User Tag List

Page 26 of 75 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Motorcycles.

Nothing exotic but some rider is having fun with this bike...spotted in the local Home Depot parking lot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spotted today on our construction job site in Corvallis...ridden by one of the ironworkers I'm told.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Spotted today on our construction job site in Corvallis...ridden by one of the ironworkers I'm told.
    The helmet looks like something you would wear when you are being shot out of a cannon!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Nothing exotic but some rider is having fun with this bike...spotted in the local Home Depot parking lot.
    One of the truly great Honda sleds. That one is in terrific shape!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sooo, I'm thinking about buying my first bike and would love some suggestions. The only thing I've spent any real hours on is an old trail 90 scoot that I used for trips to mart and bashing around in the woods--loved that thing.

I'd like something that is economical, comfortable enough for me (6'2" 165lbs) and something I can commute on and go camping with. I do not need a ton of power for the freeway, but not having to wind it out to cruise at 60 would be cool too. I am drawn to the supermoto type builds (WR250X & DR-Z400SM) because although I spend most of my time on shit, tight, urban roads, it seems they could play in the woods a bit with a change of tires. Although it is likely much more of a bike than I need, the KTM 350 EXC-F also looks like something I'd be into. Probably spendy though..
    Should I get something with EFI because I'd like to take the bike from sea level towards 7k+ feet on a trip?

I am clueless when it comes to this stuff. Where should I start?
    Probably going to lash my mtb to the back just fyi ;-)

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

L
    Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    Sooo, I'm thinking about buying my first bike and would love some suggestions. The only thing I've spent any real hours on is an old trail 90 scoot that I used for trips to mart and bashing around in the woods--loved that thing.

I'd like something that is economical, comfortable enough for me (6'2" 165lbs) and something I can commute on and go camping with. I do not need a ton of power for the freeway, but not having to wind it out to cruise at 60 would be cool too. I am drawn to the supermoto type builds (WR250X & DR-Z400SM) because although I spend most of my time on shit, tight, urban roads, it seems they could play in the woods a bit with a change of tires. Although it is likely much more of a bike than I need, the KTM 350 EXC-F also looks like something I'd be into. Probably spendy though..
    Should I get something with EFI because I'd like to take the bike from sea level towards 7k+ feet on a trip?

I've been thinking about this myself and I'm going to pick up a used BMW F650 single someday as a second bike. You can frequently find them with 3-5000 miles and there are loads of parts available and maintenence is very basic for the home mechanic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greene beat me to it. I am not even remotely as knowledgeable as some here. These BMWs are super reliable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your first bike should be something you can ride w/o concern for maintenance or control. BMW's are expensive to maintain and just a tad quirky. The offerings from Japan are best suited for beginners. The 'Tard models mentioned by Sonny are a good choice. Cheap,economical,durable and easy to ride if you're tall enough,I'd say 5'10" or better. The Newer 250/300 CC beginner model from Yamaha/Honda are nice bikes but may be more $$ than you want to spend. The Suzuki GS500 and Kawasaki EX500 are good choices as well and are available used at a good price.

Do yourself a favor and take the MSF beginning rider course even if you think you know how to ride. Many insurance companies offer a discount for successful completion. In lieu of the MSF course if it's too long a wait many Harley dealers offer an MSF certified course with the same parameters. What's nice is you pass you get your license in most states. No BS DMV time other than getting the card.

BTW I'm a motorcycle tech with 35 years+ experience as well as a rider/racer with over 50 years experience. yeah I'm old too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anybody have experience with mounting a bike rack on a moto? I've seen it done but I don't know if it was a home brew or a pre-built deal.

Ideally, I'd like to carry a mtb on the back and riding gear in one soft sided saddle bag and a bivy sack and sleeping bag, change of clothes in the other. Probably 150-200 miles one way. Anybody done this?

Moto is an SV650.

- taz
    killing idols one at a time

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taz View Post
    Moto is an SV650.

- taz
    Check on the SV Rider forum. I know there were a couple a few years ago.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a few motorcycles with bike racks on ADV Rider as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post

I went through this decision a while back and here is what I learned:
    The magic bike that does exceptionally well on the highway, around town, and through the woods does not exist. You are going to compromise and either lean more road or more off road. Suspension, gearing, and bike weight being the big items that push you one way or the other. It is not to say that you can not find a bike that does both, it is that a single bike will not do both well.
    But...it all depends how into it you want to get. The bicycle analogy would be: you have road bikes, MTB, and your basic around the town hybrid. You may be in the market for a hybrid. While members of this forum do not generally ride around on hybrids does not mean they do not work well for a large portion of the population that just want to get out and cruise around. And many times it is a good place to start.

I started with a KLX300. Backroads and east coast trails. Quickly moved to a KTM 200. Basically an off-road machine that I made street legal to get to trails. Awesome woods bike. Terrible on the road but I could hop from trail to trail legally.

BTW - changing a moto tire and and changing a bike tire are two very different animals. As a cyclist we think nothing of swapping tires. After you try changing a moto tire for the first time, you will think twice about doing that on a regular basis. (I am sure it is different when you have 35 years as a moto tech with all the tools/stands/etc).

As mentioned, the Japanese bikes are very reliable and easy to find parts for. I would start there. KTM are fantastic bikes and would buy another one given the chance. Had a buddy who had a BMW on/off road bike, it was in fact a bit quirky and a little to 'overly clever' for my taste.
    Think of the Japanese bikes like big box bicycles - while they may not be exotic they are well thought out, matured, accessible machines.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIIW one of my teammates transported his bicycle to races for several years. His words were "it works, you can't push it the moto gets unstable". Worked for him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"
    Anybody done this?

Moto is an SV650.

- taz
    I haven't but I've been working on welding something up. I think Sean Cheney maybe has done it though. If you do it, lets head up to brevard or Tsali.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I use to change a dirt bike tire is a 30 gallon oil drum converted to a trash can for support,3 good tire irons,tire lube and whatever is needed to remove the wheel from the bike. And it's a big a pain as it ever was I just do it faster now. I deflate the tire if necessary and ride around the yard a bit to break the bead.

Overly clever..........fookin brilliant.............I'll be stealing that phrase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anybody have experience with mounting a bike rack on a moto? I've seen it done but I don't know if it was a home brew or a pre-built deal.

Ideally, I'd like to carry a mtb on the back and riding gear in one soft sided saddle bag and a bivy sack and sleeping bag, change of clothes in the other. Probably 150-200 miles one way. Anybody done this?

Moto is an SV650.

- taz
    I built a rack for my Triumph.

2009_09_19_134055-L.jpg

Full pics are here: https://ljplug.smugmug.com/Wheels/ti...9688601_JRkTLw

The bike's bottom bracket sits in a foam cup I shaped, which sits in the aluminum trays. I strap the chainstays to the trays with a bungee. Different size bicycles are easily accommodated by moving the foam block.

The bike rack is bolted to the rear luggage rack, and to the inside face of the passenger footpeg mounts. Hard to explain, easier to see in the photos.

Both wheels of the bicycle come off, and go in wheel holders. It is possible to leave the back wheel in the frame -- but this makes the entire assemblage considerably longer, extending far over the rear of the moto, which I didn't like.

It's worked well for day and multiweek trips. I can't run a topbox with a bicycle mounted, obviously, but sidebags are ok -- hence it's possible to carry a light camping setup along with the bike.

I find it effects the moto handling much less than a pillion does -- less weight and less windage.

At the time I didn't have access to a welder so the rack constructins is drill-and-bolt. Works fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any guesses on how much this beauty is going for? If I have to ask...?

Like a hole in the head I need this. Two holes maybe. No place in the city for it. Still haven't learned how to ride. Oy. Must be second childhood or something.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^You've only got one life. Get on to it.

"Even my farts smell like steel!" - Diel

"Make something with your hands. Not with your money." - Dario

Sean Doyle

www.devlincc.com

https://www.instagram.com/devlincustomcycles/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139142779@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As rad as that thing really is, I would buy a new scrambler over it in a heart beat.

Great work though and really cool that it has all that stuff with it.

Cheers Nick.
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmech13 View Post
    As rad as that thing really is, I would buy a new scrambler over it in a heart beat.
    +1. It's cool and all, but I can think of a dozen bikes off the top of my head that would be farther up the list. Triumph Thruxton being a notable billing.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john