User Tag List

Page 34 of 76 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Motorcycles.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    Assuming you're riding to a destination to go cycling, something like a trail-head or a park, what do you do with your moto gear (helmet, jacket, pants, boots, etc) when you're off riding the bicycle and how do you keep it safe?
    Answering my own question, has anyone ever used one of these, and if so, how did it work out?

Destination Pack- Universal
    The Destination Pack™ is a 44 liter portable se

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very cool.

Assuming you're riding to a destination to go cycling, something like a trail-head or a park, what do you do with your moto gear (helmet, jacket, pants, boots, etc) when you're off riding the bicycle and how do you keep it safe?
    controversial response:
    most of the places i would haul the bike to would mean 15-30 miles away and taking roads with max speed limits of 45mph, single lanes. i'd likely only be wearing a helmet for gear (only own a helmet and jacket for gear anyway). i know it's controversial, but when i ride my pedal bike, on the many descents i ride, my fat ass hits 40+ on a bike with brakes that would do slim to nothing but skid, and im only protected by spandex...i guess i figure the moto hosts an equivalent risk of riding my bike if i don't get on the highway..and to a large extent i feel safer on the moto than on my pedal bike because i can keep pace with traffic and have much better brakes.
    but, to more directly answer your question: biking shorts, a jersey, and a helmet, so would only have to strap the helmet to the moto. if i travel further, i'll likely be meeting up with someone and would toss my riding gear in their vehicle. if it's to an event, i probably know someone with a tent i can leave my stuff at.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
    Give up cycling, keep riding the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seanile View Post
    controversial response:
    I'm still a newbie on the moto, so I figure if it's likely to help, I'll wear it. (tougher to do in 95* + humidity weather)

Thanks for the reply.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still a newbie on the moto, so I figure if it's likely to help, I'll wear it. (tougher to do in 95* + humidity weather)

Thanks for the reply.
    Yawta see what the off-roaders wear down here in Baja, even during our summers. They look like they're going into combat in Afghanistan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Thompson View Post
    Yawta see what the off-roaders wear down here in Baja, even during our summers. They look like they're going into combat in Afghanistan.
    Like these guys?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorta but with more elbow and knee pads and what looks like ballistic nylon pants. They'll go from one side of the Baja peninsula to the other and back, over 5,000~7,000 ft mountains, through some very rugged shit and tell you they had a great day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

weather in NYC area has been ultra fantastic as of late. been burning the miles down. this bike is absolutely fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, those scramblers are great city machines.

Personally I have only ridden a few Ducati's over the past couple of years.

There not really my cup of tea. The motors have just a little too much character.

That being said I think the Scrambler series is a total home run and a very practical bike.

I'd love if they made one just a little bit bigger in size not CC but in actual physical size.
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Re: Motorcycles.

When I graduated college in '06, the first thing I wanted to buy after getting my first job was a mc. I completed the 3 day MSF course to get my license. And being young and dumb, instead of buying a 250 or, at most, a middleweight standard, I opted for a Kawasaki ZX6R (636). It was probably the best of the middleweight supersport bikes at the time. I had a blast on it, hard leanin' as far and as fast I could...then target fixation hit, literally. Totaled that bike just 9 months after getting it. No more riding for me...

It's been more than 9 years, and one should hope to be 9 years wiser. So I bought a new-to-me '09 EX500 with 5,500 miles. It took some convincing to my wife and family, but they reluctantly agreed. I assured them that cycling has helped me be more aware of my surroundings and promised to be safer. I also want to do it right this time--took a refresher course, getting a good middleweight bike, and just being smart.

I've put more than 400 miles on it just riding the past 2 weekends--mostly riding aimlessly and getting more comfortable with having a motor between my legs again. It's a great bike to learn and grow on as there's enough power to have fun with.

If there are others in the NYC area that wants to get together, let me know! I'm in Manhattan but keep the bike at my dad's in Queens.

Looking forward to many more miles on this thing. Safe leanin' all!

IMG_8480.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gary if you want to ride up in Westchester and upstate, I ride with a couple other guys from Chappaqua. Speaking of motorcycles, I rode my bike today for the first time since 8/15 when I broke my leg. I am happy to report that riding with a soft boot works fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gary_a_gooner View Post
    It took some convincing to my wife and family, but they reluctantly agreed. I assured them that cycling has helped me be more aware of my surroundings and promised to be safer.
    But did you tell them that the reason one has to always be aware of your surroundings, especially on the moto, is that if you aren't the chances of something very bad happening go way, way up? ;)

I'm a newbie, but on nearly every ride I realize how much smaller the margin for error is on the motorcycle compared to the bicycle. Maybe after years and years you guys have ended up like Valentino Rossi and can carve corners purely on instinct, but I'm still at the point where I'm constantly thinking about what's going on, preparing my mind and body position for each series of turns. On a pedal bike that was an issue only on a handful of downhills. On the moto it happens throughout the ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    Gary if you want to ride up in Westchester and upstate, I ride with a couple other guys from Chappaqua. Speaking of motorcycles, I rode my bike today for the first time since 8/15 when I broke my leg. I am happy to report that riding with a soft boot works fine.
    Firstly, glad to hear you're back up and running after your injury. Secondly, thanks!!--I'll definitely take you up on the offer. I've ridden up there plenty on my bicycle, so I'm a little familiar with the roads. But I still depended on GPS, which I do want to pick up for the MC next season. I'll shoot you a PM.

But did you tell them that the reason one has to always be aware of your surroundings, especially on the moto, is that if you aren't the chances of something very bad happening go way, way up? ;)
    You need to be 100% focused, on point, alert, etc. when on a mc--just because of speed alone. I'm more comparing it to being surrounded by cars and sharing the road...already being familiar with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ Mabouya.

In the last 3 years of riding moto's and logging somewhere around 15,000 miles on 3 different bikes, I've come to the realization that relaxing can really help.

I'm not saying to let your guard down but settle into the bike and try not to over think things to much.

Overthinking stuff is when I'm not having fun on the bike and I get to stiff making poor turns and bad stops.

Years of riding bicycles sure can help and I believe that balance and natural instincts play a big role in bike handling skills.

I spent some time on the track this year and my best laps where when I could just have fun and be loose.
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Christian, I agree - there have been times when I've felt "in the zone" and the turns felt natural and without much effort on my part (at, say, 10-15 mph over the limit) but unfortunately I can't maintain that for extended periods of time. I'd think that I'll improve with more time in the saddle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone please buy this. Want, pant . . . Must not get back into motorcycling . . .

MINT 21 MOTO GUZZI GRISO 12 ######

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been quiet in this thread for a while. You guys all out riding? I put on the heated vest and went and got this. First impressions: (1) it's unbelievable what you can get for $3500 in the depths of winter and (2) this thing really goes once you get it over 7,500 rpm.

Yamaha FZ1 with Ohlins damper, Corbin seats and Smuggler trunk, brand new tires, Ivan's fuel cut eliminator, and horrible, awful Coffman exhaust. I think we're one full Akrapovic system from a beautiful friendship though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Smuggler really looks great on the Fizzer. Nice.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    "...First impressions: (1) it's unbelievable what you can get for $3500 in the depths of winter and
    (2) this thing really goes once you get it over 7,500 rpm..."
    Don't tell me you bought that sweet motorcycle *new* for $3500. What a great steal!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those Yamaha five valve motors are pretty sweet. Super smooth and revvy. Does that have the cross plane crank like the R1?