Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: steel toe's

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: steel toe's

thanks to all who chimed in. i wound up bumbling upon a red wings store, tried on a few pairs and eventually picked up a set of 6" steel toed boots, so far, so good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm late to the game but i'll share my riveting tale. in my 20's i took a 4-5 month job w/a pretty tough-guy tree crew. this was a summer job for me and i was told flat out: this guy hires one extra guy per summer and it aint gonna be you. thats all i needed to hear. i tracked down the foreman in a bar and he said to be there in the am. he didn't hire me, he said be there we'll give you a day and go from there. i made it through the day and got the job. it was brutal but i loved it. to this day i'll tell you the owner was the best boss i ever had. by mid summer i looked like me, only covered in muscles and i could hve put my hand in a beehive and felt nothing. even my pop was impressed and that aint easy. anyway, a few wks into it my boss gave me a pair of these: Clothing i was quite proud. they were like an extra tool, ex: you could roll logs onto yer toes to get yer hands under them. i'm 44 i still hve them, wear them, rely on them.
    you're not the lord of the flies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any updates here?
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still dig my Keens. Comfy and they have been durable. They worked great up in Alaska all last summer. Did double duty as my hiking boots as well. I have a few work mates wearing them now and they really like them.

Guy
    The mountains are calling and I must go.

- John Muir

The name is Guy Fazzio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm on the verge of having my Red Wings re-soled for the 3rd time. I'd buy another pair without hesitation. The toes only loose the leather in cheap boots or if you spend a lot time on your knees working. I had a couple pair have that happen pretty quickly but in the civilized tool shop the toes don't look any worse for wear than the rest of the boots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wednesday afternoon i got word that i'd need steel/ safety toes thursday...so, off I went to Red Wing. Debated between 2...a steel toe and a composite toe. ended up with steel because it could be resoled. the composite noticeably lighter and water proof...but, the sole wasn't replaceable. so steel toe it was. were properly broken in yesterday.

now I'm wondering...is the leather on Red Wing work boots hearty enough that it doesn't need much care, or should I go ahead and get some mink oil or whatever RW recommends?

for those curious: Product Detail
    -Dustin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12