Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Weather!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Weather!!

Check out the weather radar for the northeast right now (6:45EST) - HUGE thunderstorm on its way. I don't think I have seen one that big on the screen before. Almost the size of Pennsylvania. It may break up when it hits the temperature zones over Manhattan and the ocean, but it looks like a doozy. NJ is going to get pounded if the front edge stays as intense as it is now.

NWS Enhanced Radar Mosaic: Northeast Sector Loop

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Weather!!

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Check out the weather radar for the northeast right now (6:45EST) - HUGE thunderstorm on its way. I don't think I have seen one that big on the screen before. Almost the size of Pennsylvania. It may break up when it hits the temperature zones over Manhattan and the ocean, but it looks like a doozy. NJ is going to get pounded if the front edge stays as intense as it is now.

NWS Enhanced Radar Mosaic: Northeast Sector Loop
    Don't take this personally.
    Biteme.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Don't take this personally.
    Biteme.com
    Hah! I should call you Captain Ahab maybe?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Hah! I should call you Captain Ahab maybe?
    Depends how torrential this mess is. We've been without power for 5 days last go round, 2 large trees down and the hand of g-d smooshed my prize cut leaf Japanese Maple which I'm heartbroken over. I'm not super excited about this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems to have broken up over east NJ. We are getting a pretty thorough soaking. Man, that storm looked like a b-tch though. One big red gash from VT to PA. Got dark around 6:00PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hitched a ride back to the city from Westchester. Proper southern rain there for a bit. You Yankees sure are silly drivers in this stuff.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Standard summer frontal weather. Here's a pic from a couple summers ago in Philadelphia at the airport. We were, literally, probably number 150-200 in line for departure. It was fugly. All departure fixes closed. Just wait for it to pass and wait for your turn to depart and then pick your way around it.

Glad everyone's getting some rain. We really, really need it in WI and MI. Got a bit in MI last night, but not nearly enough.

Storm.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Standard summer frontal weather. Here's a pic from a couple summers ago in Philadelphia at the airport. We were, literally, probably number 150-200 in line for departure. It was fugly. All departure fixes closed. Just wait for it to pass and wait for your turn to depart and then pick your way around it.

Glad everyone's getting some rain. We really, really need it in WI and MI. Got a bit in MI last night, but not nearly enough.

Storm.jpg
    So on a system like this one, which actually stretched in a large bow (as in arrow shooting device) from roughly Vermont to Oklahoma or thereabouts, does that pretty much ground anything going across country? I remember when I used to live in VA, the rule was never change planes in Charlotte NC during the summer, because you either didn't get there or couldn't get out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it broke up yet, it's still here in Central PA and it looks like it does go all the way from here to Oklahoma. We are supposed to have thunderstorms until early evening on Saturday

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EricKeller View Post
    I don't think it broke up yet, it's still here in Central PA and it looks like it does go all the way from here to Oklahoma. We are supposed to have thunderstorms until early evening on Saturday
    You're right. It is still there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone talks about the weather.
    No one does anything about it.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks like the system just rained itself out and the remnants headed south and east of us, interesting to look at the radar for the last 20 hours or so.

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    in the winter in Salt Lake City, they are constantly seeding the clouds around the airport, does that count? There is an inversion keeping all the pollution and whatever moisture is in the air to the west of the mountains and makes it really hard to see the runway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was 102*F at my house last night when I got home at 5pm.

So I cut the grass. Fun.

First night we've had without thunderstorms in a while.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Just wait until my secret plans are complete... (cackle)
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'tis the season for t-storms. There's a fair amount of confused frontal activity right now in the NE quarter of the US and there will likely be more. Last night's weather was related to a cold front pushing through if I recall correctly. They do rain themselves out usually.

Last night's line of weather was totally typical for July in the eastern US. Nothing I haven't seen for years. This is a current picture of frontal activity. I'm hoping for more weather today. We need the rain.

As for flying around them? My advice to those who travel is:

1. Fly in the mornings.
    2. Fly direct whenever possible.
    3. Don't show up at the airport at the last second.
    4. Don't book 20 minute connections on Priceline on different, often competing airlines and expect the airlines to give a shit about you.
    5. Buy lounge access. It's a way better place to spend time than in a gate area for a 200 person airplane and there are only 75 seats in the gate area.
    6. The airlines don't get you hotels for weather irregularities. If you are going to be disrupted, have a list of hotels.

Connections get really, really screwed up in the afternoons. I fly from our hubs to the outstations a lot and we get delayed in the afternoons far more than we do in the mornings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I blame TooTall's truck for all of this.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000
    'tis the season for t-storms. There's a fair amount of confused frontal activity right now in the NE quarter of the US and there will likely be more. Last night's weather was related to a cold front pushing through if I recall correctly. They do rain themselves out usually.

Last night's line of weather was totally typical for July in the eastern US. Nothing I haven't seen for years. This is a current picture of frontal activity. I'm hoping for more weather today. We need the rain.

As for flying around them? My advice to those who travel is:

1. Fly in the mornings.
    2. Fly direct whenever possible.
    3. Don't show up at the airport at the last second.
    4. Don't book 20 minute connections on Priceline on different, often competing airlines and expect the airlines to give a shit about you.
    5. Buy lounge access. It's a way better place to spend time than in a gate area for a 200 person airplane and there are only 75 seats in the gate area.
    6. The airlines don't get you hotels for weather irregularities. If you are going to be disrupted, have a list of hotels.

Connections get really, really screwed up in the afternoons. I fly from our hubs to the outstations a lot and we get delayed in the afternoons far more than we do in the mornings.
    Last nights sensible weather turned out to be pretty typical for july in the NE, but the forecast parameters were pretty alarming... the CAPE values were close to 5000 in parts of jersey and eastern PA, with lifted indices of -9... you don't see that outside of the midwest/plains too often. It could have been a lot worse. The terrain and the ocean often saves the metro northeast from midwest style supercells.