Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Motorcycles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    It's sort of disappointing.
    It's half a Sportster. I don't think it'll ever be revvy or peaky! That said, given the shared architecture, maybe you can drop in new cams and bump the displacement up with a 1200 jug and piston. How plug and okay with the front cylinder of a Sportster are tese, anyway?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Continuing on with the supermoto theme for a minute, my understanding is that in most states a lot of bikes can be converted to street-legal supermoto bikes but in North Carolina you have to start out with something already in that configuration. Is a Suzuki DRZ400 the way to go? What else should be on my radar?
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't have to start with a Supermoto, you just have to start with a road-legal bike. Still, I'd look at the DRZ400SM (stone axe), Yammie WR250X (actually my fave), KTM 640 derivatives (I've had a couple).

My advice would be to NOT buy and convert a 450 racing four-stroke -- they are unbelievable racing machines but have extremely aggressive maintenance schedules.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Christen is totally correct about buying a mx bike and then converting it to a supermoto. Bad move unless you have loads of cash and know what you are doing.

The main question should be what your skill level is and what type of riding you plan to do. If you can tear rubber off the wheels and have lots of time with riding mx bikes then my advise is going with a KTM no DR400. The suzuki is a good bike but man is it slow. But it is perfect to commute to work on in the city. I have never riden the Yamaha so I can not give real life advise. But with the Suzuki and KTM I have worked for both companys and know the bikes inside and out. If you have any techy questions just ask!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deboat View Post
    The suzuki is a good bike but man is it slow. But it is perfect to commute to work on in the city. I have never riden the Yamaha so I can not give real life advise.
    The Yammie WR250X is in a higher state of tune than a DR-Z and revs way more freely (and has 6 gears). But at the end of the day, it's only 250cc of suck-squish-bang-blow so not exactly a rocket either. Probably about 28 hp. Fun as hell though, and very nicely put together. Much higher quality appearance than Dr. Zed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    The Yammie WR250X is in a higher state of tune than a DR-Z and revs way more freely (and has 6 gears). But at the end of the day, it's only 250cc of suck-squish-bang-blow so not exactly a rocket either. Probably about 28 hp. Fun as hell though, and very nicely put together. Much higher quality appearance than Dr. Zed.
    I know this is such an American thing to say but it seems the only thing the WR250R/X needs is an additional 100cc. In a day when minivans can hit 60 MPH in seven seconds it doesn't seem like the extra grunt would be considered decadent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't want to tour on it, but I've wrung one out pretty well on the highway. It's a great engine, tractable, flexible, revvy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's half a Sportster. I don't think it'll ever be revvy or peaky! That said, given the shared architecture, maybe you can drop in new cams and bump the displacement up with a 1200 jug and piston. How plug and okay with the front cylinder of a Sportster are tese, anyway?
    100 dollar saddle on a $40 horse.

I'm having fun. When I was younger it would have been a problem. I cruise around cautious like a grandmother.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't ridden one, but the new KTM 690 Duke looks like a great package for the city that should be plenty powerful for the freeway too Supposedly 350ish pounds, 65 horsepower, plenty torque. Anyone seen/ridden one?

KTM 2013 KTM 690 Duke - Highlights

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    I haven't ridden one, but the new KTM 690 Duke looks like a great package for the city that should be plenty powerful for the freeway too Supposedly 350ish pounds, 65 horsepower, plenty torque. Anyone seen/ridden one?

KTM 2013 KTM 690 Duke - Highlights
    Ha ha, I'm so in love with this Duke that I forgot that I already posted about it back on Page 9!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't the KTM require some frequent and difficult oil change ritual? I remember seeing something about three separate oil filters and a 1500 mile interval. As cool as it is, that is a non-starter for me. Some local dude tools around on a Husky supermoto that looks pretty cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, but it's not so bad if you build yourself an oil-jug pump dealio. And there's just a filter and a screen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The KTM 690 duke is a great bike. The oil and oil filter change process is very easy. The engine has one oil filter and two oil screens and one oil drain plug.

As to regarding the how frequent I will say this. Forget what the manufacture says and think about how you use the engine. If you want a 250cc you will indeed rev the engine more than say a 690. Therefore new oil is needed more often. The new oil is mainly but not only needed in modern engines for the big end bearings.

The Duke 690 is a do everything bike. The Duke 390 is aimed for more of the learner rider. The new Super Duke that is coming out soon is a man's bike!!

I think first look at how much money yóu want to spend then look into a mirror and look at what type of rider you really are. After this you choose the size of bike and last you choose the colour.
    For me I always choose the one that is paying my bills!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The KTM 690 duke is a great bike. The oil and oil filter change process is very easy. The engine has one oil filter and two oil screens and one oil drain plug.
    BTW, deboat is legally obligated to say this, as he is from Austria.

I think first look at how much money yóu want to spend then look into a mirror and look at what type of rider you really are. After this you choose the size of bike and last you choose the colour.
    I tried this, but got tired of GS450s and CB500s. Motorcycles shouldn't always be a rational decision!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW, deboat is legally obligated to say this, as he is from Austria.
    arent these things now Indian? Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bajaj owns 47% of KTM as far as I know. So it's like Wienerschnitzel with a side of curry rice. Or something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

christian - thx for the WR250x recommend. Digging around the interweb a bit last night it looks like a nice machine and really is all the bike I need...er, or want. I'll start looking for a good used one.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by musgravecycles View Post
    christian - thx for the WR250x recommend. Digging around the interweb a bit last night it looks like a nice machine and really is all the bike I need...er, or want. I'll start looking for a good used one.
    When I was looking I found lots of used deals. Lots of folks buy one, put in a few thousand miles and then forget about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by musgravecycles View Post
    Jason, that's a great bike. You'll dig it. It might be underpowered for long highway cruises but for almost all other purposes you'll be surprised by that little motor.