Thread: Motorcycles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Motorcycles.

Quote Originally Posted by sae View Post
    There's a '03 620 up in Gainesville. He's asking $4800 though, I'd say it's worth ~$1k less than he's asking.

Ducati MONSTER
    Thanks, there is a black one a little closer, a little newer and a lot cheaper. It's going to take me a few weeks to get the time to go buy one though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Tollefson View Post
    What year? If it's a 2004+, then make sure to do the TPS mod (okay, really it's an adjustment -- see the Canyonchaser site for ste-by-step instructions). Smooths out the low RPM manners a TON.
    2004 N(aked). Thanks - I saw the mod on the SV forum. I'll have to give it a try.
    killing idols one at a time

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    Clutch sounds like it's filled with a bag of rocks. Otherwise ok.
    The 620 has a wet clutch. IIRC only the M900 and larger have a dry clutch. Over the last several years pretty much all of the Ducs have moved to a wet clutch.
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't worry, my wet clutch still sounds like a bag of gravel got thrown in the motor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if I'm wasting my time or not but I just bought a barely used Buell Blast to commute on. $1000 bucks for a bike with 4k miles. I just can't pass up a deal. Still looking for a Ducati.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever you're riding, you're gaining skill, so it's never truly a waste.

The Blast was made specifically for Harley's new rider program, so it should be great to learn on. You can bounce it off the pavement with little damage. I'm sure you'll find some like-minded new rider when you want to sell it for something bigger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sae View Post
    Whatever you're riding, you're gaining skill, so it's never truly a waste.

The Blast was made specifically for Harley's new rider program, so it should be great to learn on. You can bounce it off the pavement with little damage. I'm sure you'll find some like-minded new rider when you want to sell it for something bigger.
    I had a dirt bike growing up and rode to high school for a few years and some in college. I've not been on a bike since the late 90's. the idea of a simple thumper right now is pretty appealing. I know I'll want to move up to something bigger, more stylish and more cache, though the thumper seems like the perfect commuter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie to [motor]bikes and am totally intrigued by the moto-style bikes (hey I like Rally-racing and cyclocross too).

Am I an idiot for thinking something like one of these 450s would not only be an absolute blast, but is just about the perfect bike for dicking around in the mountains with?!

laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by musgravecycles View Post
    Am I an idiot for thinking something like one of these 450s would not only be an absolute blast, but is just about the perfect bike for dicking around in the mountains with?!
    Hooligan!

No, you'll likely love it.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I don't know if I'm wasting my time or not but I just bought a barely used Buell Blast to commute on. $1000 bucks for a bike with 4k miles. I just can't pass up a deal. Still looking for a Ducati.
    Sounds awesome! Neighbor I ride with just picked up a Buell X1 Millenium.

If you are looking for a Ducati Diavel, I have one I have to sell! Smoking deal!
    Dave Bradley...not the grumpy old Hogwarts caretaker "Mr. Filch" or the star of American Ninja 3 and 4.

formerly "Mr.President"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by musgravecycles View Post
    Newbie to [motor]bikes and am totally intrigued by the moto-style bikes (hey I like Rally-racing and cyclocross too).

You are not an idiot, this is a popular choice in bike rallys such as the Dark Dog Moto Tour.

--
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Supermoto style bike look like big time fun. Tons of grip, tons of ground clearance, light weight. Should be a bunch of fun.

My porky 4 cyl is fresh out of the shop as of last week. Feels like a different bike after getting a bunch of TLC done on it. Tires, valve adjust, carb sync, little fork overhaul. Pulls like a mutha now and makes all sorts of cool sounds when I pull on the loud handle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I've ridden this Buell thumper around a few days. I'm used to bigger Japanese bikes with more cylinders. When you twist the throttle of the buell, right at the point you think it should enter into its power band and fireworks should happen, the rev limiter kicks in. It's sort of disappointing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have heard this about the blast. That and the odd gear ratios.

I'm sure there are ways to pull more power out. But then again, this is only temporary. Ride it until you find what you want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    I have heard this about the blast. That and the odd gear ratios.

I'm sure there are ways to pull more power out. But then again, this is only temporary. Ride it until you find what you want.
    Yeah, it's geared high. It's fast enough to keep you out of the way of traffic, but slow enough that nothing is unexpected. It's pretty pedestrian but overall fun to ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even though it is a belt, is there any possibility of changing sprockets to drop the ratios?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone ridden with both Sidi cycling shoes and Sidi moto boots? Is the shape/last similar? Is the sizing consistent? I wear Genius and Dominators and I'm looking at ebaying some Vertigo boots.
    killing idols one at a time

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had some side boots and found the volume to be a little smaller on the racy boot. Can't speak to the others. I wear same size in both, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taz View Post
    Has anyone ridden with both Sidi cycling shoes and Sidi moto boots? Is the shape/last similar? Is the sizing consistent? I wear Genius and Dominators and I'm looking at ebaying some Vertigo boots.

I have two pair of sidi moto boots, came with no insoles. Both lead to pronation while walking, not enough room to add proper insoles.

Arbitrary aside -guy on a Buell chopped me while in my car...in order to look at a guy on a rate moto... which turned out to be the same as mine. So much irony... and the light is still green...
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wear 44 mega or 44.5 in cycling shoes. Comfortably a 44 in my Vertigos and Vortices and whatever they are called. Only exception is the Aerostich Combat boot (made by Sidi); I think I'd size down to a 43 in that one. B