yet, so I think I am going to make a few revisions before I upload the prints to any of you guys.
    Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ToddFarr View Post
    Cool website idea by the way! I am doing a ton of mods to my Bringheli jig over the next few weeks I wouldn't mind sending over to you as well. I know it's a commercial jig, but it gave me an excellent base foundation, and maybe you could talk Joe into selling just the S portion of the Jig. I'm basically redoing the whole jig except for that part. Here is the front end so far, I'm gonna make a few changes. I'm starting this early next week. Also, if you need anything modeled or a drawing, I have a seat of Solidworks 2013. I'm pretty busy but can probably squeeze it in here and there!

Whoa....this looks cool! Can you please keep us Bringheli guys posted on your progress on this?

Dave
    Dave Anderson
    Anderson Custom Bicycles
    www.andersoncustombicycles.com
    ACB on Facebook
    ACB on flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this gets revived I'd be in for the 10 or 20 people range