User Tag List

Page 24 of 76 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Motorcycles.

dogrange, The 690 is a good bike for commuting, thats mainly what I use it on. But I think it depends on the city where you are riding. My commute is about 40km with mainly narrow, winding country roads. Only the last 2km is in the city. I have riden it in Berlin once and the 690 was ok there but for only city riding I prefer a scooter or a my singlspeed. The 690 is light, nimble and bit of an all-rounder. But It also depends on the type of riding you do. Maybe the best thing to do if it is possible for you is to test ride a 690. Then test ride other bikes that you like the look of.

My disclaimer is I do work at the KTM factory. So I could be considered a little bias. Before this I worked for Suzuki, so I also have a soft spot for some of those bikes too. Other than these two brands I have limited time riding other brands on the road. I know there are others here that may have more riding time on Honda, Yamaha, etc..
    If you have any technical questions regarding KTM or Suzuki, I am very happy to help.

The 1290 is a bike that has two faces. The nice face is when the traction control and rider assistance is on. This is a very userfriendly machine that will leave a big smile on your face. It makes you feel like you are a better rider than what you really are. Turn off all the assistance then the second face shows itself. Hold the Füch on! The bike becomes a crazy fast naked superbike that leaves your face with an expression of,, WOW !!! This is not a learner bike!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    My pal up in the Catskills who is pretty serious about his motorcycles just got a Super Duke 1290 like the one below. I am looking forward to seeing it when we go up in late May.

This bike haunts me in my dreams.

I really hope the bring a middleweight bike to the States next year.
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could see myself commuting on the KTM 690 or even more likely the 390. I spend a lot of time between 25-45 and a high revving bike with tallish gears like I have now isn't all that fun between 25-45.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to have a Ducati Multistrada 620. That 620 twin was sweet for commuting, nice fast spin up from 15-60. It was fun to have a bike where you could goose the throttle on most riding trips. I could also see myself on a Duke 390 or 690, for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    I used to have a Ducati Multistrada 620. That 620 twin was sweet for commuting, nice fast spin up from 15-60. It was fun to have a bike where you could goose the throttle on most riding trips. I could also see myself on a Duke 390 or 690, for sure.
    That's kinda odd. My Duc 800 just isn't all that fun in city. In hindsight, I shouldn't have called it high revving but it's not really happy under about 3000 rpm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    That's kinda odd. My Duc 800 just isn't all that fun in city. In hindsight, I shouldn't have called it high revving but it's not really happy under about 3000 rpm.
    Well, I must admit that, like a lot of earlier FI systems, it was a bit herky-jerky at low throttle openings. I guess I mean that the hp/torque was about perfect for a relatively inexperienced rider (me) to do full-throttle accelerations on exurban arterials without fear of highsiding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    Well, I must admit that, like a lot of earlier FI systems, it was a bit herky-jerky at low throttle openings. I guess I mean that the hp/torque was about perfect for a relatively inexperienced rider (me) to do full-throttle accelerations on exurban arterials without fear of highsiding.
    My only real experience in on a Suzuki SV650, but there was a mod I did to the throttle position sensor that turned on the fuel injection at low rpms. REALLY calmed down the herky-jerk that you're talking about. No idea if there's a similar mod to do on yours, but it might be worth a check.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome day today. Friend cruised up from Portland on his day off on is SV650. It is a 2003 with front fairing, RED. Sounds good. All stock even with a small dent in the tank.

Did a quick oil change for him and oil filter. He couldn't believe how little I paid for my hydraulic lift from Harbor Freight. Sure makes the little jobs even more fun.

Cool bike. Rode it around a bit. He kinda dug my Street after a quick spin.
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My tip for any fuel injected Suzuki: The fuel mapping for the small throttle postion and lower rpm is made for low emissions and this also helps with lower exhaust noise.
    The TPS needs to set at 27.9 degrees. Then using a Yoshi box you can change the standard fuel mapping in the ECU. Increase the fuel about 3% only in the lower Throttle postions. Then test ride. Most bikes run too lean at lower throttle so increasing this a little will help with the jerky effect.
    The 3% is means 3% more of a sum that nobody knows. ;)

It is not needed to have a Powercommander with Suzuki's. It is possible to remap the standarrd ECU. Most dealerships will have the Yoshi box and all will have the diagnostic tool used to set the TPS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 690 Duke is made here in Austria and the 390 Duke is made in India. We make quality checks on all bikes including the India bikes. Yes, here in Austria.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deboat View Post
    My tip for any fuel injected Suzuki: The fuel mapping for the small throttle postion and lower rpm is made for low emissions and this also helps with lower exhaust noise.
    The TPS needs to set at 27.9 degrees. Then using a Yoshi box you can change the standard fuel mapping in the ECU. Increase the fuel about 3% only in the lower Throttle postions. Then test ride. Most bikes run too lean at lower throttle so increasing this a little will help with the jerky effect.
    The 3% is means 3% more of a sum that nobody knows. ;)

It is not needed to have a Powercommander with Suzuki's. It is possible to remap the standarrd ECU. Most dealerships will have the Yoshi box and all will have the diagnostic tool used to set the TPS.
    Can't speak for all Suzukis, but with the SV, the diagnostic is right on the instrument panel when in "dealer mode". And that is just connecting two slots in the fuse panel with a wire.
    DT

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Motorcycles are awesome, but... I am shipping some fixed gear wheels, so today I rode my Ninjette to the train station with a wheel box strapped to my back. In 25 mph wind gusts.

That was not that smart. Clearly I need a scooter with a flat floor board. Anyone got a CH80?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nierman View Post
    I went my whole life never really wanting a motorcycle. Then I moved to the Catskills where most of the roads are 1 1/2 lanes wide and 45mph; the urge is now burning hot. That ^ would be a really fun commuting machine around here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

few of these on the local showroom floor. my god, want want want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps something that others see every day, but I was in the SF Bay area on business early this week and did a fair amount of driving in rush-hour highway traffic and saw something new to me: guys on motorcycles lane-splitting in traffic that was varying from 10-50 mph over very short distances.

Lane-splitting at 50 mph? That's got to be a death-wish. Is it legal?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    Perhaps something that others see every day, but I was in the SF Bay area on business early this week and did a fair amount of driving in rush-hour highway traffic and saw something new to me: guys on motorcycles lane-splitting in traffic that was varying from 10-50 mph over very short distances.

Lane-splitting at 50 mph? That's got to be a death-wish. Is it legal?
    YouTube it. Darwin Award material for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is legal in CA. And there's a big push (by some riders) to get it legalized in WA. No thanks.
    DT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lane splitting at 50mph sounds dumb, but lane splitting through stopped traffic at lights could save me 10 minutes on a 40 minute commute and prevent me from getting rear ended. We need all the congestion relief we can get around here, and this can be a good option, it is legal and done safely in most of the rest of the world.
    If done properly it would be safe, and the guys taking big risks will take the big risks no matter what the law is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My old helmet was starting to deteriorate. Nearly daily use over 2 years will do that. Revzilla has some Lazer Hemets on close-out. I like their bicycle helmets and these get pretty good reviews. This is a pretty nice helmet. Well made and quiet. It's also nearly 50% off right now. I'd buy another if I needed one.
    Attached Images Attached Images