Thread: The Seven Shoe Wardrobe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Seven Shoe Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    Since you already have a range of "sensible" colours, it might be an opportunity to consider a different colour like, as you mentioned, green.
    Green shoes go with everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Green shoes go with everything.
    Haha, yeah. Now that you mention it, I did have a pair of mid-green suede lazyman. Not sure what happened to that pair... They weren't exactly versatile, but whenever I wore them, they attracted comment.

I have a pair of desert boots in dark green Horween Chromexcel that I abuse and wear without giving much thought to whether they go with what I'm wearing above the feet. :)
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha, yeah. Now that you mention it, I did have a pair of mid-green suede lazyman. Not sure what happened to that pair... They weren't exactly versatile, but whenever I wore them, they attracted comment.

I have a pair of desert boots in dark green Horween Chromexcel that I abuse and wear without giving much thought to whether they go with what I'm wearing above the feet. :)
    No seriously - I think you can actually get a color that is so off-the-charts that it is its own statement. So what you wear it with doesn't matter so much. I used to have a bright yellow pair of wingtips (some Italian brand I bought in London) that were so crazy I could wear them with whatever. But my day job is not so conservative.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OT but, Jorn, how do you manage clothes between city, country and now Paris?

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No seriously - I think you can actually get a color that is so off-the-charts that it is its own statement. So what you wear it with doesn't matter so much. I used to have a bright yellow pair of wingtips (some Italian brand I bought in London) that were so crazy I could wear them with whatever. But my day job is not so conservative.
    Yeah, like my white DM boots, cherry red country boots, Yves Klein blue suede chukka espadrille boots, or the navy/white/claret penny loafers... ;)
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    OT but, Jorn, how do you manage clothes between city, country and now Paris?

Mike
    There’s no way I will be stylish enough in either NYC or Paris, and in Hillsdale, I am just trying to stay warm and not destroy all my clothes. Plus I’m cheap as hell. I just divided up my somewhat compulsively over-sourced collection of rags and hauled it around until it made sense.

Paris: Venetian-style loafers, colorful running shoes, flower-patterned shirts, Capilene t-shirts, lightweight SWRVE pants, many socks, 6 different jacket weights in dark colors, gray cashmere v-neck sweater. A spot of extreme color/pattern, save my feet and manage body temp.

NYC: Whatever in black, gray or white. Low-top hiking shoes. New old whatever.

Hillsdale: SWRVE durable cotton trousers, cotton button shirts, Capilene long underwear, wool socks, 4 seasons of hiking boots, nearly one of each coat/jacket from the Patagonia catalog, lots of wool sweaters, many gloves, t-shirts until they fall apart, orange stuff for hunting season.

I did buy a Patagonia Black Hole bag in carry-on size and checked size. And a Rapha backpack that holds my computer and two days worth of clothes. Those were more important than the clothes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your pop of color/pattern could also be a watch band or some overly clever glasses frames ...

I'm wishing I'd purchased a pair of these when they were available in my size. Pop of color with a gearhead subtext, might lead to fun conversations.

Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 11.59.54 AM.jpg
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, If Jorn/@j44ke (or anyone else) needs new or barely-worn brown bluchers and/or Derbys in 9.5D (or 10D dress shoes) I have you covered. They do not fit me so I have them listed for sale on eBay. Rather than give eBay its 15%, I am happy to give 10% off eBay prices to any VSalon-ers with 5% Donation to VSalon on completed sale.

Contact me here or at eBay: https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_profile/open-4-sale

*** Apparently I have a difficult foot shape to fit: high arch, high instep, wide forefoot, and narrow heel which leaves me with only 2 models of shoes that actually fit:
    Best fit ever: Alden Modified Last in 8.5EE (Modified is their orthopedic last that fits less than 5% of the population).
    Good but not great fit: Carmina Detroit Last in 8.5-UK/9E-US

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Your pop of color/pattern could also be a watch band or some overly clever glasses frames ...

I'm wishing I'd purchased a pair of these when they were available in my size. Pop of color with a gearhead subtext, might lead to fun conversations.

Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 11.59.54 AM.jpg
    Like 'em! I got these ones. Not quite as loud as I wanted but in my size. And comfortable.

Last edited by j44ke; 02-13-2023 at 08:19 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Well, If Jorn/@j44ke (or anyone else) needs new or barely-worn brown bluchers and/or Derbys in 9.5D (or 10D dress shoes) I have you covered. They do not fit me so I have them listed for sale on eBay. Rather than give eBay its 15%, I am happy to give 10% off eBay prices to any VSalon-ers with 5% Donation to VSalon on completed sale.

Contact me here or at eBay: https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_profile/open-4-sale

*** Apparently I have a difficult foot shape to fit: high arch, high instep, wide forefoot, and narrow heel which leaves me with only 2 models of shoes that actually fit:
    Best fit ever: Alden Modified Last in 8.5EE (Modified is their orthopedic last that fits less than 5% of the population).
    Thanks. You are making me feel better about my collection of shoes that don't fit.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slightly OT but not really: Why do many Americans wear brand new white sneakers when on vacation, both in the US and abroad? Is there some rule about vacation footwear?
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eBay takes 15%? Since when?
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eBay takes 15%? Since when?
    They increase their fees almost every year and especially since they got rid of PayPal.
    The final value fee is now charged on the selling price + shipping + tax. Yes, they even charge the fee on the tax collected.

eBay Selling Fees Chart

12.9% Most categories
    14.6% Books & Magazines & Movies
    15.0% Clothing, Shoes & Accessories
    15.0% Jewelry & Watches

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They increase their fees almost every year and especially since they got rid of PayPal.
    The final value fee is now charged on the selling price + shipping + tax. Yes, they even charge the fee on the tax collected.

eBay Selling Fees Chart

12.9% Most categories
    14.6% Books & Magazines & Movies
    15.0% Clothing, Shoes & Accessories
    15.0% Jewelry & Watches
    Wow. No wonder their revenues went down during Covid whilst the e-commerce sector enjoyed a massive bump.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slightly OT but not really: Why do many Americans wear brand new white sneakers when on vacation, both in the US and abroad? Is there some rule about vacation footwear?
    by white sneakers, do you mean something similar to Stan Smith and Ontisuka Tiger? White/ off-white shoes with accenting, fashion sneakers now but were once used for competition purposes?

Or do you mean this type of atrocity?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bright white sneakers with high "rand" around the sole is a fashion thing. On women, often accompanied by some sort of mid-diameter straight-legged tailored pants hemmed just above the ankle. Not sure who started it - Veja seems pretty prevalent. The shoes from Golden Goose that look either very or slightly worn/faded/yellowed seem to be kind of the opposite direction.

Resort casual vacation wear.

There was a funky-hip shoe repair shop in Paris that did both cleaning and distressing of white sneakers.

Also saw quite a few of these kind of over-wrought athleisure shoes from couture brands. These are from Lanvin.

Last edited by j44ke; 02-14-2023 at 12:10 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    by white sneakers, do you mean something similar to Stan Smith and Ontisuka Tiger? White/ off-white shoes with accenting, fashion sneakers now but were once used for competition purposes?

Or do you mean this type of atrocity?

Something in the spirit of the last one.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bright white sneakers with high "rand" around the sole is a fashion thing. On women, often accompanied by some sort of mid-diameter straight-legged tailored pants hemmed just above the ankle. Not sure who started it - Veja seems pretty prevalent. The shoes from Golden Goose that look either very or slightly worn/faded/yellowed seem to be kind of the opposite direction.

Resort casual vacation wear.

There was a funky-hip shoe repair shop in Paris that did both cleaning and distressing of white sneakers.

Also saw quite a few of these kind of over-wrought athleisure shoes from couture brands. These are from Lanvin.

I think Balenciaga are still the reigning emperors of that stuff. Cristobal is vomiting whilst spinning in his grave.

Hermès got into the ugly dad sneaker thing a couple of years ago, but I wonder how successful that line was.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Balenciaga are still the reigning emperors of that stuff. Cristobal is vomiting whilst spinning in his grave.

Hermès got into the ugly dad sneaker thing a couple of years ago, but I wonder how successful that line was.
    As long as New Balance exists, there will be ugly dad sneakers. Normal core, etc.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if it's any "consolation", throngs of people wear those clunky sneakers on a daily basis, too

perhaps it's to be expected. With >60% of the population overweight or obese, any additional bit of cushioning helps when there's a lot of walking involved.