Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Question about oxygen-propane setup

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Question about oxygen-propane setup

Hi. This is my first post here. Recently, I decided I was going to build a single speed cross frame, and I have tons of questions

I read a book telling me to use MAPP gas, but it does not seem ideal. At my old job at the dental lab, I used an oxygen-propane setup to melt metals for crown and bridge frameworks which I still have access to. To have a flame with a consistent temperature every time, I would limit the pressure on the oxygen regulator. I light up the propane, turn up the oxygen all the way till it hits the limit, and then turn back the propane until I had my desired flame size.

Does anyone know if this setup would work well? If so, what pressure should I limit the oxygen to for silver brazing, is there a formula or online calculator anywhere based on flame temp. Being a mechanical engineer, i should know this, but I don't feel like digging up my thermo book.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Question about oxygen-propane setup

Get an Oxy-Acetylene set up.
    (and welcome to the VS)
    Luke
    “So this is how the world works, all energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet." - HST

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Question about oxygen-propane setup

Quote Originally Posted by wojtek View Post
    Hi. This is my first post here. Recently, I decided I was going to build a single speed cross frame, and I have tons of questions

I read a book telling me to use MAPP gas, but it does not seem ideal. At my old job at the dental lab, I used an oxygen-propane setup to melt metals for crown and bridge frameworks which I still have access to. To have a flame with a consistent temperature every time, I would limit the pressure on the oxygen regulator. I light up the propane, turn up the oxygen all the way till it hits the limit, and then turn back the propane until I had my desired flame size.

Does anyone know if this setup would work well? If so, what pressure should I limit the oxygen to for silver brazing, is there a formula or online calculator anywhere based on flame temp. Being a mechanical engineer, i should know this, but I don't feel like digging up my thermo book.
    You are correct about Mapp/air, but it will ignite that book quite nicely.

oxy/propane is a viable alternative to oxy/acetylene
    What size torch does this dental lab have?
    I think Strawberry Andy (not on here to the best of by knowledge but on Framebuilders) uses oxy/propane so may be able to provide more usefull info.

IIRC when I borrowed my wifes oxy/propane setup and stuck my torch head on I stepped up a nozzle size and kept pressure at 5 and 5 and shot for a neutralish flame.