User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How are you preserving summer? - canning, pickling, freezing, drying...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How are you preserving summer? - canning, pickling, freezing, drying...

Finally found time to freeze some corn. Got a small batch of bread and butter pickles put up. About time to start smoking and oil-packing some tomatoes. There is a case of peaches headed for freezing and peach jam next week. I've never made sauerkraut, but hoping this will be the year.

Whadya got?

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How are you preserving summer? - canning, pickling, freezing, drying...

Mmmmmmmmmmm, looks expertly done friend. I want to know more about your tomatoes.

I've been quietly making pour over garlic and dill pickles. No pictures, they are so plain and ordinary.

Next batch I'll take a few pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How are you preserving summer? - canning, pickling, freezing, drying...

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Mmmmmmmmmmm, looks expertly done friend. I want to know more about your tomatoes.

I've been quietly making pour over garlic and dill pickles. No pictures, they are so plain and ordinary.

Next batch I'll take a few pics.
    I use Juliette's or Amish paste or other plum tomatoes, halved. Crowd them onto a half sheet pan face up. Cut a few heads of garlic in half and nestle them in. Liberally salt. Drizzle with a cup or so of olive oil. I use a gas grill cause that's what I've got. Put them on low and slow with some apple wood chips for smoke. 200-250 for 2-3-4hours. Let cool and scrape the whole mess into a container and refrigerate for a few weeks or freeze indefinitely.

You can purée it if you want, but it's just extra work. Spread it on bread. Toss it with pasta. Fish 'em out with your fingers and eat 'em straight. The turns into liquid sunshine.

Pics next time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noteddy View Post
    I use Juliette's or Amish paste or other plum tomatoes, halved. Crowd them onto a half sheet pan face up. Cut a few heads of garlic in half and nestle them in. Liberally salt. Drizzle with a cup or so of olive oil. I use a gas grill cause that's what I've got. Put them on low and slow with some apple wood chips for smoke. 200-250 for 2-3-4hours. Let cool and scrape the whole mess into a container and refrigerate for a few weeks or freeze indefinitely.

You can purée it if you want, but it's just extra work. Spread it on bread. Toss it with pasta. Fish 'em out with your fingers and eat 'em straight. The turns into liquid sunshine.

Pics next time.
    Bless you son. I'm going to knock that out this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drying the perfect peaches - four days solid - and freezing the ends and the good parts of the damaged ones, we got about eight or nine of these boxes.
    Drying tomatoes.
    Made red salsaIMG_3601.JPG de chili arbol.
    Made green tomatillo/roasted jalapeno/roasted garlic/flame roasted big jim salsa.
    Freezing soup from squash and eggplants for winter use.
    freezing roasted anaheim peppers in 1/2 gallon zip-locks.
    A couple fishing trips coming up for smoked & frozen trout, I turn 'em loose usually but it's freezer time of the year.
    Got some pomegranites on the vine but I've never had them and don't know what to expect.
    Busy.
    - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Made red salsa de chili arbol.
    Made green tomatillo/roasted jalapeno/roasted garlic/flame roasted big jim salsa.
    Got some pomegranites on the vine but I've never had them and don't know what to expect.
    Busy.
    - Garro.
    There is a man after my own stomach.
    Love to hear more about the salsas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noteddy View Post
    There is a man after my own stomach.
    Love to hear more about the salsas.
    I believe I posted both of them at the start of the "hot sauce" thread.
    - Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    I believe I posted both of them at the start of the "hot sauce" thread.
    - Garro.
    Why, yes you did. Many thanks! These go on the list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The author of this is local to us and I absolutely love having this book. If this is your sort of thing, you might like it too...

Amazon.com: The Preservation Kitchen: The Craft of Making and Cooking with Pickles, Preserves, and Aigre-doux (9781607741008): Paul Virant, Kate Leahy: Books

-Bernie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've already done 2 batches of tomato sauce. There will be some dehydrating coming up soon.

IMAG0096.jpg

IMAG0099.jpg

I also usually roast whatever chiles we have and make a sauce with garlic and vinegar then freeze it. It lasts at least a year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    I've already done 2 batches of tomato sauce. There will be some dehydrating coming up soon.

IMAG0096.jpg

IMAG0099.jpg

I also usually roast whatever chiles we have and make a sauce with garlic and vinegar then freeze it. It lasts at least a year.
    I can see how those countertops would inspire you to such culinary heights! Nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just knocked off some slow roasted figs with lemon. Bit of sugar and water, the figs and lemons, 4 hours in the oven. All nicely caramelized together... yum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sashae View Post
    Just knocked off some slow roasted figs with lemon. Bit of sugar and water, the figs and lemons, 4 hours in the oven. All nicely caramelized together... yum.
    You are killing me man. Very nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    You are killing me man. Very nice.
    Shockingly easy. 3lbs ripe figs, cleaned of stems and bad spots and cut in half. 1 whole lemon, quartered, seeded, then sliced extremely thinly. 1.5c sugar, 1c water. Put everything in a roasting pan and roast at 300deg for 2 hours with foil over the pan. Remove the foil and turn up the heat to 400, roast further for another 1.5hrs. Figs should come out nicely browned and soft, lemon slices transparent, and the syrup very very dark and caramelized. Makes about 4 1/2pt jars -- can be water bath canned for 6 mins, but since it's low sugar may be better in the fridge, where it'll last for months.

I had some this morning in yogurt and it was fantastic, but I'll likely end up serving it with a really creamy cheese or a ricotta as dessert. It's pretty damn good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had some this morning in yogurt and it was fantastic, but I'll likely end up serving it with a really creamy cheese or a ricotta as dessert. It's pretty damn good.
    Wow. Good thing I have no access to fresh figs. This would make for another 5lbs to take off next spring. Holy crap that sounds good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMG_3639.JPGIMG_3640.JPGHad the dehydrator running - peaches and tomatoes - that's a shit ton of peaches, and the freezer is full too.
    The tomatoes are like tiny pizzas, so good and sweet.
    A light dusting of basil and rosemary on top.
    - Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

steve -- how are you drying the peaches? I always have a hard time with preserving peaches -- I don't love peach butter, and I make maybe 2-3 quarts of spiced peaches (cider vinegar, brown sugar, halve the peaches and embed with cloves) for Thanksgiving/Christmas, but outside of that I don't know what to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

steve -- how are you drying the peaches? I always have a hard time with preserving peaches -- I don't love peach butter, and I make maybe 2-3 quarts of spiced peaches (cider vinegar, brown sugar, halve the peaches and embed with cloves) for Thanksgiving/Christmas, but outside of that I don't know what to do.
    A Nesco brand 4-stack food dehydrator - so good, better then almost anything. Serious stash material, not for sharing!
    - Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My tiny gardens modest pepper output is being hot-packed per my Uncle Jerry's recipes. I'll try to take some pics next time we proceed with canning.

2 quarts cold water
    2 quarts white vinegar
    1 cup kosher salt

Mix these three items together and stir well.

1 clove garlic in each jar
    1 tablespoon olive oil in each jar (oil put in after peppers and
    mixture is poured in)

Seal jars tight. You can eat them after a month. We use sweet
    Hungarian wax peppers--a lot of people like the hot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    My tiny gardens modest pepper output is being hot-packed per my Uncle Jerry's recipes. I'll try to take some pics next time we proceed with canning.

2 quarts cold water
    2 quarts white vinegar
    1 cup kosher salt

Mix these three items together and stir well.

1 clove garlic in each jar
    1 tablespoon olive oil in each jar (oil put in after peppers and
    mixture is poured in)

Seal jars tight. You can eat them after a month. We use sweet
    Hungarian wax peppers--a lot of people like the hot.
    What size bell jar?
    I endorse this idea......
    - Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast