Thread: Fork Jig REV 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Fork Jig REV 1

Andy,
    Yes there is 1" on 1 side and 1 and 1/8" on the other.

The crown race tap of design works like so.

The fork jig length scale will take into account the distance from the front edge of the of the V-block to the center of the dummy axle, all you will simply need to do is subtract whatever you decide you want the crown race offset offset to be, the shaft it's attached to is laser scaled. I chose to go this route because often times I lose my 50mm spacer I am using right now on my current fork jig, and I thought it would be nice to have this measurement always with the jig. It would also be nice to increase the offset from time to time. Once set and the steerer tube is locked down you can move the crown race stop back and out of the way.

Here is a picture explination

Fork Jig Explination by Todd Danger Farr, on Flickr

And here is the laser etched shaft which you subtract. You set it to whatever offset you want and subtract that value

Fork Jig laser scaled shaft by Todd Danger Farr, on Flickr

Hope this helps
    Minds Create, Hands Build.
    Ride Fast, Ride FARR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, it looks beautiful. I love the close up of the laser etching. Unfortunately, I think I'm out based on the price. Thanks anyway!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you considered doing it as a kickstarter? If the pricing scales, you could set the limit so that success required enough purchases to get it down to the low price. Right now, people are opting into a sort of nebulous price range... but if it's up there and people are saying "here's my credit card number, bill it if enough people join to make it Xdollars", it might work better. Just an idea! I've spent too much on this current bike to jump in... but maybe if you end up with an extra six months down the line...

Also, I think you should do a contest for a free one and make the criteria "Best Name for an Amateur Builder Who Doesn't Actually Sell Bikes and Lives in Berkeley".

Jim
    Curmudgeon Bicycles
    Berkeley, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Put my name in the hat when you reach 20+ pricing

Thanx

Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering what machine time costs and the effort Todd has put into the design the 5 order price is still a bargain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn. These look great. I wish I wouldn't have just bought a bringheli!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by veryredbike View Post
    Have you considered doing it as a kickstarter? If the pricing scales, you could set the limit so that success required enough purchases to get it down to the low price. Right now, people are opting into a sort of nebulous price range... but if it's up there and people are saying "here's my credit card number, bill it if enough people join to make it Xdollars", it might work better. Just an idea! I've spent too much on this current bike to jump in... but maybe if you end up with an extra six months down the line...

Also, I think you should do a contest for a free one and make the criteria "Best Name for an Amateur Builder Who Doesn't Actually Sell Bikes and Lives in Berkeley".

Jim
    Curmudgeon Bicycles
    Berkeley, CA
    I'm seriously considering just taking the risk and popping either 10 or 20 of these out. I figure I will eventually sell them off. Now I just have to convince the lady that it's as good of idea as I think it is.... Either way I'm building one for myself, so maybe when I start using it and people actually see the end product they will be more inclined to buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Considering what machine time costs and the effort Todd has put into the design the 5 order price is still a bargain.
    Thanks Jonathan, yeah most people don't realize what it takes to make these parts. They see the material costs beforehand and then the end product, but not the handles turning.

Quote Originally Posted by PJN View Post
    Damn. These look great. I wish I wouldn't have just bought a bringheli!
    Thank you for the compliments.

The Bringheli is $400 right? It would seem that if the Anvil is $1100 and the Bringheli is $400. I'd say pricing is pretty fair for what you are getting? It's no Anvil but even at 5 it's $400 less and only $300 more than the Bringheli.
    Ride Fast, Ride FARR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in if 19 other people are. $450.00 plus shipping is all i can handle. Thanks! Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just letting everyone know the lack of interest after pricing was posted has caused me to shift my time and energy to other things, with a wedding coming up and really can't sink any money into this without a group buy type of scenario.
    Thanks - Todd.
    Ride Fast, Ride FARR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this gets revived I'd be in for the 10 or 20 people range
    Dan Reid
    rider, builder of a frame, owner of a pile of tubes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ToddFarr View Post
    Just letting everyone know the lack of interest after pricing was posted has caused me to shift my time and energy to other things, with a wedding coming up and really can't sink any money into this without a group buy type of scenario.
    Thanks - Todd.

Kind of like selling bike frames. Everyone wants one until they have to pay for it. :)

How close are you to 20?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Todd - I know you've said you don't have the time / money for this any more but wanted to suggest this anyway:

Have you seen Pozible | Crowdfunding Creativity ? Basically it lets you put your price brackets / quantities up and allows people to buy at whatever price bracket they want. Pozible charges their Paypal for this amount so the customer is committed to buying. If you don't meet the minimum number of orders then Pozilbe refunds all of the customers their full amount.

I don't know what the involved costs are but it might be a reasonably easy way of managing the customer side of things.

I purchased a magazine subscription with this service...basically it allowed the editor to know he had enough paying subscribers before he started printing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by veryredbike View Post

Jim
    Curmudgeon Bicycles
    Berkeley, CA
    Heh. For a moment there, I thought you were talking about me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Christbaum View Post
    Heh. For a moment there, I thought you were talking about me.
    I suspect there are a few of us ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like I have to drop this here for good measure and to finally close out this thread. I seriously can't believe it but it took me over 6 years (sprinkle two international moves, 3 different jobs and a final relocation to California in there) to finish this project... It's amazing to look back on this and see the iterations this thing has been through and what I finally settled on. Anyways, I'm happy to be back Velocipede Salon! It looks like things have been alive and well, and I'm happy to see some familiar names and faces.

The FARR Frameworks Fork Fixture or FFFF (for short) by Todd Danger Farr, on Flickr
    Ride Fast, Ride FARR

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123