User Tag List

Page 29 of 76 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Motorcycles.

Spotted in the parking lot of Jim 'N Nick's this afternoon in T-Town.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Spotted in the parking lot of Jim 'N Nick's this afternoon in T-Town.
    I was within 30 minutes of buying one of those a few years ago. The only thing that saved me was a call to my insurance company. With the SV650s, I figured another 25cc's wouldn't jack the rates up much. Oh how wrong I was... Over four times the amount for the same coverage. I didn't call on the ad and kept my SV.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    Thanks! The previous owner cut it down claiming putting the rider's head in clean, non-buffeting air was better than dealing with the turbulence several other windscreens he tried produced. Seems to work in the month I've had it..
    Sounds about right.

I've ridden the off-road cousin of your bike (950SE) that thing put the biggest s--t eating grin on my face. ...but then I realized I had NO bidness on a 950cc dirt bike that'll do 100+mph so I gave it back to its owner and said 'thanks for the ride!' I knew I was having a good time when I was doing 85mph, thought 'man, these revs are pretty high!' and found the next gear. Only thing that's put that kind of s--t eating grin on my face was my 640Adv.

I'm on a hunt for a 2006 BMW R1150GS-Adv special edition. Buddy has one, but he wants $6k more'n I've got for it.

M

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we talk dirt bikes?

I'm seriously thinking small 125-250 2 stroke. My mind says Yamaha, body says KTM.

What's a guy to look for in a Trail segment bike?

What's the big difference between trail bikes and MX?
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am getting old. Bought a Nighthawk 750 with a windscreen. It'll be nice when it's cold, I tell myself.

IMG_3174.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing wrong with that. If it has two wheels and your not having fun it's not the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing at all wrong with that Nighthawk. It is a close to a maintenance free bike that there is. Change oil. Change tires. Gas. Go. Plenty fast enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmech13 View Post
    Can we talk dirt bikes?

I'm seriously thinking small 125-250 2 stroke. My mind says Yamaha, body says KTM.

The Katoom comes with all the fancy bits you'll need to buy to get the suspension of the Yammy to work as well.

Lots of people hear 'KTM' and think 'high maint.' but if you read the manual, its racing-based recommendations. Used like a dirt bike, they're pretty friendly. Yeah, they're a bit more fiddly (ask me about bleeding the DT on my 640A for the first time!) but once you get the hang of it... 950s and the big bikes are a slightly different story. Hafta take lots of body panels off to get to the guts of the bike.

I miss my 640A. If I had a place to ride it like I did in Sandy Eggo (E. Co) or Tucson, I'd probably have another one.

M

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmech13 View Post
    Can we talk dirt bikes?

How experienced of a rider are you? I love and prefer 2 strokes but the current offerings are not beginner bikes. In the least bit. An SX 250 KTM makes 50 HP. My 1980 YZ465 makes 52 HP and is a beast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ I assume your old YZ also has the on-off powerband? I loved that about my '79 YZ80. Sure, friend of dad, try my little bike. I'll walk out and pick you up after the sudden acceleration bucks you off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah after spending a long time tuning it the monster pulls from idle to 8000 RPM and builds power in a linear fashion. There's just a lot of it there to tap from by opening the loud switch. Carefully opening the loud switch. You can flip it @50+MPH in top gear just by opening it up too fast. I won't let anyone ride it anymore. Good plastic for it is hard to find.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remeber watching Jeff Ward race the Kawasaki version at Daytona. I was surprised how little they were in the throttle compared to the 250's. Those 500cc machines were bad ass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    .............. 500cc machines are bad ass.

Better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the 70’s, my dad bought a TM400 for trail riding! Talk about bad ass…then again, he built dragsters and drove tanks in the army.

I used to ride it as a kid, but my 12 year old legs couldn’t kick that beast over if i stalled it. I’d stand full weight on the kick starter, it wouldn’t budge.

Good times…. I love 2 stokes, have a few to this day.

dadTM400 copy.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long live Roger DeCoster!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XR2 View Post
    How experienced of a rider are you? I love and prefer 2 strokes but the current offerings are not beginner bikes. In the least bit. An SX 250 KTM makes 50 HP. My 1980 YZ465 makes 52 HP and is a beast.
    I have no off road experience to date. About 10K miles on the road in various forms.

Lot's of MTBing but i think it's a different beast. I get that 2 strokes are more punchy than 4's but I have been told time and again they are more maintenance free.

I guess in the long wrong maintenance doesn't bother me much as I'm a ok wrench or at least was.

Was told by the local Yami dealer that the big difference between trail and MX is the tranny. MX bikes are geared to chase the RPM's more.

It may come down to a simple TT230 which I understand is as dead nuts reliable as you can get. I just don't want to be left with a bike that I want more once out on the trail. That's what happened on my street bike.

I'm a sucker for good suspension. HP isn't as big of a deal for me. I'd ride a 125 for sure.
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most MX bikes are made for racing therefore have lighter weight gear, better suspension, brakes, ect... on them. Some have closer ratio gearboxes in them, but I never found this to be a problem instead a win for me. Use a bigger sprocket on the front (15t) and what ever suits on the back.

Geo wise a MX bike has a steeper head tube. It is like the difference between a racing bike and the new endurance bikes. There are more differences but I could go on and on.... and that's the main one a beginner would feel that you can not easily change.

To ride a two stoke in the trails you need to be fit!! (See the push-up thread) A four stoke trail bike is much more user-friendly to ride but can be more expensive to repair engine issues..

I would get a MX two stroke and then remove cyl. head. Increase the volume of the combustion chamber by about one CC. It is important to have the same size and clearance for the squish pad. Also a heavier flywheel will help. If you have a lathe it is a easy job. The result is a softer power delivery. Changes to the jetting will also be needed.

I love the smell of two-stoke when I wake up in the morning!
    Feel free to ask more direct model questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggestion: the famous Kawasaki KDX200.

A 2 stroke trail bike that is bulletproof, and can be left stock as a lightweight trail bike, or modified to be a screamer.
    Not a temperamental MX bike that you have to keep revving in the woods. (I’ve ridden those there).

This is mine, an 2004. This bike has been made for years, parts all over the place, and just plain fun. Yes, older technology, certainly not a KTM, but for what i do (and now my kids have taken this over for the most part), it’s a gas. A great starter bike, most folks have had one in the garage at one time.
    P1010018.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And a KDX200 will kick the snot out of a TTR230 across the board, except newer ttr’s have electric start. (which once you get used to it, is pretty nice in the woods).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gearing up for some track days.

Also heading down to Laguna Seca/Mazda Raceway for WSBK in July.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Not Riding!