User Tag List

Page 41 of 76 FirstFirst ... 313233343536373839404142434445464748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Motorcycles.

And about 40 pounds lighter too?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe not quite that much, but yes, a lot lighter. :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice. Does it have a carbon filter somewhere?
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmech13 View Post
    Nice. Does it have a carbon filter somewhere?
    Not the H-pipe - it's just a connection for the exhaust gases to go from the cylinders to the main mufflers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had an Akropovic that had a can fit between the under body pipes and the main exhaust.

With the canister and no baffle the bike was almost tolerable. (parallel twin)

Without it and no baffle I would make car alarms go off from blocks away.

Needless to say I only rode it that way for a few weeks until I couldn't take it any more. Still made me giggle though when I goosed it down town though.
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    Well, I'm not sure if my neighbors will approve, but today I received the H-pipe for my '01 Aprilia RST-1000 (aka Futura).
    I had gotten the Staintune cans off e-bay a while back, so now I'm ready to turn it from something that sounds like a sewing machine to something just a bit louder.

About what it will sound like:

H-pipe vs "breadbox" that's currently in there. (not mine)

how can you even tell the difference? they look exactly the same. :)

i'm thinking about an exhaust for my Supersport- not because I care about an extra 4hp or i like dumb loud shit (i really don't on bikes)- but because i was lane splitting the other day when all of a sudden some Nomad on Panhead with hacksawed headers for exhaust pulled in front of me. that fucker may as well have been Moses and the traffic was the red sea. cars in both the left and middle lanes just moved away form him and it was like we had a whole lane for ourselves.

with my bike- they don't hear me or notice me and i have to take lane splitting pretty conservatively so i don't get clipped- even though my bike is about as narrow as they come. this fucking Harley though with its giant ape hangers and super wide forward floor boards could comfortably lane split at 80 because his motorcycle made him sound like an asshole. i've always hated loud pipes but now i think i get them. in a perfect world i guess i'd have siren that i could turn on and off though. :)
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loud pipes totally save lives bro........
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had an Akropovic that had a can fit between the under body pipes and the main exhaust.

Needless to say I only rode it that way for a few weeks until I couldn't take it any more. Still made me giggle though when I goosed it down town though.
    The Staintunes I got off ebay didn't come with the restrictor inserts, but I'm definitely going to get some so I can tone things down if necessary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just mounted an SC Project S1 on my 765RS. It's basically a MotoGP style open pipe with megaphone. Sounds amazing but I must admit even with earplugs it hurts at numbers above 5000RPM. 106 db. It's beautiful, but is coming off and on to ebay soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
    I had one of these. It scared the shit out of me when we did an 80mph accidental wheelie topping a roller. I figured I'd probably die if I kept it so I swapped it for a hypermotard. I'm still alive. But best of luck with it and be careful.
    Looking at a 1098 vs Hypermotard for suburban commuting and some 20-40 mile rides, some freeway. Any comments on ownership of one vs. the other over time?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    Looking at a 1098 vs Hypermotard for suburban commuting and some 20-40 mile rides, some freeway. Any comments on ownership of one vs. the other over time?
    Yes, in my view, for commuting its a no brainer. I wouldn't consider a 1098 for anything other than riding on a track and possible canyon riding although a 1098 has so much power and corners so quickly that you have to ride it at a ludicrous pace to have fun on it. In addition, the underseat exhaust will roast your nuts if you don't have at least a 40mph wind venting away exhaust heat. A hyper on the other hand is much more comfortable for riding around. The more upright position allows you better visibility and comfort and you don't need to corner as fast as on a 1098 to have fun.

My own recommendation however would be a multistrada. They are more sophisticated that a hyper and offer a pretty good seat, well engineered wind protection, great brakes and traction control, a button that changes throttle mapping and suspension setting (invaluable when I rode the lost coast hwy a few years back), optional nice luggage. I found my multi much faster and far more comfortable than my hyper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, in my view, for commuting its a no brainer. I wouldn't consider a 1098 for anything other than riding on a track and possible canyon riding although a 1098 has so much power and corners so quickly that you have to ride it at a ludicrous pace to have fun on it. In addition, the underseat exhaust will roast your nuts if you don't have at least a 40mph wind venting away exhaust heat. A hyper on the other hand is much more comfortable for riding around. The more upright position allows you better visibility and comfort and you don't need to corner as fast as on a 1098 to have fun.
    It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. There's nothing fun about taking a bike that's made for taking sweepers at 80mph and tooling around streets dealing with cagers at 40 and below.

My own recommendation however would be a multistrada. They are more sophisticated that a hyper and offer a pretty good seat, well engineered wind protection, great brakes and traction control, a button that changes throttle mapping and suspension setting (invaluable when I rode the lost coast hwy a few years back), optional nice luggage. I found my multi much faster and far more comfortable than my hyper.
    I've got a mini-multi ('06 Multistrada 620), and I've really enjoyed it. New 900's and up are a far better evolution, but it's light and fun. Front end response is not even comparable to my older track-oriented ride -- far more street friendly.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Tollefson View Post
    It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. There's nothing fun about taking a bike that's made for taking sweepers at 80mph and tooling around streets dealing with cagers at 40 and below.

I've got a mini-multi ('06 Multistrada 620), and I've really enjoyed it. New 900's and up are a far better evolution, but it's light and fun. Front end response is not even comparable to my older track-oriented ride -- far more street friendly.
    That's funny. I used to own a Multi 620. It was great, had bags, looked cool, was totally useful. I got out of motorcycling a few years ago and sold it and am thinking about getting back into it. This time I thought I'd get something a little sexier as I'll be looking at it as much as riding it and WTH anyway. Sounds like the 1098 isn't too much fun, I understand that one of the water cooled multis probably makes the most sense.

What do we think about the streetfighter 848?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotcha, your comments make a lot of sense. If I don't want to go Multistrada, what do you think about a streetfighter 848?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    Gotcha, your comments make a lot of sense. If I don't want to go Multistrada, what do you think about a streetfighter 848?
    Haven't ridden one but they look badass and a lot of fun. I rode one of the bigger streetfighters a few years ago and thought it was a nice bike, kind of a hyper hyper if you get my drift. I do recall the seat threw me pretty far forward but you should sit on one or better yet take one for a ride and see how it works for you. Bikes are so personal and so varied you really need to use your own judgment and figure out what works best for you in the context of how you intend to use it.

I thought it would be fun to be in the open air and bought a water cooled monster and later a hyper before realizing that for the kind of rides I do and with my body type I was much better off with a multi that offered some comfort and wind and weather protection that a bike with more exposure, and with a decent seat to peg distance so my legs weren't so cramped.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so i want to get a second motorcycle to compliment my 2017 Ducati Supersport S. We want something that we can use for two-up riding and going for long trips a lot of which will involve highway slogs but also some nice two lane roads and going out into the desert for the weekend etc. etc. Something I could take out on to dirt roads by myself sounds cool too- although I'll probably never do that.

The bikes on my short list were the BMW R1200GS, the KTM 1090 Super Adventure, and the Triumh Tiger. I didn't really like the ergonomics of the Ducati Multistrada and their super expensive too- and I already have a Ducati.

Fast forward a bit- and I was lucky enough to get to ride a Moto-Guzzi Stelvio and a BMW R1200GS Adventure. I know the BMW is the benchmark for this type of bike, and Kate liked the seating position alot- which is great. She hasn't sat on any of the others- but that Stelvio was an amazing bike. I like the engine and the gear box better than the BMW- the clutch feel was better for me- and I think it looks cool and different- and it's literally $10,000 cheaper.

The KTM is a lot more capable a bike off road and has a ton more power- but something appeals to me about the Guzzi and it's shaft drive and the look and feel. I haven't been able to ride the KTM though so who knows it could blow me away.

Anyway- I was talking with my old man who is really into bikes. he has a Honda F6B that he's ridden from Florida to San Diego and back, ridden it to Laconia bike week from Florida etc. He is into riding long distances and he said that I should look at a Gold Wing or a cruiser because those are the best bike for two up riding long distances. Honestly, this kind of bike doesn't need to be cool- it just needs to be comfy for Kate, and comfy for me on long highway slogs. I'd never even thought about those kind of bikes. To me they were just a seperate breed of vehicle but I figured it was worth a shot. So yesterday, my awesome bike sho- GP Motorcycles, was having a Aprilia and Guzzi demo day and I signed up to ride three bikes. I picked the Stelvio and the big Guzzi California 1400 touring bike. I needed to pick a third but we'll come to that later---

Anyway- this is the California: California 14 Touring - Moto Guzzi To me it is a sharp looking cruiser compared to most of what Harley, Indian, and the Japanese are offering in this category. It clicks all the boxes insofar as it is comfortable for two, has all the electronic bells and whistles, has ample wind protection, and it'll cruise at highway speeds. I rod it for about an hour on all sorts of roads- but a lot of hightway. Firstly, I HATED the floorboards and the way the shifting worked. I couldn't get comfortable with it at all. The bike is also so wide that I couldn't comfortably lane split but that's to be expected. It actually handled really well- it concerned fine- actually better than some standards. I think it would be a fine bike for our purposes with a different shifter and peg set-up- but I really don't want it and I'd never ride it without having too because Kate and I were touring.

Then I rode the Stelvio again. This thing is just a really, really nice competent bike. It's a shame that Euro4 killed it and I hope Guzzi replaces it with something similar. These big enduro bikes handle really well, they cruise nicely, and they can do some jeep roads and fire road stuff. Kate also likes the pillion position. Both the Guzzi and the R1200GS are kind of boring bikes- but once you get on an open road- you just don't want to stop. They're awesome at simply eating up the miles and they're real motorcycles. I rode the Stelvio for about 40 minutes and came away convinced this was the bike for us. I can get one for 11-12 grand vesus 18-25 for a comparable BMW- I have a great shop to support an off brand motorcycle- and I like the idea of being an Italian bike family! i need to sell a bunch more bikes so i can actually start paying myself and this purchase is probably 6 months to a year off- but that's ok. it gives me something to look forward to and i'm lucky enough to have a great "me" motorcycle right now.

The third bike I rode was the stupidest, biggest mistake I could have made. I decided to try the Aprilia RSV4. Holy fucking fuck was that bike a revelation. Everything about it- the cornering, the power, the brakes, the position, the weight and handling was beyond phenomenal- the bike was simply perfect. I have a quick shifter on my Duc and love it- I think I'd be hard pressed to own any motorcycle without one- if/when I get a Stelvio-I'll fit an aftermarket one for sure- but the way the quick shifter and the clutch and the gear box work on the RSV4 is simply amazing. I literally was able to take 25mph off ramps with confidence at whatever speed I wished. The only limitation was how far the bike would lean. Squirting in and out of holes in traffic was a revelation- my Duc has plenty of power (115hp) and is very small- but this thing has not only 100 more hp- but the bars are narrower, the bike handles so much better, and it just made me a far better rider. I could easily do things on this bike I had never even considered possible for me. It was like an extension of my body and almost behaved telepathically.

I can not believe a motorcle- nah- human built object could be this fucking perfect. i'm amazed and almost angry about it. I want this thing in a way that I have never wanted a material object before- and I get super obsessive about stuff and always want to own the ultimate or the best iteration of whatever I am into. But this RSV4 thing is literally SO much better than my Supersport I can't even begin to understand it. I love my Ducati- I am so much happier on it than I am doing just about anything else- but I can't believe what a difference there is.

I put low clip-ons on my Ducati and steepened up the head angle- I went with the Ohlins forks and shock, and that v twin engine is great. I test rode a 959 Panigale before I bought my Supersport- and I liked the engine and power band better on the Supersport for some reason- I'dalso never really lived with a high powered motorcycle before and maybe all real super bikes are this good- and I just didn't really know. I assumed they were too high strung for "just riding" and that my Supersport would be more practical and enjoyable for the street- but that 45 minutes I spent on the RSV4 was the BEST motorcycle ride I have ever done in my entire life and I was just riding on the 5 and the strand in Coronado. I used to track my old Ducati Monster and my old Honda Hawk- I go to Julian and ride on the some of the best twisty canyon desert roads in the world on my Supersport at least once a week- etc. etc. and a dumb test ride on a bike I wasn't even interested in just totally FUUUCKED me and my head. I can't believe how good that stupid bike is. I need to see how much I can get in trade on my Supersport.

Anyone want a nice Ducati Supersport S with 3500 miles on it for cheap?
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just how cheap? [My wife would slay me for even asking in jest.]

Yeah, that RSV4 is pure sex. I'd love to test one. I felt the same way just sitting on the KTM RC8 a few years back.

Bikes I wish were still on the market... Including the Wakan. My next bike will likely be a Ryca conversion of a Suzuki Savage.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    so i want to get a second motorcycle to compliment my 2017 Ducati Supersport S. We want something that we can use for two-up riding and going for long trips a lot of which will involve highway slogs but also some nice two lane roads and going out into the desert for the weekend etc. etc. Something I could take out on to dirt roads by myself sounds cool too- although I'll probably never do that.

The bikes on my short list were the BMW R1200GS, the KTM 1090 Super Adventure, and the Triumh Tiger. I didn't really like the ergonomics of the Ducati Multistrada and their super expensive too- and I already have a Ducati.

Fast forward a bit- and I was lucky enough to get to ride a Moto-Guzzi Stelvio and a BMW R1200GS Adventure. I know the BMW is the benchmark for this type of bike, and Kate liked the seating position alot- which is great. She hasn't sat on any of the others- but that Stelvio was an amazing bike. I like the engine and the gear box better than the BMW- the clutch feel was better for me- and I think it looks cool and different- and it's literally $10,000 cheaper.

The KTM is a lot more capable a bike off road and has a ton more power- but something appeals to me about the Guzzi and it's shaft drive and the look and feel. I haven't been able to ride the KTM though so who knows it could blow me away.

Anyway- I was talking with my old man who is really into bikes. he has a Honda F6B that he's ridden from Florida to San Diego and back, ridden it to Laconia bike week from Florida etc. He is into riding long distances and he said that I should look at a Gold Wing or a cruiser because those are the best bike for two up riding long distances. Honestly, this kind of bike doesn't need to be cool- it just needs to be comfy for Kate, and comfy for me on long highway slogs. I'd never even thought about those kind of bikes. To me they were just a seperate breed of vehicle but I figured it was worth a shot. So yesterday, my awesome bike sho- GP Motorcycles, was having a Aprilia and Guzzi demo day and I signed up to ride three bikes. I picked the Stelvio and the big Guzzi California 1400 touring bike. I needed to pick a third but we'll come to that later---

Anyway- this is the California: California 14 Touring - Moto Guzzi To me it is a sharp looking cruiser compared to most of what Harley, Indian, and the Japanese are offering in this category. It clicks all the boxes insofar as it is comfortable for two, has all the electronic bells and whistles, has ample wind protection, and it'll cruise at highway speeds. I rod it for about an hour on all sorts of roads- but a lot of hightway. Firstly, I HATED the floorboards and the way the shifting worked. I couldn't get comfortable with it at all. The bike is also so wide that I couldn't comfortably lane split but that's to be expected. It actually handled really well- it concerned fine- actually better than some standards. I think it would be a fine bike for our purposes with a different shifter and peg set-up- but I really don't want it and I'd never ride it without having too because Kate and I were touring.

Then I rode the Stelvio again. This thing is just a really, really nice competent bike. It's a shame that Euro4 killed it and I hope Guzzi replaces it with something similar. These big enduro bikes handle really well, they cruise nicely, and they can do some jeep roads and fire road stuff. Kate also likes the pillion position. Both the Guzzi and the R1200GS are kind of boring bikes- but once you get on an open road- you just don't want to stop. They're awesome at simply eating up the miles and they're real motorcycles. I rode the Stelvio for about 40 minutes and came away convinced this was the bike for us. I can get one for 11-12 grand vesus 18-25 for a comparable BMW- I have a great shop to support an off brand motorcycle- and I like the idea of being an Italian bike family! i need to sell a bunch more bikes so i can actually start paying myself and this purchase is probably 6 months to a year off- but that's ok. it gives me something to look forward to and i'm lucky enough to have a great "me" motorcycle right now.

The third bike I rode was the stupidest, biggest mistake I could have made. I decided to try the Aprilia RSV4. Holy fucking fuck was that bike a revelation. Everything about it- the cornering, the power, the brakes, the position, the weight and handling was beyond phenomenal- the bike was simply perfect. I have a quick shifter on my Duc and love it- I think I'd be hard pressed to own any motorcycle without one- if/when I get a Stelvio-I'll fit an aftermarket one for sure- but the way the quick shifter and the clutch and the gear box work on the RSV4 is simply amazing. I literally was able to take 25mph off ramps with confidence at whatever speed I wished. The only limitation was how far the bike would lean. Squirting in and out of holes in traffic was a revelation- my Duc has plenty of power (115hp) and is very small- but this thing has not only 100 more hp- but the bars are narrower, the bike handles so much better, and it just made me a far better rider. I could easily do things on this bike I had never even considered possible for me. It was like an extension of my body and almost behaved telepathically.

I can not believe a motorcle- nah- human built object could be this fucking perfect. i'm amazed and almost angry about it. I want this thing in a way that I have never wanted a material object before- and I get super obsessive about stuff and always want to own the ultimate or the best iteration of whatever I am into. But this RSV4 thing is literally SO much better than my Supersport I can't even begin to understand it. I love my Ducati- I am so much happier on it than I am doing just about anything else- but I can't believe what a difference there is.

I put low clip-ons on my Ducati and steepened up the head angle- I went with the Ohlins forks and shock, and that v twin engine is great. I test rode a 959 Panigale before I bought my Supersport- and I liked the engine and power band better on the Supersport for some reason- I'dalso never really lived with a high powered motorcycle before and maybe all real super bikes are this good- and I just didn't really know. I assumed they were too high strung for "just riding" and that my Supersport would be more practical and enjoyable for the street- but that 45 minutes I spent on the RSV4 was the BEST motorcycle ride I have ever done in my entire life and I was just riding on the 5 and the strand in Coronado. I used to track my old Ducati Monster and my old Honda Hawk- I go to Julian and ride on the some of the best twisty canyon desert roads in the world on my Supersport at least once a week- etc. etc. and a dumb test ride on a bike I wasn't even interested in just totally FUUUCKED me and my head. I can't believe how good that stupid bike is. I need to see how much I can get in trade on my Supersport.

Anyone want a nice Ducati Supersport S with 3500 miles on it for cheap?
    OMG, you just convinced me that I have to get an RSV4 as my commuter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    ...But this RSV4 thing is literally SO much better than my Supersport I can't even begin to understand it. I love my Ducati- I am so much happier on it than I am doing just about anything else- but I can't believe what a difference there is.
    Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
    Seriously. They are a great shop. And such a great resource for anyone interested in Aprilia.

I love the fact that Aprilia publishes this document and AF1 makes it so readily available.
    RSV4 2017 MM RACE KIT
    From mild to wild, the RSV4 is a helluv a platform. Contact Micah at AF1 racing. He will set you on the right path, should you desire non-stock experiences.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 for AF1. Those folks are awesome to deal with.

I need more space in the garage, so I'm reluctantly parting with my Shiver 750. Every experience I've had with AF1 has made owning this bike a joy.