Page 8 of 75 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Motorcycles.

If you've got an R100RS or RT, an FXRS-SP or -Conv or FXRT, or a Tonti-frame Guzzi (especially a 1000SP) you'd like to sell, let me know. I need something new old.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

brand new to the world of motorcycles here.

i just bought a brand new ('12 leftover) cbr250 for what i consider to be a great price. it's a great little bike from my perspective. having owned it for a little bit now, i'm amazed small displacement motos are not more popular for commuting and getting around. on a recent 260 mile round trip to the jersey shore, i calculated 81mpg.

so that's 81mpg for a vehicle that cost under $3500 brand spankin new, and is a joke to insure. why doesnt everyone own one of these??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    brand new to the world of motorcycles here.

so that's 81mpg for a vehicle that cost under $3500 brand spankin new, and is a joke to insure. why doesnt everyone own one of these??
    Because the US has no graduated licensing like other (very sensible) countries, motorcycles are all about Harley/power/noise/image in the US of A, and are not viewed of as a legitimate means of practical transportation.

My SV650s gets about 58 mpg, and I've been nothing but happy with it. I've looked at that Honda -- nice bike. Just remember, it's a whole lot more fun to ride a small bike fast than a big bike slow.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why doesnt everyone own one of these??
    It's just so hard to text all my friends and go on facebook when I'm riding my moto.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does the CBR250R cost $1k less than a CRF250L?

Same engine, CBR even has the better plastics, bigger market, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because they want to pry some of the Kawi market share away with the mini-viffer.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, site says $4199 MSRP, which puts it in line w/ the 250R. That makes more sense (but is still cheaper than the CRF! damn you Honda).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my little 250R

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about "fit". Bicycles seem to be infinitely adjustable, motos, not so much. Being that this is my first motorcycle, my only frame of reference for being "comfortable" while being draped over some scaffolding is from my bicycles.

I'm 5'6", and I run about a 6cm drop on my road bike, and I find it comfortable up to 100 mi or so. My hardtail is about even bars and saddle.

The new Ducati Monsters have some weird ergos, the rearsets are further back than a normal sport standard, but "saddle-to-bar" reach seems really short. My arms are at ~135 deg when keeping my back straight and it feels awkward (and I'm 5'5).

Would it be stupid to get some clip-ons and get my weight further forward and lower? I get that "it's setup for city riding", and upright aids in visibility and quick action on the bars, but I certainly feel like more weight forward could lead to more comfort despite being more aggressive. Am I wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Hm. Monsters used to have a (too long) front center for city riding...no you're not wrong. The faster you go, the more forward lean you need.

If you don't spend much time above, say, 45mph maybe the reach is ok, but the rear sets may be wrong.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why doesnt everyone own one of these??
    I've thought about getting one as a cheap/fun commuter, but haven't, mostly because I've concluded that I'm significantly more likely to get seriously injured or killed riding it than I am in my car. The risks I take riding 0.25 HP two-wheelers are enough for me, no sense pushing my luck any more than I have to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zimmerman, WCU, WayneJ:

I have a line on a very nice '86 monolever R80RT - 50k miles, full service records from Max BMW, clean rider. Always been intrigued by airheads... Not a motorcycle newbie (have had 10+ over 19 years and 180,000 miles) and will definitely ride it before I decide, but how agricultural should I expect this thing to be? It'll be used for commuting, fun rides, and maybe a few solo tours. Or even two up tours when my son is old enough to reach the passenger pegs.

I'm past the boy racer days (been there, done that) and presently log most of my miles on a Ninja 250, so the 50hp doesn't bother me, but, well, I don't really want a Massey Ferguson 240, either. Other than the charging system, anything else I need to be particularly aware of on mid-eighties airheads?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd expect that BMW to be adequately powered and have soft suspension. They can be hustled pretty well with a smooth operator. It would be a nice counterpart to that ninja, as it would be great for longer trips. The shaft drive and engine layout means that there is different feedback going into the driveline and chassis than you are accustomed to now with an inline with a chain drive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! I've actually had an oilhead - R11S so I'm familiar with the driveline layout, but obviously oilhead vs airhead, paralever vs monolever, telelever vs telescopic fork, fuel injection vs Bing so loads of differences. I guess my fundamental question is "is an R100RT a slow, maintenance-intensive, practical touring bike or am I out of my mind thinking about a tractor like that and I should just get a Connie 1000 instead?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never had an air head, but have always wanted one. I think that in a way it is sort of a re-enactor bike in that you do need to deal with its idiosyncrasies and funkiness. If you have had lots of bikes, you should have one for a while, just because. I have a 4 cyl Kawasaki. It makes lots of power. It goes. It is mechanically very unfunny.

My take, if you can get a hold of a well sorted airhead, do it. There is always a new home for one if it is not for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, that's what I figure. I'm picking it up on Tuesday. For the price, I ought to be able to re-sell it any time in the next ten years at a loss which is less than two good tubulars. 5000-mile valve adjust are the same as my Ninja (and you don't have to pull the tank). And how hard can a spline-lube really be? I'll try this, and if it's too weird after a year or two, I'll swap it for a ZG1000.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The valve adjust on the airhead is probably easier than the ninja. My understanding is that it is a DIY for someone with reasonable wrench skills.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Christian...ride report.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marginally on topic and I can't understand a word Guy Martin says, but this appeals to me.

Found this on the Sideblog @ http://sideburnmag.blogspot.com/
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any Ducati owners here? Is there any reason why a Monster 620 wouldn't make a fun commuter bike?