Page 1 of 75 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Motorcycles.

Let's say you have a daft plan to go on a two-week distance-intensive adventure, and need a motorcycle to do it - one that you'd promptly sell afterwards. There's a kicker though, and that's that initial cost of entry needs to land under $2500.

What would you buy, and why?

Bonus points for vSalon chic. You know what I mean.
    Nate King
    not at scarab

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Motorcycles.

How much experience do you have riding a moto? Discuss. This will help guide you to the right ride. And what are you...5'8" 140lb or something?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SV650. You'll probably keep it.
    Insubordinate. And Churlish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking the exact same thing. Not ideal for touring but one such bike wouldn't fit the price limit thus the compromise. The SV is a reliable bike that will do anything well. (and it sounds good!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the sv ok, but it's an UJM.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing really wrong with a UJM, though. I feel that way because I have a UJM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BMW R80. Abundant spare parts, VW-like serviceability, long distance comfort and vintage style. I rode one for six or so years, they are excellent.

BL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing wrong w/a UJM, but op was looking for something salon-worthy.

Buy my GB500 for 6k; I'll repurchase it for 3k when you get back. win/win

You're a hard man.

R bike yes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have not ridden anything other than a harley, or an odd ball british ride, since the 1980s. Still, an old Gold Wing is an invincible machine, comfortable on long rides and solid as a rock. If you want some character, go to the BMW, but getting one on your budget may be tough.

I also had great experiences with the Honda 750 four, and the KZ 750/1000. With reasonably low miles on them, you can go back to these 70s and 80s bikes and pay little for allot of highly ridable fun. these are more in the "sport touring" style and will take bags and passengers with aplomb.

And stay away from those stupid things built to try and look like something else, Shadows and other cruisers. They are a bad compromise all stylized to be something they are not.
    Dovid@dhoffman.consulting

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A mint CB750K0 sand cast is a UJM. And salon worthy.....

this is on local CL. I want. 1975 BMW R90S

salon worthy. not a UJM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That thing planes, is no pain.

Worthy.

Companion piece de rigeur: Zen and the Art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Highways or backroads? Are you carrying serious gear or will everything fit in a backpack? How much time have you spent with motos? A little more info would be helpful.

FYI, there won't be many "chic" options in your price range that are ultra-reliable. If you want peace of mind, buy a solid UJM of almost any vintage. The CB750 is a UJM that is salon worthy and seems to be the donor bike for about 50% of the customs that I've seen lately. If you want style, you should be able to pick up something like a 1970-1980s Guzzi or BMW near your price range.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rent.

If you're easily influenced by Sturgis-type folk, rent a Harley.

If you're smart, rent a Gold Wing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

klr 650.
    david corr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6'1, 160lbs. 24 y/o. Goldwings and Harleys need not apply.

Riding experience is limited (read: dirtbikes younger). Intention is to give the bike a thorough baptism-by-fire for a month before going (as well as requisite MSF courses), and make use of the brother-in-law with a penchant for teaching.

Routes will preferably be backroads, travelling light - backpack only.

I'm not entirely opposed to a UJM...I can't say I've ever dug the cruiser aesthetic, but am drawn to the cafe racer. I already ride in a low-slung position for five hours a day, so I'm not opposed to riding something low/twitchy, but something light would be preferable. CB750s are on my radar, as ar FZR 600s, and I just saw a pretty GPZ 750 that had been hacked apart for cheap.

BMW Rs are attractive, but tend to be on the more spendy side. Remember, my local market gravitates more towards "summer ride", less towards "functional appliance", so there isn't a plethora of SVs about. Lots of Harleys and liter sport bikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a self serving plug, but look at things like the Yamaha fz1 or Kawasaki ZRX (I have a ZRX). Somewhat UJM in riding position. The ZRX looks like a GPZ, but has more modern suspension, tires and motor. Both the Yamaha and Kaw are super reliable and as fast as you will need. The ZRX has a big fat power and and is easy to ride. The price son used ones in nice shape is near your target. It is big...so being over six feet helps with the ergos on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1980's BMW R bike; as mentioned, you can't go wrong with the R80. Or any K bike from the same era, although these are kinda considered collectables now. Indestructible and stylish- oozes class. Cost might be an issue, though.
    If you're into constantly fixing cheap, noisy, ugly crap, go Harley (sorry. had to say it).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ninja 250, pre-2007, with a +1 countersprocket.

They're cheap, reliable, happy to run 70 on the highway, ubiquitous, comfortable, cheap, and cheap. You can also get SW-Motech racks for a Givi case for them.

In this case, it really is about the ride, not the bike. A Ninja 250 will tour just fine and will be a good commuter and run-about thereafter. And if you don't like it, it has 100% resale value.

I have three bikes and 165,000 miles of motorcycling experience, and I can still have a lot of fun on a Ninja.

Btw, I have some Alpinestars MX-1 leathers and an Aerostich Roadcrafter jacket that I could sell you. I'm 6', 163 lbs. More than happy to trade for bicycle parts!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    They're cheap, reliable, happy to run 70 on the highway, ubiquitous, comfortable, cheap, and cheap. You can also get SW-Motech racks for a Givi case for them.
    In this case, it really is about the ride, not the bike. A Ninja 250 will tour just fine and will be a good commuter and run-about thereafter. And if you don't like it, it has 100% resale value.
    I have three bikes and 165,000 miles of motorcycling experience, and I can still have a lot of fun on a Ninja.
    Admittedly, I'm a European motorcycle snob, but I could get on board with this. Sound advice at a good price point, and there's a Honda shop in every small city across the country.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post

Btw, I have some Alpinestars MX-1 leathers and an Aerostich Roadcrafter jacket that I could sell you. I'm 6', 163 lbs. More than happy to trade for bicycle parts!!

+1

The Ninja 250 is an excellent bike. Great for beginners. Great for budget racers. Just plain great.

Do it.

Page 1 of 75 1234567891011 ... LastLast