User Tag List

Page 55 of 76 FirstFirst ... 454647484950515253545556575859606162636465 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1504

Thread: Motorcycles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Motorcycles.

The current liberty is fuel injected as well in the 125cc version. Most european countries don't have the 150cc version as it can't be driven with a car licence like the 125cc, and if you need a licence, why not go bigger anyway ?
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    The current liberty is fuel injected as well in the 125cc version. Most european countries don't have the 150cc version as it can't be driven with a car licence like the 125cc, and if you need a licence, why not go bigger anyway ?
    Interesting because most states in the USA require a motorcycle license for anything that goes above 25-30mph which often includes anything 49cc and bigger. Unlike most European countries, we do not have separate levels so once you have a motorcycle license, you can drive one of any size. I always find it funny, and very scary, that many people pass the test on a scooter or 125cc motorcycle and then go purchase a larger Harley or 900cc Sportbike and have no idea how to actually manage motorcycles that size and displacement. The Europe licensing model is better and safer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm going to be switching things up yet again, selling my Bobber for a Speed Twin. anyone have any experience with the speed twin? i'm not expecting too much difference on the engine side of things, but the ride position and torque seem more my speed now that i've tried out sport and cruiser options over the past few years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
    Give up cycling, keep riding the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spotted at the yacht club...
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Interesting because most states in the USA require a motorcycle license for anything that goes above 25-30mph which often includes anything 49cc and bigger. Unlike most European countries, we do not have separate levels so once you have a motorcycle license, you can drive one of any size. I always find it funny, and very scary, that many people pass the test on a scooter or 125cc motorcycle and then go purchase a larger Harley or 900cc Sportbike and have no idea how to actually manage motorcycles that size and displacement. The Europe licensing model is better and safer.
    Just drove to the grocery this morning and passed a Harley down in a ditch along the main east-west route in an area that is basically straight and flat. Figure it happened during the massive downpour last evening. Didn't look like a wreck. Might have pulled over in the rain and then the bike slid down the side of the ditch. As heavy as those things are, once they get going in one direction there isn't much stopping them.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Just drove to the grocery this morning and passed a Harley down in a ditch along the main east-west route in an area that is basically straight and flat. Figure it happened during the massive downpour last evening. Didn't look like a wreck. Might have pulled over in the rain and then the bike slid down the side of the ditch. As heavy as those things are, once they get going in one direction there isn't much stopping them.
    Hope the person was not hurt.

That scenario should not have been a problem for an experienced motorcyclist who would know the first 30 minutes in a rainstorm is the most dangerous because that is when the oil and other fluids (dripped on the roads by cars) comes up out of the roadway and makes everything very slick. You either slow down and take it easy while avoiding the center part of your lane or you pull over and wait it out for about 30 minutes (or until the rain stops).

Not to generalize but often the bigger the bike, the less skill the rider has to keep themselves and those around them safe. And as I learned in all 4 of the training classes I attended in the 8 years I was riding almost every day, years of riding does not always equal better skill since most often riders are just repeating the same bad habits day after day.

In the USA, all you need to do is prove that you can "safely" ride any size bike in a parking lot at speeds less than 20mph to become a "licensed" motorcyclist and then you can purchase and ride whatever size/displacement motorcycle you want on public roads.

In much of Europe, motorcycle licenses are graduated by engine size/displacement and each level requires another road test so very few people have the patience for all the testing and/or the skill to get licensed for the larger displacement sizes. Those that do, are often much better prepared (than riders in the USA) when they purchase and ride larger motorcycles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3+ months without traveling "stuck" in Provence and the Harley bug is back. I have been wanting a Harley here for quite a few years and never made it happen mostly because I am not here a whole lot so it was hard to justify. Anyway, this would be used strictly for cruising when the weather is good. The occasional trip in the Alps, etc... Background I do not even have the motorcycle driving license yet :) Never owned a motorcycle either but rode on a few mostly off road 30 years ago.

Love the look of a fat boy or fat bob. Getting the bike is at least half of the appeal. Always like the sound of air cooled V2. Can buy a small helmet and a harley leather jacket.

Many more rational choices than a fat boy. I get that, this would not be rationally driven purchase.

What do you guys say ? For my usage is the softail fat boy / fat bob a good choice in the harley extensive line up ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keeping in mind that everything is relative, the Street bob handles much better than the Fatboy. The extra wide rear tire on the Fatboy looks cool but makes it a bitch to lean over and turn.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got this 790 in March and it has made quarantine a riot.
    IMG_4701-2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
    Keeping in mind that everything is relative, the Street bob handles much better than the Fatboy. The extra wide rear tire on the Fatboy looks cool but makes it a bitch to lean over and turn.
    Right, I guess the fat bob has also a narrower tire. I guess it's not like bike fashion where wider is better :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Right, I guess the fat bob has also a narrower tire. I guess it's not like bike fashion where wider is better :)
    With our stature and all the amazing mixed terrain roads available to you I'd suggest a BMWGSA. They handle like a dream and are capable on or off road. Kind of a unicorn moto. Not to mention they are wicked reliable.

Look for a well loved used GSA up to year 2012 is a safe bet.

If you want to make it loud, just install some fancy Italian carbon fiber pipes.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 07-13-2020 at 01:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    With our stature and all the amazing mixed terrain roads available to you I'd suggest a BMWGSA. They handle like a dream and are capable on or off road. Kind of a unicorn moto. Not to mention they are wicked reliable.

Look for a well loved used GSA up to year 2012 is a safe bet.

If you want to make it loud, just install some fancy Italian carbon fiber pipes.
    This would be way too rational. Zero intention of going off-road. I am sort of dead set on a Harley. Must be the american in me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This would be way too rational. Zero intention of going off-road. I am sort of dead set on a Harley. Must be the american in me.
    you on a harley? i cant picture it. leather vest and stahlhelm?

bmw please

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by funcrusher View Post
    you on a harley? i cant picture it. leather vest and stahlhelm?

bmw please
    I'm liking the leather vest. The BMW roadster are nice for sure.

I am wondering new harley vs older one too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re the Harley, rent one first. I've ridden both and for ages was convinced I really "needed" a loud Harley with ape hangars. My point regarding the BMW GSA dual capabilities was just to show versatility. Mine has the equivalent of Michelin Cup tires. They are tall and extremely capable.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 07-13-2020 at 02:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure I will plan to ride a few different Harleys first of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure I will plan to ride a few different Harleys first of course.
    Is there such thing as a State sponsored "Motorcycle Safety Course" available? That was my intro. to motos many years ago and will never forget the lessons it taught me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3+ months without traveling "stuck" in Provence.....
    That must have been hell. Perfect weather, amazing food and wine and stunning scenery. I’m sure it was miserable.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm liking the leather vest. The BMW roadster are nice for sure.

I am wondering new harley vs older one too.
    Newer Harley. 2018 + Softail with the Milwaukee 8 motor and new frame. Take a look at a Softail Heritage classic, handles reasonably well, has an easily removable windshield, and comes with saddle bags big enough for a rain suit and a couple of bottles of wine.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    That must have been hell. Perfect weather, amazing food and wine and stunning scenery. I’m sure it was miserable.
    Terrible indeed