Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Knife handles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Knife handles

I did these a couple of years ago but seeing how there seems to be a fair amount of knife interest here I thought I’d share.

I purchased a Lauri 7" leuku and 77mm PT puukko blade. I had amassed various handle material over the several months so off to work I went. I should have taken more pics along the way but I didn't really think about it at the time.

I did the leuku first. It ended up being more work than I had anticipated but it wasn't a huge pain. The hardest part was forming the brass bolster. For the handle I used two pieces of Desert Ironwood, a piece of fossilized oosic and birch bark for spacers. I'm still refining the shape of the handle and you may notice that both sides aren't exactly the same....I made them asymmetric since I don't anticipate using it in a variety of holds. You can also see that my drilling skills on the oosic weren't the best.

Next up was the puukko. I didn't want an exact match to the leuku but something close. I had some more ironwood but after I cut one of the pieces I found some small cracks inside of it. I was hesitant to use it so I went with plan B....stacked birch bark. I had been leery of trying that as I thought it might be too hard but it was actually far easier than I had anticipated. I glued the bark on in sections, sanding to a rough shape in between and then did the final shaping once it was all together. The hardest part of this knife was the pommel though most of that had to do with my choice of material. If I had decided to use a plain piece of brass it would have been much easier; as it was I had to cut the last few pieces close to the proper size to try to avoid sanding the edges of the pommel.

The handle material in raw form with a couple of leftovers.

Getting there...

I had a lot of fun doing this project. Perhaps the most valuable lesson I learned in the whole thing is to buy a brass bolster next time. I cut them out of a piece of 3mm brass and I spent far too much time dealing with the bolsters. They also didn't turn out perfect but they were good enough for me. It would have been a lot easier and less time if I had a belt sander but since I didn't it was all done by hand and with a dremel.

Even though I used some more unusual materials I have about $100 total in both knives. I won't even guess at how much I have in labor but the satisfaction of holding the finished knives in hand was well worth the cost.
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Knife handles

Nicely done. Clearly a lot of hours of careful work in them. They're both nice, but I really like the stacked birch bark. Very cleverly done.

Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Knife handles

Neat stuff....

Knives are starting to interest me as well.
    Anything HANDMADE kicks ass.

Luke
    “So this is how the world works, all energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet." - HST