Default Re: Motorcycles.

Oh, herro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

me thinks that you may blow your budget a bit on that....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    me thinks that you may blow your budget a bit on that....
    But he'll recoup it all when he sells it...

(assuming he doesn't wreck it first)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh he already got a bike. fwiw mine is somewhere on that site.

2.5k my ass!

That bike is the wrong color, apparently leaks oil, but has Termi's and looks great.

The cycling world has lost a budding star to motogp apparently.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jitahs View Post

The cycling world has lost a budding star to motogp apparently.
    It's ok, all those dudes ride the shit out of velocipedes. I remember, maybe five years ago, that even the 60 year old tire dude had a Time in the trailer.

My brother has a pair of Monsters. He's tried to talk me into getting one a couple times. I wouldn't mind having one, though I am motorbike ignorant by choice, since the last thing I need is another expensive thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cody.wms View Post
    It's ok, all those dudes ride the shit out of velocipedes. I remember, maybe five years ago, that even the 60 year old tire dude had a Time in the trailer.

My brother has a pair of Monsters. He's tried to talk me into getting one a couple times. I wouldn't mind having one, though I am motorbike ignorant by choice, since the last thing I need is another expensive thing.
    How'd you think I got back into mtb/road? Getting gassed on a dirt bike will tell you a lot how "fit" you think really are. Spesh has a neat sub-page of moto stars on bi-cycles.

Please to remain ignorant of Il Mostro; they don't ride like a...900ss/cr...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stumped. Not Kenny Roberts...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stumped. Not Kenny Roberts...
    I can't remember his name. It was the guy that ran the Dunlop? trailer at the races. Roadracing World called him the "Tire Tyrant" or something like that.

If anyone is really interested in the AMA Superbike guys and their pedal bikes, I can ask my bro the journalist, who covers that stuff.

(Now entering daydreaming mode)
    And what would you rec for the same q as the OP, 5-7K as the price range. Something cool, not "kill me" fast, and would likely be used for touring, but isn't a couch. TIA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't remember his name. It was the guy that ran the Dunlop? trailer at the races. Roadracing World called him the "Tire Tyrant" or something like that.

If anyone is really interested in the AMA Superbike guys and their pedal bikes, I can ask my bro the journalist, who covers that stuff.

And what would you rec for the same q as the OP, 5-7K as the price range. Something cool, not "kill me" fast, and would likely be used for touring, but isn't a couch. TIA.
    Again, a loaded question. How far per day, interstates or no, how much can you stand vibration?

All the above are good choices depending on how good you'd want to look. Four cylinders are always lacking character-wise, v-twins are the bees knees, UJMs for long distance, Duc's for shorter...

Maybe a Ducati ST2/4, kind of a killer cross-over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again, a loaded question. How far per day, interstates or no, how much can you stand vibration?
    No interstates and I'd expect to be tired after a day of riding. I certainly wouldn't expect it to be Cadillac smooth. I'm a total NOOB at this, so I have no idea on milage per day. I'd be looking at classes/certification stuff as step 1, though the idea of a week or two tour eventually sounds super cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cody.wms

You can find a decent used BMW probably with bags. A Honda ST. Lots of choices at that price point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No interstates and I'd expect to be tired after a day of riding. I certainly wouldn't expect it to be Cadillac smooth. I'm a total NOOB at this, so I have no idea on milage per day. I'd be looking at classes/certification stuff as step 1, though the idea of a week or two tour eventually sounds super cool.
    I suppose it's like bikes, you get your feet wet then...

I've done just over and just under 1k miles/day on an 83 Yamaha Vision 550 and was literally vibrating for a day afterwards. Modern bikes are a lot smoother so anything under 400 miles/day I'd imagine will give you a lot of time to explore while not killing yourself. Come to think of it that's way too much, but fairing vs. none is a big consideration.

Best to do an MSF course, ride a bunch on an entry-level thing, sell and, if still into it, get more horses. Would you give your fred neighbor a Zetti? It's not really like that but kinda.

Additionally the Great American West is perfect for camping in public lands and getting lost on two-laners.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Owning and riding a motorcycle that can break down at any minute for any reason has a certain thrill. Sure the Japanese bikes are reliable and dependable and will get you home and don't vibrate shit off and blah blah blah. Where is the thrill?

For good or ill, I have a penchant for bikes made long ago on that rock in the north Atlantic. Hell, I have all these Whitworth wrenches so I may as well use them. Going from the street bikes to the track bike always messes with me on warm-up as I have to get re-acquainted with which side the shifter is on.

To the original question, use me as a cautionary example. It's too late for me. Save yourself. Buy a Japanese bike.

The SV650 is a wonderful machine. I used to track one. The V Strom is even better. If you aren't in a hurry, don't mind the buzzy sensation and the ride may turn to gravel then get a KLR650 and don't look back. The Ninja 250s are dirt cheap since the 2008 model change. A nice CB750 or a slash/five or six is fun to own but old bikes will always have problems. A stuck float, shorted wire, kicker pawl stripped, snapped clutch cable, etc. Any of them can kill your ride. For what you are after, don't be a hero.
    Tim O'Donnell- Shamrock Cycles
    www.lugoftheirish.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

V-Strom all the way for a rider like you. Or SV650. Light, easy to handle, cheap, reliable, comfortable ride, comfortable motor, excellent suspension for the price. Overall very user friendly, but not at all a toy. Cult bike or should be.

BMWs are spendy new, spendy to fix old. Hard bags are nice though for a long trip...
    Ducati's are just spendy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

few comments

I can't remember his name. It was the guy that ran the Dunlop? trailer at the races. Roadracing World called him the "Tire Tyrant" or something like that...
    The Dunlop tire guy you are referring to was Jim Allen. He retired in 2010. That guy forgot more about motorcycle racing rubber than just about any other tire expert still knows.
    Pit Pass: Dunlop's Jim Allen - Sport Rider Magazine

My current ride is a BMW F800GS and fits that description pretty well. See obligatory garage door pic of bike sans-bags.
    IMG_1078.jpg
    After a number of years sport riding on the streets and then racing Honda's, Ducati's, Aprilia's and crazy-ass-handmade-Rotax-GP bikes I added a BMW RT1200 to my collection. Great bike but it was just too big for my purposes. The F800GS is a great compromise. Not super great at any thing but does everything very well. Power, weight, street, dirt, commuting, touring, backroad peg scrapping... all good. A used early version would probably be at the top end of your price range.

Saratoga Springs, New York, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
    The F800GS is a great compromise. Not super great at any thing but does everything very well. Power, weight, street, dirt, commuting, touring, backroad peg scrapping... all good. A used early version would probably be at the top end of your price range.
    Love those bikes. If my VStrom, pictured earlier, ever dies, a 800GS would be my next bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My current ride is a BMW F800GS and fits that description pretty well. See obligatory garage door pic of bike sans-bags.

After a number of years sport riding on the streets and then racing Honda's, Ducati's, Aprilia's and crazy-ass-handmade-Rotax-GP bikes I added a BMW RT1200 to my collection. Great bike but it was just too big for my purposes. The F800GS is a great compromise. Not super great at any thing but does everything very well. Power, weight, street, dirt, commuting, touring, backroad peg scrapping... all good. A used early version would probably be at the top end of your price range.
    That bike, in that color scheme, is amazing. Looks like a great all-round bike love the BMWs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would you give your fred neighbor a Zetti?
    eh sorry, not implying you are a fred everyone starts somewhere.

IMG_1078.jpg
    Nice. What's the wind protection like on that Orca?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...What's the wind protection like on that Orca?
    I know, right? I keep looking for seals or surfers to gobble up!

The wind protection is surprisingly good. The upfront mass moves the air around the lower body and midsection very well. The windscreen puts the flow just at my neck so my head is in clean air. Works very well in normal Texas (read warm) riding.