Thread: Motorcycles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Motorcycles.

Quote Originally Posted by devlin View Post
    Not to be a smart arse but maybe something a bit tamer for the first year. It's amazing how quickly a big bike can get away from you.

Also, water proof gear usually is up until a point.
    I didn't want to be 'that guy' so I'm glad someone took the hit for me. Don't get a liter bike. I think a CB500F is about the perfect motorcycle for 99% of the population. Not that I'm qualified to tell anyone what to buy, but I've been riding since before I could drive. I've also been in/around the military in some capacity my whole life and have spent much of that trying to convince Privates that a Hayabusa is not an intelligent way to spend your sign-up/reup bonus.

THAT BEING SAID

I feel like modern literbikes are actually easier to ride than their midweight/lightweight counterparts. You don't have to rev them to get that tingly feeling in your pants. They all come with some sort of traction control/ABS that will probably save your ass a few times. If I buy anything else other than a literbike next time it will be a 400/500cc supermoto.
    Insubordinate. And Churlish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by quickag View Post
    I didn't want to be 'that guy' so I'm glad someone took the hit for me. Don't get a liter bike.
    I was gonna say similar. I figured it would just get ignored with the typical "I can handle it". And that is likely true... right up to where you can't. Heck, even a Suzuki TU250 can get you killed. There's nothing about a race-tuned street bike that's newbie friendly. My suggestion would be to go with a small V-twin or single something (no, not a Harley) and put a few thousand miles on it before thinking about going with something bigger/inline-4.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Tollefson View Post
    I was gonna say similar. I figured it would just get ignored with the typical "I can handle it". And that is likely true... right up to where you can't. Heck, even a Suzuki TU250 can get you killed. There's nothing about a race-tuned street bike that's newbie friendly. My suggestion would be to go with a small V-twin or single something (no, not a Harley) and put a few thousand miles on it before thinking about going with something bigger/inline-4.
    This. If you need a big bike that won't rip your arms off, look at the boxer Beemers.

Maybe something mid-sized like a Tiger 800?

You CAN learn to ride on a bike bike. I started on Dad's Wing, then moved to a BMW R1150RT. Neither are what you'd call small. Having said that, I'd probably have been better off on something smaller. :nod When got my KTM 640Adventure, I had such a s--t eating grin on my face that you couldn't pull it off

M

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Gummee;613647
    You CAN learn to ride on a bike bike. I started on Dad's Wing, then moved to a BMW R1150RT. Neither are what you'd call small. Having said that, I'd probably have been better off on something smaller. [/QUOTE]

The problem with learning on a "big bike" isn't about the actual size of the bike (which can be a challenge, don't get me wrong), but the large displacement inline-4 race bikes that have a power curve that takes a steep incline at the mid-range rpms. Newbies will be tentative about climbing up that rev range, and then suddenly the bike takes off... Sometimes the liters have enough overall power to not feel so anemic at low revs, but that big surprise is still waiting at around 6K.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks all for the input. I goofed on the bike and meant to say FZ 07. I don't think I'd be ready for that 3 cylinder and the throttle response on the 09 may be a bit much for me.

I grew up with moto's in the house (father had 4 bikes at one time) and have a decent understanding of the need for safety and caution.

I can see myself riding this bike for years and don't see wanting to be trying to sell a 250cc in a years time.

Signing up for the MSF course in August it looks like. I kinda like that this is going to be a process and I can't just go into a store by something and just start endangering my life and others.

Team Oregon here has some more advanced classes as well that seem pretty affordable. Could be fun to learn some stuff beyond just the basics.

Cheers. Nick
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd want to get to the intermediate class asap; riding strategies, where to have your bike when, aren't the same as with a car or bike.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Motos on the road are similar to riding in a pack of cyclists. The transition's not *that* tough.

Think of the other road users as blind elephants blundering around. They're really not (usually) actively trying to kill you but in their blind blunderings, they're dangerous.

If I'd started on a liter bike, I'd probably have had lots more problems. Twist that right wrist too far on a big (power) bike and things can get out of hand VERY quickly. The big bikes I started on were big size-wise, but not necessarily power-wise

M

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmech13 View Post
    Thanks all for the input. I goofed on the bike and meant to say FZ 07. I don't think I'd be ready for that 3 cylinder and the throttle response on the 09 may be a bit much for me.

I grew up with moto's in the house (father had 4 bikes at one time) and have a decent understanding of the need for safety and caution.

I can see myself riding this bike for years and don't see wanting to be trying to sell a 250cc in a years time.

Signing up for the MSF course in August it looks like. I kinda like that this is going to be a process and I can't just go into a store by something and just start endangering my life and others.

Team Oregon here has some more advanced classes as well that seem pretty affordable. Could be fun to learn some stuff beyond just the basics.

Cheers. Nick
    FZ07 is a great bike. Good choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And now for something completely different ...

a local commutes on one of these. Less than 200cc, less than 300 pounds, big fat rubber. Looks like fun.

Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those have been around forever - perfect tundra vehicle. Charley and Ewan should've taken two of those.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since when is "Tundra" code for Oakland?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    Since when is "Tundra" code for Oakland?
    You don't know how close to the truth that is, only here it'd have nitrous:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by devlin View Post
    Also, water proof gear usually is up until a point.
    I meant to say 'kind of water proof'.

I've never ridden in the rain and stayed dry. Even with water proof riding gear on. I was thinking of getting some of the water proof clobber that the yachties use and wear it over my normal riding gear.

"Even my farts smell like steel!" - Diel

"Make something with your hands. Not with your money." - Dario

Sean Doyle

www.devlincc.com

https://www.instagram.com/devlincustomcycles/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139142779@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jitahs View Post

Chevy van Donk at 7:45! That looks like fun. Khaki pants on the CRF100 is pretty impressive. Quads are so useless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Put about 500 miles on teh Triton since I finished the build. Took it to Rockers Reunion and took home Best British trophy. (despite the frame is made in the USA and front end is Italian).
    In unrelated news, I punted the KLR and picked up a new Street Triple R. That is a great all-around bike. 400lbs wet, +/- 100hp, great triple warble, easy ergos, good brakes and suspension, etc. It's moving up the charts with a bullet.

14124895280_6bf9ef3982_z.jpg

14331703423_9ec93cbf49_z.jpg

14310913594_0b475c0b20_z.jpg

14124891330_1ddf41cc29_z.jpg

14124850519_61ebfb20c6_c.jpg

14310910424_d2de5ac0a0_z.jpg

14331698663_c1fd89d625_z.jpg

14331876863_30fb85e679_c.jpg
    Tim O'Donnell- Shamrock Cycles
    www.lugoftheirish.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hmbatrail View Post
    Put about 500 miles on teh Triton since I finished the build. Took it to Rockers Reunion and took home Best British trophy. (despite the frame is made in the USA and front end is Italian).
    In unrelated news, I punted the KLR and picked up a new Street Triple R. That is a great all-around bike. 400lbs wet, +/- 100hp, great triple warble, easy ergos, good brakes and suspension, etc. It's moving up the charts with a bullet.
    I'm a streetfighter guy personally, but I'd build and ride the shit out of this if I had any fab skills...or enough money to pay someone else to do it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jitahs View Post

My only comment is its hard to maximize your return when your investment vehicle is a duffle bag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hmbatrail View Post

14124895280_6bf9ef3982_z.jpg

14331703423_9ec93cbf49_z.jpg

14310913594_0b475c0b20_z.jpg

14124891330_1ddf41cc29_z.jpg

14124850519_61ebfb20c6_c.jpg

14310910424_d2de5ac0a0_z.jpg

14331698663_c1fd89d625_z.jpg

14331876863_30fb85e679_c.jpg
    That bike is a stunner and can see why it one an award.

How bout a pic of the triple?
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take a bone stock Matte Graphite 2014 Street Triple R. Ditch the factory mirrors and license plate holder. Put CRG mirrors, axle sliders and a tail tidy back on. Then ride it for 850 miles over course of three days. Now you have my bike.
    Tim O'Donnell- Shamrock Cycles
    www.lugoftheirish.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This happened today!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Not Riding!