Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Crash replacement policy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Crash replacement policy

For the professionals here: What's your crash replacement policy? Why? Is it "just something we do" or is there a specific reason behind it?

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Crash replacement policy

I have no crash replacement policy. Nor do I cover abuse and/or neglect. If something breaks or falls off as a result of impact, crash, or anything that isn't "just riding", it's a client problem that I fix for a fee. If there's a gray area and the client has no recollection about every bump, pothole, and curb he hit over 19,000 miles or ??? years, I look at the bigger picture and try to do what's best for both parties. The (my) goal is to get a client back on the road asap, but not lose time or money along the way. Except for rare instances, the repainting is always on the client's account, not mine. PS I won't do any of the work unless I see the bicycle; seeing the frame-only doesn't tell me the whole story and is bad forensics. Also, my policy, such as it is, is only extended to original owners who would normally have proof of purchase. Second hand owners would get billed for repairs etc at full pop retail atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    For the professionals here: What's your crash replacement policy? Why? Is it "just something we do" or is there a specific reason behind it?

Mark,

I build a lot of bikes for competition and extreme use. My standard guarantee is 1 year, after that you're on your own, unless you've earned my respect and I llike you. If I build a BMX bike and you break it racing, I'll fix or replace. Whatever event the bike is built for, crash damage in that event is covered. I will not cover damage from using the bike for purposes for which it was not designed: for instance, house jumping with a BMX bike.

This is my standard warranty:

"Warranty: Thursday guarantees his frames against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of one year following purchase. Usually, such defects make themselves apparent within ten hours of vigorous riding. If the frame is designed for competition and/or extreme use, damage resulting from such uses is covered in the warranty. Thursday may repair or replace a frame to satisfy this warranty. The warranty is limited to the frame alone and does not cover damages from fire, flooding, earthquake, stampedes, crashes with cars, acts of the Creator or Her Adversary, war or civil disturbance, wanton recklessness, criminal stupidity, or intentional damage. Wear a helmet."

HTH

jn

"Thursday"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies, guys.