Thread: Motorcycles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Motorcycles.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    brand new to the world of motorcycles here.

i just bought a brand new ('12 leftover) cbr250 for what i consider to be a great price. it's a great little bike from my perspective. having owned it for a little bit now, i'm amazed small displacement motos are not more popular for commuting and getting around. on a recent 260 mile round trip to the jersey shore, i calculated 81mpg.

so that's 81mpg for a vehicle that cost under $3500 brand spankin new, and is a joke to insure. why doesnt everyone own one of these??

I have no idea. This is what I use to get to the train station, run errands, take my wife to dinner and a movie, etc.

It's a 2010 Honda SH150i - only brought over for 1 year, did not sell in USA, is the #1 scooter in Italy (yes, it outsells Vespa in Italy), bought as a brand new leftover for under $3,500, and gets 90MPG riding 2-up.

Attachment 57079

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Any Ducati owners here? Is there any reason why a Monster 620 wouldn't make a fun commuter bike?
    Yes. I currently have a '95 900 SuperSport and a '12 Monster 796. The 796 replaced a 2003 Monster 620.

At times in the past 10 years, the Monster 620 was the only vehicle that ran in our house and we often joked that if we had to move to the city, it's the only vehicle we would keep. The 620 is a killer little motorcycle, ideally-suited for commuting and inner-city hooliganery, though my wife used it for long tours as well. It's light, very nimble, and it honestly feels like you could bunny-hop it onto the sidewalk if you needed to. On the open road it's plenty fast, and I think it's an easier bike to hussle through tight bends at speed than the 900ss. Like all Ducatis, it has very limited steering lock, so you get really good at counter-weighted u-turns.

Part of my impression of M620 happiness and light comes from riding it back to back to the SuperSport, which I love dearly, but is a miserable commuter and errand bike. Its slow-speed handling can be quite heavy, the fairings funnel all of the engine heat straight to your thighs, and between the open pipes, dry clutch, air-cooling, and lack of sound proofing in the bodywork, it sounds like the apocalypse, which is fun sometimes, but not when sitting in downtown traffic at rush hour on a hot day. And sometimes it doesn't start. But for all it's faults, I'll never part with it.

I haven't ridden the 796 more than once or twice - it's my wife's bike. But one year in, she still doesn't like it as much, feel as bonded to it, or ride it as well, as she did the 620.

Small Monsters (600, 620, 750) are hot commodities. They seldom come up for sale and when they do they are snatched up immediately. When we looked for the 620, we put the word out to the local dealers and they all said "Good luck. Those aren't for sale." Eventually one came in on a trade-in and we bought it the next day. When we traded it in on the 796, our little silver 620 spent maybe three days in the showroom before going to its third owner.

Have I convinced you to buy a Monster 620 yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any Ducati owners here? Is there any reason why a Monster 620 wouldn't make a fun commuter bike?
    Clutch sounds like it's filled with a bag of rocks. Otherwise ok.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to have a Multistrada 620 (same engine, bigger airbox for slightly more power). Great commuter engine, perfect size to blow anything off the road up to 100MPH, without scary power that feels like you have to be restrained all the time. The small monsters can be tight ergonomically for bigger guys, so I'd look into that before buying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Y
    Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    I used to have a Multistrada 620 (same engine, bigger airbox for slightly more power). Great commuter engine, perfect size to blow anything off the road up to 100MPH, without scary power that feels like you have to be restrained all the time. The small monsters can be tight ergonomically for bigger guys, so I'd look into that before buying.
    I'm not a big guy.

I'm pretty well convinced to pull the trigger. The only thing holding me back is I know how with me one leads to two and a super sport or 996 sounds like a really great idea too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jon the monster has very different orgonomics from a supersport or a 996. The latter put you in a forward racer like position that, to a cyclist, seems like it would be comfortable, but it really isn't for just riding around or commuting. Definitely get a monster over the other 2 for commuting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the 996 is much more complex mechanically (valve train that needs frequent and expensive checks/adjustments) and will cook your legs like the supersport. I have had a full tupperware bike and presently do not. For commuting, especially in a place where there is hot weather, you don't (and cannot emphasize the don't enough) want the engine heat blasting you. The pavement is hot enough on its own. But yeah, I get why you want the 996.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
    jon the monster has very different orgonomics from a supersport or a 996. The latter put you in a forward racer like position that, to a cyclist, seems like it would be comfortable, but it really isn't for just riding around or commuting. Definitely get a monster over the other 2 for commuting.
    Right Chris, I didn't mean to confuse the bikes, I was just saying if I have a commuter, before long ill want a sport bike too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've owned two 748 Ducs. The one I just sold was a track only 853 and the one I have now is street/track. Comparing the ergos of any of the late 90's and early aughts 7xx or 9xx bikes to any of the Monsters is apples and chainsaws. The Duc is comfortable at highway speeds as the buffeting takes some pressure off the wrists. On the track they are wonderful. On the street, well, I'll just say that the KLR650 gets a hell of a lot more street time than the Duc. Although compared the Norton the Duc is as comfortable as a Goldwing.

As far as the dry clutch sound, yeah is does sound a bit like a fork in the garbage disposal but that is one of the hallmarks of the Ducati I suppose. I will say that I just put a DucaBike 5 spring slipper clutch in the 748 and it is considerably quieter now.

On paper the 696 and 796 Monsters make a hell of a lot of sense. Good HP without expediting your arraignment or funeral. Lightweight. Short wheelbase. Comfortable ergos. Just a damn good package. I'd imagine that the 620M is no different.
    Tim O'Donnell- Shamrock Cycles
    www.lugoftheirish.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that the Monsters make a lot of sense. I'm also lusting after that new KTM 690 Duke. Small-Monster HP with seemingly sensible HP at ~350lbs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question for the group. I have Kawasaki Versys with a broken right mirror. Any suggestions for good replacements?

The stock mirrors are too narrow for me to see much behind me, so, the wider the better. I'll probably get some of these either way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check some CRG lanesplitters. It is a bar end instead of a bar mount. Downside is that it makes your bars effectively a bunch wider and therefore a little more difficult to slip between tight spots. They fold in if you are thinking ahead.

CRG - Constructors Racing Group

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    Check some CRG lanesplitters. It is a bar end instead of a bar mount. Downside is that it makes your bars effectively a bunch wider and therefore a little more difficult to slip between tight spots. They fold in if you are thinking ahead.

CRG - Constructors Racing Group
    Thanks, I've looked a bit at the bar end mirrors. I'm not sure I'll be able to easily mount them though. My bars have either sliders or some kind of anti vibe things on the ends. I got it used, so I'm not sure exactly what they are. I'll have to take a look and see how easy they'd be to get off.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably some weights. They should come off. If you poke around on the website they sell a plug to replace those that acts as a mount for the mirror. If you have a tube handlebar, there are some aftermarket anti-vibe solutions (bar snake, etc) that can knock down bar vibes if they kick up after taking off the weights.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How tall are you? I have a 696, it's supposedly even short-friendly than the 620.

The cheapest I could find a 620 was ~4k, and I picked up this 696 for 5k. I figured after I upgraded the brakes, levers, etc. to reasonable spec, I would've already blown over what I could get a 696 for. The new style is polarizing, but the better driveability isn't. The longer service intervals are appreciated too.

I geared it down almost immediately, the 14T front sprocket makes it much more well behaved around town. Much less low-rpm lugging.

I love this thing so far (have about 1000 miles on it over 2 months), but already have the itch for more power. Not to say it's slow by any means, but if you've ever driven a comparably quick car, it's easy to be underwhelmed. I'm definitely still learning, but everyone always says a liter bike will get you killed as a first bike...I'd definitely say the lack of self control is likely what kills.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sae View Post
    How tall are you? I have a 696, it's supposedly even short-friendly than the 620.

The cheapest I could find a 620 was ~4k, and I picked up this 696 for 5k. I figured after I upgraded the brakes, levers, etc. to reasonable spec, I would've already blown over what I could get a 696 for. The new style is polarizing, but the better driveability isn't. The longer service intervals are appreciated too.

I geared it down almost immediately, the 14T front sprocket makes it much more well behaved around town. Much less low-rpm lugging.

I love this thing so far (have about 1000 miles on it over 2 months), but already have the itch for more power. Not to say it's slow by any means, but if you've ever driven a comparably quick car, it's easy to be underwhelmed. I'm definitely still learning, but everyone always says a liter bike will get you killed as a first bike...I'd definitely say the lack of self control is likely what kills.
    I round up to 5'7".

I've been looking around FL and I'd be happy with anything between a 600 and 800. I do like the older styling. For what these things cost its really not a big deal but I think a red 2005-2006 620 would be ideal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On Jalopnik the answer to nearly every car question is MX-5 and I think the motorcycle equivalent is this.
    IMG_1436-1.jpg
    If it takes too long to find a 620 Monster and you want to get on the road pick up an SV and when you find the Ducati you really want you can sell it with minimal loss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny you post this - I just pulled the trigger on an SV-650 about 15 mins ago. Been going back and forth in my head about a Monster but a friend of a friend had an SV for sale and the timing was right. The bike I've been really lusting for is one of those Duc Sport Classics they had out about 3-4 years and then discontinued. I'll see how the SV works out and maybe I'll still do it if my interest (and time to ride) works out. Anybody interested in a Pegoretti Custom Team in 54?

- taz
    killing idols one at a time

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taz View Post
    Funny you post this - I just pulled the trigger on an SV-650 about 15 mins ago.
    What year? If it's a 2004+, then make sure to do the TPS mod (okay, really it's an adjustment -- see the Canyonchaser site for ste-by-step instructions). Smooths out the low RPM manners a TON.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I round up to 5'7".

I've been looking around FL and I'd be happy with anything between a 600 and 800. I do like the older styling. For what these things cost its really not a big deal but I think a red 2005-2006 620 would be ideal.
    There's a '03 620 up in Gainesville. He's asking $4800 though, I'd say it's worth ~$1k less than he's asking.

Ducati MONSTER