User Tag List

Page 56 of 75 FirstFirst ... 464748495051525354555657585960616263646566 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1500

Thread: Motorcycles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Motorcycles.

Quote Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
    Newer Harley. 2018 + Softail with the Milwaukee 8 motor and new frame. Take a look at a Softail Heritage classic, handles reasonably well, has an easily removable windshield, and comes with saddle bags big enough for a rain suit and a couple of bottles of wine.
    Interesting, I did not check the touring range because I am not going to tour anything. A rain suit is not in the mix as this thing will not see a drop of water but the couple bottle of wines can be nice !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lionel, no idea on the Harleys as those are way outside my Ken. The Indians strike me as cooler, less common Harleys, but YMMV. You will be riding in the Alps, so do be mindful that sudden rain may happen upon you even on the nicest days down low, and having bags rules as you will need to be putting your purchases somewhere. I applaud this impulse in general! I have reentered the motorcycle world, and it has quickly reestablished itself as a competitive obsession with the bicycling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Come on Lionel, you know better. A sunny day trip into the Alps can turn to shit real quick. Riding in wet leathers at 50 degrees F can really suck, ask me how I know.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All very good points. The Alps is not going to be very often most of the riding will be around here where rain does not happen just like that :)

This said I have been checking the heritage softail and it basically looks like a fat bob with bags and removable windshield. I am going to be heading to the harley dealer to get more info and feedback from the locals. Not sure if I can dig up a leather jacket to look cool in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the major PIA for this in France is that I need to get a motorcycle license. Seems straightforward as it obviously in in the US. Here this fucking thing involves re-doing a written exam for traffic laws then a minimum of 20 hours of lessons and two riding tests (one open road and one around cones etc...). The lessons can be done in 5 days at 8 hours a day !

All of this coupled with Covid restrictions and administrative delays.

To top it off you need to ride a bike with less than 50hp for 2 years then convert your license to ride anything after 2 years. The Harleys can be limited (and I think most people take the limiter off right away).

Anyway PIA as I said.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    One of the major PIA for this in France is that I need to get a motorcycle license. Seems straightforward as it obviously in in the US. Here this fucking thing involves re-doing a written exam for traffic laws then a minimum of 20 hours of lessons and two riding tests (one open road and one around cones etc...). The lessons can be done in 5 days at 8 hours a day !

To top it off you need to ride a bike with less than 50hp for 2 years then convert your license to ride anything after 2 years. The Harleys can be limited (and I think most people take the limiter off right away).

Anyway PIA as I said.
    Dang, are you bagging on France? LOL. Surely you can bribe a rural official :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyway PIA as I said.
    I am sure all that training is a PIA (written with sarcasm) but at least it ensures that fewer Europeans die from motorcycles than us 'Mericans who have almost no training before getting a motorcycle license and able to drive any cc bike we want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Currently looking at dual sport bikes, leaning towards Kawasaki KLX 250.

Haven't had a bike since my '72 R75/5, sold 23 years ago....

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyway PIA as I said.
    With your stature I would think a harley with a low seat wouldn't be that much fun. Why not something like a Ducati Scrambler ? I think they are pretty much okay for large riders, have a vintage flare and the engine has some character. They can be limited to be A2 compatible for the first two years and they would be much nicer to ride, even at cruising pace, on alpine roads.

I wouldn't complain about the regulation as well, even if I am also a late starter in the motorcycling world. They are here for a reason. Besides, if your plan is simply to cruise, you won't suffer with a limited bike. Even with the limitation, you can easily go at illegal speeds and pass slower cars/campers.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 07-15-2020 at 08:48 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Came back from the Harley dealer. I sat on a bunch of them. I liked the fat Bob. Fat boy seems a bit over the top.

As for the drivers license I am trying to see if there is a way around it by having a US license....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mentioned a few pages back that if a good deal would come up on a used Vespa I probably wouldn't be able to resist. That happened today. I found a 2018 GTS300 touring edition with 671 miles on it. A guy bought it new last summer as a gift for his wife. She prefers riding her Honda Rebel instead.

By the time I got it home and all the paperwork taken care of, I only had time for a 7-8 mile ride before storms started moving in. I can't wait for my wife to take it for a ride. This thing is going to be fun.

Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Envy, you struck gold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    Currently looking at dual sport bikes, leaning towards Kawasaki KLX 250.

Haven't had a bike since my '72 R75/5, sold 23 years ago....

SPP
    So I bought this...1984 R80ST...

August 23, 2020 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice BMW. Those are pretty desirable and hard to come by in decent condition. You did good.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slow Poke Pete - now officially the coolest guy on two wheels in Hillsdale NY!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Start surfing the Langlitz site, Pete.

https://www.langlitz.com/
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned