Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Seven Shoe Wardrobe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Seven Shoe Wardrobe

yea, i've eyed those Hamiltons for a while. I am quite fond of the honey brown version also.

haha, i may have to invent a reason to wear real shoes here in the next month or two. i've been pretty much advised to stay out of the city and the office, i'm grounded from travel, so it looks like super casual mode for the near term over here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0ADC743A-BD66-420A-9207-E51EF6ED5787.jpeg

Picked up these Redwing Oxfords in Loden, model 4536 for work. Replacing my “30 hour” shoes from residency. A pair of Birkenstock dress shoes with no more resole options(done twice).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Allen Edmonds Strandmok Cap-Toe Oxford with Dainite Rubber Sole for jeans/weekend wear (or maybe even business casual).

Cognac? Brown? Both? Neither?

Can't tell if the brogue, pebble leather, and rubber are too much on one shoe or if they all work together in harmony.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Allen Edmonds Strandmok Cap-Toe Oxford with Dainite Rubber Sole for jeans/weekend wear (or maybe even business casual).

Can't tell if the brogue, pebble leather, and rubber are too much on one shoe or if they all work together in harmony.
    Allen Edmonds are all about the last. This particular model is built on their "65 last" which is great for higher arched feet or a good orthotic and an E or EEE width if you have a lower arch and wider foot (like me). I think the lighter colored Cognac color is the better choice as you can play with the shade with polish to either darken it up a bit or stay as is. Brown is brown.

Allen Edmonds quality has gone down a notch over the last decade as they have tried to meet the reality of being a US-based shoe manufacturer in a disposable world where more people are wearing hoodies to work, but they have an excellent return policy. You can also save some cash if you buy this shoe from their "Shoe Bank" on-line store:

Strandmok Lace-up Oxford Men's Casual Shoes by Allen Edmonds

Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Wisco is right on all his points. I love that sole and when I have my Strandmoks resoled I'll go with it again. Mine are the color blow(not my photo) which over time has worn to be more of the light tones and less of the dark. I have different color laces depending on how I feel:) It's my go-to shoe for most casual/bus casual days. Also have the Neumoks in navy with red laces. That is a different last, not recalling the number... They have a leather sole (on sale as Wisco mentioned) so will go to the Dianite when it's time to recraft them.

I like the cognac. My Strands are in Walnut, and this appears pretty close. I wear those for dress, or bus casual when I want something a bit dressier than the two-tone Strandmoks.
    Allen-Edmonds-Strandmok-Brogues-With-Jeans-Chinos.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about matching belt "brogue" with shoe brogue?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After a few months of pandemic online shoe shopping (online purchase, shipped to me, try-on, and ship back more than 15 pairs of shoes), I finally figured out what works for me. It took some time and many pairs of shoes to realize that while I am a very standard size 10, I am in-between a D and E width which means shoes are either too tight or too loose. With very helpful customer support staff at both Allen Edmonds and Carmina, I was able to find shoes in 10D on wider lasts that fit me perfectly.

This is my latest acquisition:
    Carmina Plain Toe Derby 531 in Brown Repello Suede on the Detroit last.

I think Carmina (new to me) offers amazing value and great build quality at a very fair price-point (more than Allen Edmonds but less than Alden).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I'll play again.

7-shoe wardrobe now made possible by pandemic and a bad shoulder problem (no rock climbing for me!)

1. SPDs (dromarti)
    2. Winter SPDs (Lake)
    3. Running/trail shoe (currently Altra)
    4. Work Boot (Red Wing)
    5. Office Shoes (Alden)
    6. Slip-on Sandals (Birkenstock)
    7. shearling slippers. (LLbean?)

In current Rotation, approximate order of use
    Slip-on sandals
    SPDs
    Office Shoe
    Trail shoe

The winter SPDs and shearling slippers only see winter use (I fry in either when the outside air temp is above freezing); the work boots are at my (effectively closed) office.

My SPDs have laces, my well-used wingtips have Vibram soles, and my sandals have a back strap. All the result of earlier painful lessons learned.

Also, somehow I have gone from all-brown/cordovan to a majority-black shoe collection. I had to get a matching belt that nobody sees just to keep my own sensibilitiies in balance.

Cheers,

Will
    William M. deRosset
    Fort Collins, CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

talking to my own post:

One could almost collapse 1-3 by going back to either flat pedals or clips and straps and using a soccer flat for hiking (or use crocs and condense the SPDs and the sandals/slippers).

I prefer a chunkier sole than that allows for walking on trails or running, but I suppose if we're trying to out-minimalist the minimalists then that would do. If one got one of those weird formal all-leather shiny sneakers and worked in the right environment then maybe even office shoes would go away, but sneakers with a suit makes a bold statement, one that I am not adventurous enough to pull off.

I also live (and currently work) in a farmhouse. The original log cabin was built "before 1889" and tacked onto/updated by each subsequent generation. Two rooms are heated. Slippers are not optional in my middle age.

I can almost get away with smushing my Aldens into my Red Wings, but again, that is a touch informal for the few times a year that I really want to wear a sportcoat or a suit.

I do notice that none of the women have spoken up on this thread. Perhaps they know better. This is, of course, just like all those one-bike do-it-all threads we see from time to time.

Best Regards,

Will
    William M. deRosset
    Fort Collins, CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WMdeR View Post
    talking to my own post:

I do notice that none of the women have spoken up on this thread. Perhaps they know better. This is, of course, just like all those one-bike do-it-all threads we see from time to time.

Best Regards,

Will
    I am a minimalist in life, but don't talk to me about shoes. I can open my own running shoe store and I am in Shoe Jail and not allowed to say the word shoe. So not sure about the other women, but I can wear a different pair of running shoes almost every day for several months. LOL. However I can travel with one pair of shoes and run, go to work, and go out to dinner in same shoes!

How did I miss this shoe post?
    Joni Taylor * TEXmarket-USA * www.texmarket-usa.com
    Build to order, European Production of Cycling, Running and Triathlon Apparel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My seven

Shimano R321 road shoes
    5:10 MTB shoes
    Brooks Cascadia running/hiking
    Solomon Speedcross 5 running
    Crocs (don't judge)
    Redwing iron ranger
    Zamberlan hiking boot (for logging/firewood/landscaping, etc.)

Seems odd I have 20+ pair when I could do with seven.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Current practical list:

-giro empire vr90 mtb shoes
    -vans classics
    -chaco river sandals
    -frye chelsea boots (my particular pair are dressy but sporty at the same time; one rung down the swagger ladder from cowboy boots imo)
    -frye wingtips - I really don't wear these, and usually roll the boots with a suit. it works for my thing, but I will need to be buried in something hopefully after like 100 years.
    -adidas runners that I actually just lift weights in because they're flat enough.
    -? what I need is either another pair of Asolos or a pair of Brooks cascadias for outdoors stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taylorj View Post
    I am a minimalist in life, but don't talk to me about shoes. I can open my own running shoe store and I am in Shoe Jail and not allowed to say the word shoe. So not sure about the other women, but I can wear a different pair of running shoes almost every day for several months. LOL. However I can travel with one pair of shoes and run, go to work, and go out to dinner in same shoes!

How did I miss this shoe post?
    My seven shoe wardrobe includes 24 pairs of Vans Authentics and 7 pairs of S-Works cycling shoes, so we can hang.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My pandemic 7 shoe collection:

2 - Specialized S-Works carbon MTB shoes (used with Speedplay Frogs on my road bike, 1 fall/winter, 1 spring/summer)
    1 - Specialized Pro MTB shoes (used with Speedplay Frogs on my road bike, backup for all seasons)
    1 - Nike running shoes (for exercise)
    1 - Merrill trail running shoes (for non-exercise outdoor use)
    1 - Adidas Adissage sildes (for the beach)
    1 - LL Bean Men's Wicked Good Moccasins (for the apartment)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe one day in the future I'll get to wear these again but for now I did some maintenance...

Brooks Brothers by Alden (Penny Loafer - 9695F Black Soft Calf)
    - Brush with horsehair shoe shine brush to remove loose dirt
    - Apply Saphir Medaille d'Or Renovator Cream (clean and condition)
    - Let stand for 24 hours then brush to dull shine
    - Apply Saphir Medaille d'Or Crème 1925 - Black (polish)
    - Apply "thin coat" Saphir Medaille d'Or Pâte De Luxe wax polish (protective wax)
    - Let stand for 1 hour then brush to medium shine (I don't like high shine shoes and/or toes)
    - Place in shoes bags, place bags in boxes, put back in closet until who knows when

Brooks Brothers by Alden (Penny Loafer - 9697F Dark Brown Suede)
    - Brush suede nap with nylon bristle suede specific brush to remove loose dirt
    - Mix water and Saphir Medaille d'Or Omni’Nettoyant (3:1) and shampoo shoes (clean)
    - Stuff with paper and let stand for 24 hours (or more) until fully dry
    - Put shoe trees back in and brush with pig bristle brush to bring up the suede nap
    - Apply Saphir Médaille d’Or Suede Renovator Spray (condition)
    - Let stand 24 hours (or more) until dry
    - Apply Saphir Médaille d’Or Super Invulner Spray (protect and waterproof)
    - Let stand 24 hours (or more) until dry
    - Place in shoes bags, place bags in boxes, put back in closet until who knows when

There are so many great YouTube videos about shoe care I decided to use the time at home during the pandemic to learn how to do it myself. It has been therapeutic.

Attachment 116428

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a big fan of classic shoes. Prefer casual as sneakers or keds.
    So my top 7:
    - Air max
    - 3 different types of sneakers and 2 keds
    - running shoes for gym

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

come for the bikes, stay for the shoe tips i guess

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArthurHolo View Post
    I'm not a big fan of classic shoes. Prefer casual as sneakers or keds.
    So my top 7:
    - Air max
    - 3 different types of sneakers and 2 keds
    - running shoes for gym
    That's too bad. Last time I looked, my John Lobb's were cheaper than Nike Jordans

Jordan x Dior Air Jordan 1 High Sneakers - Farfetch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see now that I am not alone. Pro tip: use cycling insoles in your moccasins for more speed in the corners.

IMG_1004.jpg

Edit: These are of course all worn with short pants, most of them with socks.
    Last edited by j44ke; 08-26-2020 at 09:29 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I see now that I am not alone. Pro tip: use cycling insoles in your moccasins for more speed in the corners.
    IMG_1004.jpg

Those leather boots need some love. At a minimum, use a leather conditioner so the leather does not dry out and crack.